Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

to blade or not to blade...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
New to this, so bear with me.... I'm about an advanced intermediate skier (snow & rock level 7 or 8; http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/skis/ability/) and I'm also daft about blading. I'm 5'11'' and ski quite aggressively. The skis I have are "semi-carver" Rossignol 177's and my blades are Salomon 999's. Problem is, I'm torn between skiing and blading, so I'm thinking... how about get new skis that will give the benefits of both? could any experienced bright spark suggest what I should go for? I'm guessing a short, responsive carver? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The new Quechua Very Wed'ze (137cm)? or a 155 carver? Quechua is available from decathlon, BTW
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blade1745, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
blade1745, what about a decent pair of slalom skis? My Rossignol 9S have a short turn radius (10ish metres I think) and are terrific for pure carved turns on moderate pistes, but don't have the limitations of blades. Alternatively, something like the Atomic Metron B5 has a very short radius turn (again, 10ish metres) but will also cut through crud and help you float in powder when you want it to. It's not only baldes that provide short radius carved turns Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Icelantic Scouts 143's or Spruce Mountain 120's - I ordered my Spruce's on monday from Colorado and they should be in Switzerland tomorrow - I went for the Spruce due to the powder use rather than my Salomon 99 snowblades.

Both have good reviews by good skiboarders, I have also seen good reviews about the icelantic scouts at their length they are big enough to ski if you want to http://www.icelanticboards.com/ or http://www.spruceski.com/ I ordered mine through Doc at http://www.skiboards.com there is a forum there too. snowHead

I have seen comments passed about these http://www.rtc-ski.ch/www/deutsch/start/home/index.html but I dont know anyone that rides those.

The Wed'ze I know a blader guy across the lake tried them and they dont work like blades at all, I should be giving them a go in a couple of weeks, if he lets me Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
obelix67, No - I think the Wedze is supposed to feel like a ski, but is just shorter!

blade1745, Short slalom or fun carver skis definitely! At your height if you went to around 150 - 155 you'd have the best of both worlds. Very Happy Very Happy & Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, yes that is what SwisJammer said but if you are "daft about blading" then perhaps he should try it and see ......... from my perspective the Icelantics are next on the to get list.....but not this season - I dont think so anyway - maybe a lottery win could change that Smile

Also Salomon are launching a 120 soon - you might want to have a look at that - I will find out next week if they are like blades or ski's
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just moved from my blades to some Blizzard B52 fun carvers in 150 (12m sidecut). Now I am carving on them as well as I could on my blades but more fun with the faster more drawn out turns. Was looking for something in 120-130 but I couldn't find anything here. Now I'm glad I got the 150s.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
neilswingler, excellent, it is always good to hear of people enjoying the slopes on whatever they are happy on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This really is a top site! Thanks to all you guys taking the time to share the benefit of your opinions - obelix67, can you let me know what you think of those salomons next week?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yup no worries - it will be second hand info but the guy that is testing them is a major skiboarder.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Spruce Mountains arrived just now ....... I snowHead wanna go n play Smile

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/obelix67/Snowblade/DSCF0003.jpg

you can see the difference between the head big easy 94, the salomon 99 and the spruce 120
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
obelix67, your Spruce look as if they will perform well off-piste. Have a great time in the new snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yup thats one reason I ordered them on Monday when I saw the forecast Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think the Wedze is supposed to feel like a ski, but is just shorter!

From my own experience, I think that's right. I have some of the shorter Wedze skis and they're much more like skis than the 99cm Atomic blades I have. My skis are lightweight - Volkl 724 at 158 but the Wedze skis are heavier and fatter. I enjoyed them for everything except high speeds (my idea of high speed though, is probably not very fast at all...) when they feel a bit unstable compared to skis. They're great on moguls, which I struggle with normally. I also enjoy some cross-country, snowshoes and even a snowboard on a soft-snow day. Let's get out on the mountains on as many forms of transport as possible. Not tried a dog sled yet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy