Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Abondance or La Chapelle d'Abondance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which if these ski resorts is more compact: village/restos/lodging and ski (pistes/ESF) all within walking distance? If both, any reason to pick one over the other? Prettier, more restaurant style or activities to choose from? We are a relatively beginner skier family wit kids who would like to ski and try a day or two of snowboarding. Also, I like the idea of the skating rink on the lake which seems to be reachable by both, but since it's on a lake, does this mean you can only skate during the day? Am assuming there are no lights strung up for nighttime skating? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@K78m, Abondance is reasonably compact but to get to the ski area a bit of a walk.

La Chapelle is more spread with two ski areas, Braitaz which connects to Torgon and then Chatel and onwards to the PDS and Cret Beni which is self contained, walkable from the village centre and where the ski school is based. PLenty of restaurants in the village but only one on Cret Beni.

I've never heard of skating on a lake in either (but as not much of a skater perhaps I wasn't listening).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love the village in La Chapelle, but it's good to have a car to get to braitaz. Crét Beni is fine but quite small. I would not describe Abondance as a destination ski station.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Abondance is a pretty village around a square with a nice Abbey to visit, and nice cheese.
The skiing is limited, but if you like touring, you can hike up from Drouzin Le Mont and over into Abondance, and vice-versa.
Abondance has Ice Driving ( Porsche and Subaru) but not skating.
Lac de La Plagne is a short drive from the village, but you can't skate on it.
La Chapelle would be better for the following reasons:
1 - Le Fer Rouge : Microbrewery with really good beers and home made burgers + happy hour
2 - Les Cornettes : Good quality restaurant that has continued to turn out top notch meals despite the sad death of the patriarch last year.
3 - Easy to park by the lifts ( the car park in Abondance at the foot of the Gondola is pretty small in comparison).
4 - There's a sweet little boarder X for when your children have got the first turns mastered.
5- It is nearer Chatel ( which does have an ice rink). https://www.skiinfo.fr/actualites/a/617065/patinoire-de-ch%C3%A2tel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all these replies. I have to admit... I am going in circles trying to decide where to go this year. Will start a new post and hope some of you will guide me in the right direction! Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy