Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on booking an overnight stop please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - a large group of us will be driving to LaTania for the Easter Holidays.
We are planning on arriving in Calais early afternoon on Good Friday.
We know the route well - but we usually drive it in one go, however, have decided, for a change to leave a day early.
I am looking for advice for where/how to look for a hotel on route for an overnight stop - we would like to get at least close to Lyon - possibly a bit further??
We prefer / usually take the A5, A31, A39, A40 route
Any advide greatly received with thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dippy, what sort of hotel, do you need family rooms? Logis de France website is as good a place as any to start looking. Choose a location on the map, and put in your requirements. I often use booking.com to search an area then look for the hotel online elsewhere.
Novotels are a decent enough chain and there's a lot of them in France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Google Maps will also give you an idea of hotels etc, just click on a town to see what's there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dippy, I'd have thought Lyon is a good 8-hours from Calais, certainly possible on the afternoon but may be limiting any plans for tea?

Have a look around Macon, not that much further north from Lyon, is a good selection of hotels just off motorway. An early start from here will see you in resort by lunch easily
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dippy, we are booked in at the "fasthotel" in Albertville, for the Friday evening before feb half term, reasonably cheap and its right next door to the big hypermarche, so ideal for a shop for provisions before we head up the mountain to les menuires on the Saturday.

not sure about availability for your dates, as we booked ours in june and they were fully booked not long afterwards!!!!

like @Hells Bells, mentioned, we also use booking.com as it usually gives you a good deal of flexibility on free cancellations if required.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/booking/map-search.shtml
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats super - thank you all very much - great ideas.
Would need 1 family room - rest all couples etc.
Hoping have not left it too late - only just realised the Friday is Good Friday!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dippy, Not peak ski season and I don't think Good Friday is a BH in France either??? Sure you'll find somewhere
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done this journey at that chunnel crossing time many times and I always stop over at Chambery.

Chambery is 540 miles/7.5 hours from Calais so is far enough down to leave you only a 75-90 mins journey to La Tania (leave at 8am and be on the slope at 10am) but is not too far for two people to drive without getting over tired plus you'll be there early evening so plenty of time for a beer/dinner etc.

Chambery is also noticeably cheaper for accommodation as you've not quite hit the 'skiing' towns of Albertville, Bourg & Moutier etc but it's still close enough for proper winter diesel at the right price from the supermarket which is just off the main road.

We always do it on the cheap so stay in the F1 at Chambery Nord and there's a Courtepaille grill round the corner. We stay B&B so we can 'liberate' a pack lunch for on the slope the next day.

On the return journey we ski all day then do the 135 miles/2.5 hours drive to Lyon for another F1 stop over. From Lyon it's only 475 miles/7.5 hours to Calais for a late afternoon chunnel back.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 29-12-17 13:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/booking/map-search.shtml

That (ibis) (formule1) real plastichotels Toofy Grin
And go as close as possible to have a hole additional ski day. Madeye-Smiley and same on way back! to have 2 additional ski days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for helpful replies - really not fussed about arriving in time to ski for the day ( would have already had 2 ski hols before this one) - also will have kids with us who have never hit the slopes before. Just want to arrive with plenty of time to get kids kitted out and well settled in.
Are F1 hotels the ones where you share bathroom/toilet facilites?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dippy, yes they are, so you may want something a bit more expensive with your own bathroom if you're a family.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells-bells - at my age I definately want my own bathroom!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ibis budget does it. Clean plastic. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dippy me too the thought of creeping out of a hotel room in the middle of the night to find a filthy toilet send shudders down my spine. Logis Hotels can be very reasonable, have ensuites, and often a restaurant for a meal.
latest report
we've used www.appartcity.com a few times, good for large groups as a studio will do four of you easily.
snow conditions
@altis, BIG Thank you for your great advice (and everyone else) - used your link to successfully book rooms (x7 of them)! For our overnight stop - close to Chambery.
Cheers - and Happy new year to you all.
x
snow report
Look at La Motte Servolex in Chambery Nord, we have stopped here loads of times when driving from Calais. You have a Formula 1, a Premiere Classe and a Campanile. So choice of 3.

Also a great restaurant in walking distance called Pizza Pepone, link enclosed

http://www.pizza-pepone.com/

also a carrefour and a super u for fuel and shopping

Normally takes us about 7-8 hours drive from Calais
ski holidays
http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home Fine for a one night stop
snow report
Dippy wrote:

Are F1 hotels the ones where you share bathroom/toilet facilites?

We've used them a lot for crash pads. The facilities are shared but they are generally spotlessly clean. They are also extremely inexpensive but you only ever get three to a room. We used to book two rooms when the kids were small......best deal I ever got was 18 euro for two rooms...probably not be that cheap now TBF.
latest report
up

looking great
snow report
agree with @Hells Bells, we always go for Logis hotels. Privately run, often with a restaurant on the premises.
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, Thank you so much - have already booked an Ibis but this restaurant is only 9 minutes drive away - so have made a note of it.
ski holidays
If your going it gets very busy at half term and Friday nights. We used to arrive at about 1600 after getting off the chunnel at about 0800 French time. However Mrs Baggins seems to think pizza pepone doesn't open till 1900. But either phone or email. But food is good. Great prices and kid friendly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy