Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do snowBoarders sit in the middle of the piste?

Poster: A snowHead

ESF Boarder sKooL
Perhaps because the ESF teach them to... rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-12-17 18:33; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's handed down by their "instructors" Came across a friend "teaching" his wife to board, guess where?
Sitting in the middle of the piste beneath a blind crest........................................
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Let's not start that old chestnut, it's the same question as to why skiers all stand in the middle of the piste. All responsible hill users should know the FIS code (as opposed to the "rules") re stopping at side and being visible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
..because the bars aren't open yet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
to get to the other side? oh, hang on, that's the chicken joke.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So you can see them?
Anyway, I'd rather have them there than shredding lines through the powder Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come across that in Andorra a few times Sad

Learned my boarding in Canada, they were very clear about where to (not) stop, it was drummed into me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I once landed on one, who decided to take a long rest, in one of the hollows in the series of jumps, on the Terrain Park of the L2A Glacier. He must have sat there for at least 5 minutes, completely hidden, before I set off.

Luckily, neither one of us was hurt.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 21-12-17 13:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd feel very vulnerable sitting in the middle of the piste with my back facing uphill.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kb36, I think you're missing the point (are you a snowBoarder?).

I'm used to seeing snowBoarders sat, vulnerable in the middle of the piste, (to a certain extent it's just natural selection at work) - I just thought it irresponsible of an ESF instructor to be teaching that way.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree that it is indeed irresponsible but I am sure there will be similar footage of ski instructors stood right in the middle of pistes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always assumed that they where rebels and so did it because they where told not to NehNeh

On a side note though, I've always been told to stop well to the side in (ski) lessons and even then there's usually someone who wants to go off the side of the piste too so nowhere is safe!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kb36 wrote:
I agree that it is indeed irresponsible but I am sure there will be similar footage of ski instructors stood right in the middle of pistes.
Have at it mate - post it here! Let's show them up when they're being irresponsible.

Gregory and I were on our way, at some considerable speed down a quiet black run in Courchevel. Suddenly, we came over a hump to be presented with a dozen pairs of skis, discarded right in the middle of the piste. To our right, at the edge of the piste was an ESF instructor with his class of kids all hitting the snow with their ski poles. Who knows what the exercise was but leaving all those skis behind a blind rise was totally out of order. Unfortunately no photo on that occasion though.

It's my impression, though derived entirely anecdotally, that ESF instructors are far more prone than independents to treat public pistes as their own personal territory.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's my impression, though derived entirely anecdotally, that ESF instructors are far more prone than independents to treat public pistes as their own personal territory.

Seems that way to me too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I set out to find a spot on a video where I thought I would find ESF ski instructors obstructing the piste with their group.

Unfortunately (for us boardies) I could only raise you to 2 ESF snowboard instructors blocking the piste, within 10m of each other!

ski holidays
Seems to be a theme here, of poor teaching techniques wink

Fernie instructors,

Couple of instructors in Utah blocking a bottleneck

I've also had the unfortunate luck to ski over a blind rise and stare at a group sat across the slope with an instructor. they werent impressed with me stopping - spray, but the instructor did take full responsibility and apologise for the actions.

TBH most of the time it just makes for an interesting chicane on the slope Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@BoardieK, @Bones, crikey, those are a bit shocking. Shocked
snow conditions
Because all the skiers are clogging up the sides of the piste Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Same reason as MAMIL's ride two abreast?
ski holidays
Why do snowBoarders sit in the middle of the piste?

Because the lift exits and ramps were already full. NehNeh
ski holidays
@king key, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
admin wrote:

Meh - me too. ESF school - 25 kid snake blocking the entire piste. Any other school....25 kid snake blocking half the piste.

Sharing is caring.
snow conditions
Because it’s the best place to be proper sick on the mountain.
ski holidays
I have to add my name to the list of people that have nearly hit snowboarders that have been sat on the piste just over a blind brow, but I also nearly hit a skier that had stopped halfway down a skiercross run, right in the middle. There are clever people and idiots in every group of people, it's just the ratio that changes slightly rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-12-17 7:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My SIL is a boarder and she constantly has a go at me for not wearing a helmet but she walks into the middle of the piste, just under a blind brow to sit down and put her board on, she also rode her bike into a parked pickup and broke vertibrae and knee ligaments, rode her bike into a tree and knocked her teeth out. I'm no slouch on skis but I choose to use common sense to recognise hazards and avoid accidents in the first place.
ski holidays
@admin, are you trying to start a war Shocked
Dude, its the time of peace and goodwill to all folk (not too sure if that includes snowboarders though) Twisted Evil
latest report
[quote="Thornyhill"]
admin wrote:

Meh - me too. ESF school - 25 kid snake blocking the entire piste. Any other school....25 kid snake blocking half the piste.

Sharing is caring.

Actually, the reason I've slowed right down at the instant of the above photo is not because of the barricade of boardies but because of the snake of 25 ESF children just out of shot to my left!
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
I have to add my name to the list of people that have nearly hit snowboarders that have been sat on the piste just over a blind brow, but I also nearly hit a skier that had stopped halfway down a skiercross run, right in the middle. There are clever people and idiots in every group of people, it's just the ratio that changes slightly rolling eyes

You nearly hit me and I was stood OFF the side of the piste Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill wrote:
admin wrote:

Sharing is caring.

Ah the Python - once your wrapped up in their, you ain't getting out!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ah, but were you standing right in the middle of the off-piste @PaulC1984?
ski holidays
Apparently it's because they find it easier to push off from a downhill slope than a flat one. This of course could still be accomplished at the side of the piste..!
ski holidays
I agree. Seems to be more prevalent than in the past, my other favourite is choosing to stop on the outside of a tight narrow bend, effectively making the bend tighter and narrower, and if anyone loses an edge becoming skittles for them to barrel into.

Surely in the interests of PR and self improvement they have a "report an instructor" button on a website somewhere so we can share our delightful images of inconsiderate behaviour?

We must also have dozens of pictures of their instructors taking inexperienced skiiers off piste without any kind of safety equipment too, right?
latest report
Haha. That would be a negative Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Come to think of it, I recollect a lot of pole pointing, a lazer appearing on my chest and a large ginger object heading in my direction in a tucked position prior to said incident.

Perhaps it was his intention afterall Puzzled Puzzled Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I once saw some skiers attempting a blue run without having performed a full written risk analysis and peer review - idiots !
snow conditions
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
Surely in the interests of PR and self improvement they have a "report an instructor" button on a website somewhere so we can share our delightful images of inconsiderate behaviour?
Perhaps the back ESF jackets should bear the inscription "How's my instructing?" and a phone number for feedback? Although I suspect providing such feedback wouldn't result in much more than a distance shrug and a tele-pout.
ski holidays
skivor wrote:
Apparently it's because they find it easier to push off from a downhill slope than a flat one. This of course could still be accomplished at the side of the piste..!

Actually, its because some ride goofy footed & others regular footed. So when they start regular stance will likely go right & first turn left, while goofy footed would go left & first turn right.
So the only time a group or learners are at the closest point is when in the middle... but they should really stack up behind each other, rather than across the slope.

To be fair, Skiers stand around in the middle of slopes as well... and from a boarder point of view, there is nothing worse than approaching a snaking line of learner skiers. Especially kids.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
and from a boarder point of view, there is nothing worse than approaching a snaking line of learner skiers. Especially kids.
Actually that's no different from a boarder's pov than a skier's - the obstacle is the same. The only point of relevance is how much control you have over your own speed and direction to negotiate this complex obstacle - from that pov though, I can see why it may be a greater encumbrance to boarders, on average.
ski holidays
So that I can spray them with snow as I’m passing(and it’s the perfect height to hit them in the face). Toofy Grin
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur,

I have a whole album of an ESF group skiing(I apply that term to myself very loosely since I was on my back bottom most of time) several itineraries in Valdisere and only the instructor had a shovel and probe, I didn’t know any better at the time of course as it was only my 3rd or 4th week.

We later discovered that several of the “students” were in fact his mates from the village and he was using the lessons as a free day out for them.
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Come across that in Andorra a few times Sad

Learned my boarding in Canada, they were very clear about where to (not) stop, it was drummed into me.

It seems to happen everyone, and sure maybe there are some resorts that are better than others but anecdotal evidence or 'sample of 1' evidence is pretty meaningless. And to demonstrate this... I learned my skiing in Andorra, they were very clear about where to (not) stop, it was drummed into me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy