Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend trip 8th-11th Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to pull the trigger for trip departing Thursday evening the 8th, coming back Sunday evening the 11th.

At the moment, flying LHR-MUNICH (£140rtn), car hire 3 days (£50), drive to Westendorf (2 hours), 3 nights B&B accommodation (£80), 3 days ski pass (£120)

Any suggestions better than this, or alternatives? Would prefer not driving, but train connections for late flight arrivals not very good, hence the hire car above.

Any tips/hints if I go ahead with this booking, in terms of the ski area/transport/other?

FWIW, I'm a single skier, 50yo, love off piste and advanced piste/fast cruisers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My only offering is that it is February half-term that weekend - have you confirmed the accomodation availability / cost?
I have no personal experience of booking for weekend trips, but would imagine that this weekend could be a more difficult date to find good / reasonably priced weekend accomodation.
Hope it all works out though!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No suitably timed/priced flights to Innsbruck or Salzburg? Not sure what the situation is with snow tyres from Munich.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dw832 wrote:
No suitably timed/priced flights to Innsbruck or Salzburg? Not sure what the situation is with snow tyres from Munich.

In fairly sure all hire cars from Munich at that time of year will have winter tyres. When we hired a car last March we checked when we picked it up and the nice lady said of course, all of their cars have winter tyres.

Munich has the advantage of not being as sensitive to the weather as Innsbruck.

Westendorf is a lovely resort but I don't think there was much challenging there and not sure about the off piste. It really felt like a family resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done this sort of thing quite a few times from Munich and am also doing a trip in late January to Zell am see for 5 days skiing (fly out Friday evening fly back Wednesday evening) but have also done a few 3/4 day skiing trips too. The reason for using Munich is to do with the flight times giving you a late flight in and out, meaning I can depart straight from work and ski on the final day - all very important on a limited duration trip and to maximise skiing time. I even went to Soll for the night skiing to give me extra skiing time!

Lufthansa are good and let you take your skis and a case for free if you book the right ticket.

Car hire is easy - check that the hire company is in the airport. I nearly always use Budget car rental with no issues at all - snow tyres included. The drive to some resorts in that area is quite easy along flat (ish) roads and Westendorf is one of them thats easy to get to, though really heavy snow could affect your journey.

As your flying in at night check that your accomadation will allow you to arrive late as a lot aren't keen. Ive got this problem with my trip in January so will be checking into a cheap hotel Ibis just of the motorway in south Munich (Putzbrunn) and then leave really early in the morning for the 1st lift.

As I'm going abit further (to zell) than Westendorf, I am skiing at a resort en route for the 1st day to break up the Journey and have also always wanted to ski Fieberbrun so will take advantage of driving through by stopping there for the 1st day. The good thing about using a hire car is that you have a great storage space/changing area for your ski gear especially if skiing the day you are arriving/departing from the airport.

Westendorf/ski Welt is a huge area and far more than enough for 3 days - it almost links into Kitzbuhel too, via a short bus from the bottom of the piste over the back, so you might want to get the right lift ticket to take advantage of this.

Resorts i've done 3/4 day trips from Munich are -
Soll, Saalbach, St Anton, Iscghl, st Johan in Tyrol/selva val Gardena (long 2 day road trip from st Johan due to poor snow) and Mayrhofen.

The late flight back from Munich allows a full days skiing, but keep an eye on the weather as for on my return from the Iscghl trip I only just got on the plane. There was really heavy snow and the Motorway into Munich got gridlocked causing me to arrive at the check in gate a few mins after it was closed. It was only that a helpful check in girl made a phone call and the fact the plane was delayed an hour that I got on and didn't have an extra night in Munich. Though as your trip is returning on a Sunday this might not be as much as an issue as my midweek return on that trip.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 1-01-18 16:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve done this lots of times - 5pm flight to Munich, drive up to resort, arrive midnight depending on length of drive. Ischgl is a long way from Munich (3-4 hrs normally) but Zell/Saalbach/Kitzbuhel/Mayrhofen are all closer. On a good day you can get to Kitz in 90mins - and can avoid the need to buy an Austrian motorway vignette by getting off the autobahn at the border. Sunday nights back into Munich are very busy so allow plenty of time for the drive back - a 1-2 hr delay due to heavy traffic would not be unusual as all the weekenders return home.

As per discussion on countless other threads, the main issue with this sort of weekend trip is finding accommodation - most Austrian hotels want full week bookings. Or if they will let you book a short stay, then they prefer a Sat changeover so that they don’t lose the possibility of 2 full-week bookings. So Wed-Sat or Sat-Tue you are more likely to find accommodation, although these don’t maximise your weekend skiing time and there are fewer late flights on a Sat night. You might be lucky if you just need one room or are prepared to switch hotels on Sat.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy