Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Idiots without / who can't put on chains & think winter tyres will be ok

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting picture, @Weathercam - a good one for the people who claim they won't need chains because the "roads are kept clear". Some people think the need for chains is just about deep snow, which is far from the case.

And that picture could easily be duplicated in mid April.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Interesting picture, @Weathercam - a good one for the people who claim they won't need chains because the "roads are kept clear". Some people think the need for chains is just about deep snow, which is far from the case.

And that picture could easily be duplicated in mid April.

Not really. Unless google translate is giving me duff info. It says "In question, the snow, the wind and the fog. Snowdrifts and reduced visibility quickly made all traffic impossible. Especially when a bus, getting in the way, was forced to chain. The other vehicles involved, despite winter equipment (snow tires or chains), were unable to move forward, blocked by the coach and by the extremely slippery road."

So the bus had chains and the other vehicles had winters or chains.

It's not clear to me what actually was the problem.

Sure there is a picture with a car straddling the road but it's not clear what exactly is going on and I see no bus!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My reading - the Bus had to stop to put chains on ("..was forced to chain.."), blocking the road for other vehicles
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob, sure but then once the chains were on everything should have been clear again no?

Bear in mind the article said 30 vehicles involved it's hardly an M25 pile up is it...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was meeting someone who was on the Grenoble bus much later, and they were nigh on two hours late (19:00) and they said that many a muppet was putting chains on way too late, and some without chains.

The event reported I think was much earlier in the day.

Probably not helped by numerous SH's arriving from Grenoble too adding to the chaos Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
@albob, sure but then once the chains were on everything should have been clear again no?

The stopped cars and bus blocked the snow ploughs from accessing the snow drifts which were too big for cars or bus to pass.

However Marcel Cannat who is in charge of the department's roads said none of the 30 cars were equipped with chains or snow tires and had to be towed before work on clearing the drifts could start. With the amount of snow in the photos that seems more likely as I'd expect someone with winter tires to be able to get moving even on a slippery road (maybe not if it is freezing rain).

As someone who hates getting out of the car and who hasn't fitted chains in 20 years I must admit it has been touch and go at times recently getting over some hills with just winters. In general I apply the rule of Speed and Power when the going gets tough. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There’s a certain set of conditions we have experienced which I am quite alert to now. It’s when late in the afternoon you have light snowfall on a road, vehicles turning the snow to a slushy thin layer, then suddenly around 4-5pm the temp drops fast, to well below freezing. If there’s only low vehicle numbers and the road has not been salted, the surface becomes a glassy continuous sheen of 1-2mm of ice, and winters offer some, but scant grip. Any incline becomes quite a challenge. It doesn’t happen often around our way, but when it does there can be traffic chaos.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, yes that's a very true scenario.

5cms of fresh cold snow is not an issue, however wet slushy snow with icy on road surface, chaos, which is pretty well what I encountered and instigated this thread.

And obviously exasperated at weekends.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
There’s a certain set of conditions we have experienced which I am quite alert to now. It’s when late in the afternoon you have light snowfall on a road, vehicles turning the snow to a slushy thin layer, then suddenly around 4-5pm the temp drops fast, to well below freezing. If there’s only low vehicle numbers and the road has not been salted, the surface becomes a glassy continuous sheen of 1-2mm of ice, and winters offer some, but scant grip. Any incline becomes quite a challenge. It doesn’t happen often around our way, but when it does there can be traffic chaos.

Some of our local roads suffer from this quite regularly in the winter (we live in rural Perthshire). Winter tyres help for sure but the road can become treacherous very quickly especially with a change of altitude, resulting in sheet ice with little/no warning. I worry more about that than heavy snow as both our cars and big, AWD with winter tyres. Heavy snow is only annoying because we invariably end up being called out to rescue someone stuck on the high road over the hills from the main road to the village, as many people don't put winter tyres on. I have seen an increase recently in people using all season tyres which helps somewhat.

The other thing we get is heavy fog on very cold mornings creating a thin layer of ice.

I carry chains in my car as I do a lot of off-road miles and they are great for towing stuck cars out of muddy fields, have only had to use them once for snow but a few times for the conditions you describe to tackle downhill slopes. That said I often need to go out in inclement conditions which many others would probably avoid! The best answer would be studded tyres, unfortunately not allowed here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy