Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets are a must.

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday after just getting off a drag lift two young children fell off behind me letting go of the t bar and firing in my direction. This hit me in the side of my head with enough force to knock me over. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I'm sure I would of been fairly badly injured.
I have been always thinking about my helmet saving myself from falls and hadn't until now thought about other factors that they might protect oneself from. In general I've always been fairly relaxed about health and safety and I'm not generally keen on wrapping everybody in cotton wool.
I wondered what others think about this and if I'm wearing a helmet should I get a back protector now as well.
Were would it stop?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had helmets as kids, muchly because of t-bar risks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I only started wearing a helmet when I was off piste, but after seeing how bad holiday makers actually are at skiing I really began to believe in having it for the pistes more than anything.

Someone crashed into me towards the end of the season, as we tumbled to the ground her ski edge hit me on my ear and split the helmet..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a fairly similar experience to the OP with no helmet on... Result was a eyelid so filled with blood that i couldn't open it for a week and the white of my eye turning (a rather cool looking) blood red for a few months. Strong springs in them things!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now so used to skiing with one that I think I'd find it rather strange skiing without.

As you found out @Jools 837, and as @haigie mentions it's not all about "What if I fall over" etc. but just as much about preventing injuries as a result of getting in the way of others who are having a spill/accident.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
......t-bars, so 1970s Scotland dahling Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Regardless of wearing any type of protection, I'd always make sure I clear that landing area fully ASAP to avoid the primary risk.

You really don't want to get hit by one of those, or any object with similar kinetics.

The loading arrangements space the bars on the wire to make sure of lift loading requirements and time to clear at the top, still need to get off and clear it sharpish though.

I've arrived at some with people trying to collect possessions from leaving area or just standing waiting for someone else in the firing line of pole recoil, you've no options but to get off though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This was made worse by the fact they had decided to close the drag lift halfway up and you only discovered that when you came over a small brow. That's way the kids panicked and fell off. Letting the t bar fly..
Button lifts maybe a little safer because of no pointy bits.?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe T-bars (and kids) should be banned.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helmets are always such a emotive subject on this forum. I'm not big on H&S but now always wear one. As some have already said, falling without a helmet is seldom an issue, but being hit by other skiers is a real issue, especially if they are wearing a helmet. i've witnessed an old ish Austrian expert skier happily skiing nicely down a piste in a bobble hat only to be taken out by an inexperienced, out of control, novice wearing a helmet. the resulting clash of heads left the old guy out cold and motionless for a long time. He needed heli lifting, god knows how bad he was and i hope he recovered well. But this incident taught me a valuable lesson.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As an aside, the reason that T-Bars are usually found on Glaciers, is they use an A Frame construction, which is much easier to anchor onto the ice. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, you need to get out more Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nelly0168 wrote:
......t-bars, so 1970s Scotland dahling Very Happy

eehhh... they're still here mate!

Lechbob wrote:
Maybe T-bars (and kids) should be banned.

T-bars should absolutely be banned.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The venom seems to have gone out of the helmet debate. I think like other things pc we have been indoctrinated by stealth. One day the skiers v boarders debate will go the same way and everyone will ski. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lechbob wrote:
The venom seems to have gone out of the helmet debate. I think like other things pc we have been indoctrinated by stealth. One day the skiers v boarders debate will go the same way and everyone will ski. Twisted Evil
Very Happy

But hasn't much of the venom gone out of the skiers v boarders debate already? As soon as those bloody boarders learn to stop at the side of the piste everything will be cushty.

Also wtf has the helmet thing got to do with political correctness?
ski holidays
agw wrote:

Also wtf has the helmet thing got to do with political correctness?

http://youtube.com/v/99s19HBs-6A Madeye-Smiley
latest report
agw wrote:
wtf has the helmet thing got to do with political correctness?
it is an example of how mindsets change with time with enlightenment and sheep follow. NehNeh
But it might upset people who can't where a helmet because they wear a turban.
agw wrote:
wtf

sounds like closet snowboarder language wink
latest report
So why haven’t the Swiss made it mandatory when their culture is typical safety orientated?

The Swiss Council for Accident Prevention say the average ski related head injuries is 17,000 per year. After several prevention campaigns "Enjoy sport – protect yourself" their 2010 report noted extensive research into the increased use of helmets and the effectiveness of wearing a ski helmet. From the available results of the studies, it is impossible to determine whether primarily light or severe injuries can be prevented. Nevertheless, no precise details on the protective effect of a helmet can be given as the results achieved differ according to the study design.
They note that, “It is important that the helmet fits as snugly as comfort allows and that the chin straps are always tightly fastened. The protective effect is strongly dependent on the impact speed of the head against an obstacle or the ground”.

The study noted some useful recommendations such as ski rental companies supplying a helmet free of charge and aerial cableway companies could ensure that only advertising in which snow-sport participants wear helmets is shown in their snow-sport areas. “The message to young people should on no account be that not wearing a helmet is cool.”

According to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA),there has been an associated 50% reduction in head injuries for those wearing helmets.

Personally, there are enough silly people waving their ski stocks around and inappropriately carrying their skis on their shoulders, to ensure that I put my helmet on around the train station as well as on the slopes.
ski holidays
yay a helmet thread
latest report
@HoneyBunny, - been a while, just about to liven up too Toofy Grin
latest report
ozibird wrote:

According to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA),there has been an associated 50% reduction in head injuries for those wearing helmets.

Got any links for that?
snow conditions
https://world-snow-day.com/en/News/The_Brave_Ski_Mom_Helmet_safety

https://www.nsaa.org/media/68045/NSAA-Facts-About-Skiing-Snowboarding-Safety-10-1-12.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989528/

apparently the research is so varied with results that authorities are loathe to make helmet wearing compulsory. For Me, I like to reduce my risks. rolling eyes
ski holidays
ozibird wrote:
https://world-snow-day.com/en/News/The_Brave_Ski_Mom_Helmet_safety

https://www.nsaa.org/media/68045/NSAA-Facts-About-Skiing-Snowboarding-Safety-10-1-12.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989528/

apparently the research is so varied with results that authorities are loathe to make helmet wearing compulsory. For Me, I like to reduce my risks. rolling eyes

Doesn't say that in any of those.
snow conditions
FIrst link: "Another study, from Eurosafe (using Canadian data) found a reduction in head injuries from 21% - 45% with the greatest benefit for children under the age of 10 (a 50% reduction)."
snow report
ozibird wrote:
FIrst link: "Another study, from Eurosafe (using Canadian data) found a reduction in head injuries from 21% - 45% with the greatest benefit for children under the age of 10 (a 50% reduction)."

Which one says "According to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA),there has been an associated 50% reduction in head injuries for those wearing helmets. "?
snow conditions
@skeksis, Very Happy I was thinking of Stewart Lee's nan - too lazy to find it though - thanks
ski holidays
its been said theres a 50% reduction in head injuries with people wearing helmets, well i think thats impossible to prove. to prove this you must have exactly the same accident twice, with and without a helmet.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
agw wrote:
wtf has the helmet thing got to do with political correctness?
it is an example of how mindsets change with time with enlightenment and sheep follow. NehNeh
But it might upset people who can't where a helmet because they wear a turban.
agw wrote:
wtf

sounds like closet snowboarder language wink

You sound as confused as Stewart Lee's nan! Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
compostcorner wrote:
its been said theres a 50% reduction in head injuries with people wearing helmets, well i think thats impossible to prove. to prove this you must have exactly the same accident twice, with and without a helmet.

And the profile of helmet wearers has changed considerably in recent years.

It was formerly the preserve of young skiers who who skied a lot and quickly, and racers, People who would have many high speed accidents.

It's quite possible that the same reduction (30-50%) would have occurred if the new helmet wearers were included but weren't wearing helmets.
ski holidays
OK maybe this was it
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html?_r=0

"The increase in helmet use has had positive results. Experts say helmets have reduced the numbers of less serious head injuries, like scalp lacerations, by 30 percent to 50 percent, " I read 50% and thought oh wow that must be helpful. Cool
snow report
agw wrote:
You sound as confused as Stewart Lee's nan! Razz

I am Stewart Lee's nan! Razz
snow report
in lieu of comparable research studies, it does seem confused, but most articles hint that helmets are helpful. I don't think wearing a helmet makes people over confident to go faster or take greater risks. People in snow sports usually like to test their limits don't they? after all, isn't that how we improve? and regrettably perhaps break something.
snow report
Can we please avoid another 'helmets are compulsory' 'no they're not' 'yes they are' 'no they're not' etc etc thread

We do it like monthly and it's always the same stuff...

People saying they wear a helmet because they don't want to die or become a vegetable
People saying that anyone wearing a helmet automatically skis dangerously because they feel safer
People saying they get too hot / can't hear / can't see / have a strangely shaped head etc etc

Basically yes it's up to you, no they're not compulsory, you choose whether you want to or not

The funny thing is that whilst people always present plenty of arguments as to why wearing a helmet won't help, nobody ever presents a valid argument about why you're better off by not wearing one.
snow conditions
ozibird wrote:
in lieu of comparable research studies, it does seem confused, but most articles hint that helmets are helpful. I don't think wearing a helmet makes people over confident to go faster or take greater risks. People in snow sports usually like to test their limits don't they? after all, isn't that how we improve? and regrettably perhaps break something.

I don't buy the "risk compensation" hypothesis either.
I think we all realise that a helmet will do little in a really nasty high speed impact (to help in those situations you'd need something like a full-face motorbike helmet) but it might well save your holiday, or season, if you have the sort of accident as described in the OP.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
Can we please avoid another 'helmets are compulsory' 'no they're not' 'yes they are' 'no they're not' etc etc thread

NO
it's panto season...... Oh yes they are Laughing Laughing Laughing
.....and I'm bored Sad
latest report
agw wrote:
ozibird wrote:

I don't buy the "risk compensation" hypothesis either.

As I put in another thread, it always surprises me that some people actually believe this. On the simple basis that I don't think anyone wearing a helmet is under any impression that their helmet will stop them from breaking their legs.
ski holidays
dp wrote:

The funny thing is that whilst people always present plenty of arguments as to why wearing a helmet won't help, nobody ever presents a valid argument about why you're better off by not wearing one.

There's nothing funny about it. Just because something doesn't hurt is no reason to have/do it, unless it's proven useful.

It could be a waste of money if not useful, for one thing.

The counter example is always the same. Why aren't we wearing helmets while out walking? I can see zero down side on that either. And it quite likely to have some marginal benefits. Or for that matter, wear helmet all the time! (wait, we do all wear a build in helmet all the time, it's called skull)

The other day my Mom got hit by the refrigerator door when her colleague opened it too forcefully. Blood started streaming from her nose. Everyone started getting all worried and she was sent to the emergency room next door (she works in a hospital Toofy Grin ). Helmet might have helped. Toofy Grin

I've also once attempted to walked straight through a full floor glass door Embarassed. (they put a poster on the glass a couple days later) The knock on my forehead was pretty painful. A bump stayed for like 10 days. Helmet would have definitely helped there. Toofy Grin

It's up to the individual to decide how many more extra layer of protection he/she wishes to add on top of the one we all already have from birth. Just because I wear a helmet some of the time doesn't means I wear it all the time. (I do mean while skiing).
snow report
Mrs B was extremely glad of her helmet the day she bought it. "someone" pulled the chairlift bar down to soon and smacked her good and proper - oops
ski holidays
ozibird wrote:
Personally, there are enough silly people waving their ski stocks around and inappropriately carrying their skis on their shoulders, to ensure that I put my helmet on around the train station as well as on the slopes.

On the subject, is it time for this?

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I've worn one for the last two seasons and noted that the last couple of times I fell I ended up sliding downhill on my back headfirst. I was relieved on both occasions that I'd worn the lid.
I'd certainly be more likely to wear it than not, especially in Scotland with the proliferation of snow fences , bare patches and poor cover generally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy