Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel Le Praz, Christmas 2017

Poster: A snowHead
I’m in Le Praz from 24-31 Dec 2017 with two sons (adults, or so they reckon anyway Smile ). We’re fairly fit, intermediate/adv skiers and hoping to ski as many miles as possible, after we’ve warmed up. I organised a Snowheads group, out of Meribel Mottaret a few years ago (cracking trip in 2008, with a superb crowd snowHead ) so I’ve got some small idea of the Trois Vallees.

I’d appreciate any tips, on which ski rental shops in Le Praz are doing good work (and have good quality equipt) and also which online discount codes would work best with them.

I’d also appreciate any tips for some good stretching routes that we could do, out and back in a long day, starting from Le Praz and returning to same point. For example, from getting on the first lifts at Le Praz, how about a push across to Cime Caron (3200m) and back? What would be a reasonable time estimate on that route for a group that skis fairly hard, and doesn’t stop to take photos (well, not too much anyway). Subject of course to lift queues!

Are any other Snowheads in Le Praz/Courchevel for Xmas? Check in and say hi. snowHead

Is anyone in Le Praz now? Any reports greatly appreciated.

let it snow...

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you can get some good route ideas here https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
accel wrote:
first lifts at Le Praz, how about a push across to Cime Caron (3200m) and back? What would be a reasonable time estimate on that route for a group that skis fairly hard, and doesn’t stop to take photos (well, not too much anyway). Subject of course to lift queues!

4 hours? a bit under perhaps? It's an interesting question. Picking the best route and sticking to it would be part of the challenge. I'm thinking Cote Brune is a key lift in that itinerary
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@accel, I'm in La Tania with wife and two children next week. Currently looks like pleasant conditions over the weekend, with snow coming in on Tuesday. I've been to 3V a good few times - stayed in Le Praz once. It's a fair trek to the very far side of the domain but perfectly doable on a good day. The queues used to build up later in the afternoon on the returning connecting lifts so leave plenty of time to return. I have fond memories of skiing from the top of Saulire all the way home at the end of the day!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there’s only two hire shops in Le Praz - Gormier and Olympic (both centrally located). Friends have used Olympic - what they hired looked a good standard to me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

4 hours? a bit under perhaps? It's an interesting question. Picking the best route and sticking to it would be part of the challenge. I'm thinking Cote Brune is a key lift in that itinerary

I think that is probably possible but I'd suggest you want to leave longer. Even from 1850 I've always found that I didn't have as much time as I'd like over in VT. If you are going then you want to ski Cime de Carron, perhaps over into the 4th valley, a quick bash or two down Cascades then head back without ending up in Mottaret getting stressed about whether you'll get up to the top of Saulire before the lifts shut (I imagine the lifts and queues there are better than when I was last there).

Put it this way - when I worked a ski season in 1850 we used to reserve VT days for our full day off.

If you want to get the miles in there are loads of options - aim for La Masse one day, St Martin another. If it gets really busy then head over for 1650.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not forgetting the great skiing in Courchevel itself - Combe Pylonnes, M, Suisses. The couloirs and of course Jockeys into Le Praz at the end of the day is a must. As @jedster, says if it’s crowded head over to 1650 - never busy over there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use Olympic Sports for hire, opposite the Hotel. The equipment has always been first-rate.
Le Praz to VT takes about 90 to 100 mins if there are no lift queues and no faffing.

Forret, Bouc Blanc then ski down to Biollay then Suisses. From there ski down into Mottaret.
Or Village, walk to Le Croissette, Verdons, Saulire. From there ski down into Mottaret.
Or Village, Plantrey, Biollay, Suisses. Or Village, Plantrey, Rocher de l'Hombre (pomma!), Saulire etc

In Mottaret, Plattiers (1 and 2, now a single gondola), then ski down to Cote Brune. From there ski down Goitshel into VT for a coffee at the hut on the top of the nursery slope. You then have the whole of VT at your mercy.

There is some great skiing to be had on La Masse. It is often quiet compared to VT. The restaurant at the top of Masse 1 is good and not expensive. (Looks like just a set of stairs leading into the rock face, but go down the stairs and through the door into the restaurant proper)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the local runs are pretty damn good! Take Follieres down to LT when it's been freshly pisted in the morning, also the runs down to Le Praz are very decent runs in themselves.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What @kitenski, about the Escapade could be an idea.
You don't have to do it in a day. You can take a few days, a week or all season.
Go through the lift turnstile with your pass at the specific listed ski lifts and they are registered electronically onto your pass.
Then go to the lift pass office once you have gone through all the 14 or 15 lifts and the guy behind the window will read your pass.
You will get a certificate and if you pay sosmething like €5 they give you a pin badge too.
The lifts are marked on the current piste map and are spread out throughout the 3 valleys.
It's a good way to spread out and see lots of the 3 x valleys. (and also get into Orelle, the 4th valley).
Don't get stuck in the wrong valley when the lifts shut as that can be an expensive mistake. Lift closing times used to be listed on the piste map
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowheads, your advice is absolute gold. Thank you. I'm even more excited than I was before.

@kitenski @247snowman I love challenges and while I'm not much for badges, I enjoy the feeling of pushing myself a bit to achieve something a bit special (while having lots of fun). So your tips re the Escapade sounds superb. Kudos. Good point @247snowman that we can spread things out, if for any reason we don't complete.

@RUGBY PETER @kditrj2d Thanks for the tips re Olympic and Gormier. It looks like the former is the current leader.

Does anyone know anything about Whitestorm? The Chalet operator introduced them but I'm not totally convinced by a mobile service booking, which their drop-down menu offers in (although they so seem to have a shop in Le Praz). we were told they give 40% discount, but it worked out as 7.6%. It's not yet clear whether they give the 7th day free (as most rental shops seem to declare upfront). The 7th day can make a big difference, as can the option of picking up kit on the day before first day skiing (which also isn't yet clear). Use promo code SILVERSKI

Having said that, it's not about which shop is the cheapest, but who gives the best value and best service all round.

@jedster @red_27 @Layne Marvelous detail on the route and timings. I hadn't considered the 4th valley, I assume it's covered on the 3V lift pass?

@red_27 I guess 4 hrs is a one-way estimate to top of Cime Caron, which means the turn-around point to get back to Le Praz, allowing for busy lifts in Mottaret.

@RUGBY_PETER thanks for good point, for our warm-up and warm-down days. Some super routes which are very nearby.

@Layne enjoy Christmas on the slopes with your family. I can't think of a better way to spend a famly festive. After so many times, now my lads have made it a family tradition.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 22-12-17 11:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re Escapade. I don't think it is on the 3V piste map this year? Whether that means it is no longer offered I don't know - but possible as not many people are going to have an old map.

4th valley (Orelle) is certainly included in the 3V pass. Just be aware that if you do get stuck there it is 90+kms by road back to Le Praz!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think 4 hours is a return trip - certainly @kditrj2d's 1.5 hours one way seems reasonable to me. Assuming you have started early, you then have at least a couple of hours to explore before returning home.

Best to go when the weather is good. Stayed in Brides once and went over to the 4th valley when the weather closed in and it was slow going getting back!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best not to go on a Wednesday- it’s most chalets day off and this seems to put the whole 3 Vallees in ‘explore’ mode, that’s my impression anyway.
As said earlier, don’t cut in too fine coming back. It’s a long way back from the 4th valley and it’s no fun caning it down a crowded piste into Mottaret just as the sun’s going down and the snow’s firming up!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @ecureuil We'll need to be careful to not get carried away exploring the 4th valley. In fact we may do one run, just to tick the box and then get back into explore VT.

@Layne Thanks. I was probably being a tad over-prudent with the timings.

and not Wednesday.. snowHead Thanks @RUGBY_PETER

I wonder if any SH has a promo code that would work at Olympic rental shop in Le Praz?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 22-12-17 12:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@accel, Yes, I meant 4 hours round trip. That's no queues, no faff, no stops for chocolate-chaud...
latest report
@accel, had a week in Le Praz in March and we found plenty of time to play around (incl lunch) in the 4th Valley (nb though it was a very quiet week throughout the 3V with barely a lift queue to be found). Going up to the high point of Orelle and seeing the zip-wire across towards VT is essential, the pistes coming down are brilliant and v quiet. And at some point you've got to get the sweaty adrenaline rush fuelled by the prospect of missing the lift up the last valley, duly rewarded with lots of beer when you just about make it back on time....
latest report
@accel,
Pick up a piste map when your in each valley. i.e 1 x Courch, 1 x Meribel Valley and also 1 in the Bellevue (Val Thorens/St Martin) Valley.
As the 3 x valleys is so big the piste maps in each valley have a more detailed or clearer blown up plan of each valley on the reverse.
2 min diversion to a lift ticket window in the Meribel and VT Valley will make navigating so much easier when your in the other x valleys.
snow report
Thanks @red_27 @Double_Bombardino @247snowman
Great tips and planning advice.
snowHead
ski holidays
@accel, We will be expecting your timed report snowHead
ski holidays
We're in Le Praz at the moment (lunchtime) Smile. Sorry to say that the local 3 valees ski pass office have told me that the Escapade has been stopped. Sad I reckon we'll still plan to do it, even though unofficial. What a pity!
It seemed like a very succesful scheme, so I do wonder why it's stopped. It seems strange that the Trois Valees website still shows the details of the scheme https://www.les3vallees.com/en/escapades-points/escapades-points
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy