Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any bad experiences here?

Poster: A snowHead
dp wrote:
I think, on a serious note, snowHeads, as an organiser of activities, does a good job of filtering out bad people. (As others have pointed out, it also does a good job of filtering in weirdos).

I think the main thing that protects snowheads trips is that it's a kind of long-term commitment. If you (hypothetically - not that I have any experience in it) go on a generic chalet holiday, you can spend the week trying your best to cop off with whatever members of the opposite sex are present, confidently in the knowledge that the chances of bumping into them or anyone else on the trip, in another chalet in another week in the future are pretty slim indeed. But with snowheads, it's the same people meeting in the same place on each of the trips. Therefore, you don't get the anonymity, and any reputation that you might develop in that first week could end up following you. I think it's a very valuable trait, that being a snowhead is for life - not just for a week's ski trip. Before I joined snowheads I did do some chalet holidays, and met far too many people that weren't bothered about burning their bridges with their fellows because you've only got to make it last a week and then you never have to see them again. Some snowheads are skiing together several weeks a year!

I think also that @admin is a very present face at the bashes. He's not some TO hiding in an office in the UK and representing himself with underpaid young chalet slaves to deal with the day to day crap. He's very much there, in sight every night, and will talk to anyone - both socially, but also about any concerns they've got. I think to begin with some people almost find it strange that this illusive 'admin' figure is actually a real person and does actually spend a lot of days on the mountain skiing with the snowheads and drinking with you in the bar. So I'm confident that if anyone was making you feel uncomfortable, you'd be in safe hands to have a word with him and he'd put a politely worded stop to it. He's actually quite a good democrat I think (and wouldn't actually deliberately home anyone next to the septic tank) Madeye-Smiley and fair to say that other snowheads are such a good little community, that even if you didn't talk to admin about it, there's a good chance that somebody else would either grass them up for you or talk to them themselves!

I think on the whole, booking a ski holiday on an internet forum and sending money to an anonymous bloke takes a certain type of person. I think all of us who found this forum of our own accord have had a less than perfect night's sleep the night before, slightly concerned with vague images of turning up at Geneva airport complete with luggage and skis, only to find that you've been the victim of an elaborate internet fraud. So what you get when you turn up to a bash is a bunch of people who were excited enough by the prospect of a snowheads bash, that they sent £500 of their hard earned cash to a random bloke on the internet, in exchange for the promise of some good times. Obviously the prices are good, but I think what stops snowheads being full of early-20s thrillseekers looking for a hedonistic week of dirty pints and skiing backwards is the fact that it's just a bit too much of a real-life community of real people, not an anonymous ski chalet where you can spend £1000 to turn up, eat all you like and behave like an idiot.

So is it full of weirdos? Absolutely yes. But the only real problem with this is that it will make you realise that you're actually a massive weirdo too.
What a lovely post, I hope it made dadmin feel cosy all over. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geepee wrote:
@HossDoc, Knowing you both, you’d get on well. Very Happy
Totally. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jbob, in FTS’s case it was Kramer wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Izzop wrote:
adithorp wrote:
@king key, but can they say the same Shocked

LOL! Laughing

He does sound slightly disappointed.

What happens on a Bash, stays on a Bash! Embarassed

NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wuz just thinking . . . I wonder when we'll have our first wee snotter conceived onna bash . . . ski onna bash. That would be a week to party AND a source of huge embarrassment opportunities for decades Twisted Evil

@king key, not always Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:
admin wrote:
@abc, just to be clear, while I would obviously prefer to be told privately of any problem on a bash, I certainly wouldn't censor any forum comments about them, positive or negative. However I might allocate you the room next to the septic tank.

Fixed for you, no charge Very Happy Very Happy

Standing by to be allocated the room next to the septic tank... Shocked

I'm now worried, as I've only recently pressed a button on "likely" to attend one of the bashes Sad (it would be my 4rd)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ElizabethLizzyLiz,

46 reply's on Christmas day is saying something about brother/ sisterhood of snoHeads...

but , there again, posting OP at 02:13 on Christmas day about the possibility of:

Quote:

any weirdo experiences with anyone on this forum?

does leave me with my own suspicions... sanity, really a question of perspective ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was working all night and now heading to the gym. I'll probably go see what's on at the local cinema this evening. That's life when you're 5000 miles from the people you love.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
king key wrote:
Izzop wrote:
adithorp wrote:
@king key, but can they say the same Shocked

LOL! Laughing

He does sound slightly disappointed.

What happens on a Bash, stays on a Bash! Embarassed

NehNeh

Well untill the video editing's done or the right cards are played anyway. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ElizabethLizzyLiz,
Like you, I wondered what the hell I was committing to when I first went on the EoSB. Then last year I committed my entire family to the EoSB and, like @NickyJ, have committed to the Spring Family Bash. While there's a lot of p*as taking on the site, in real life everyone has turned out to be good company. There are one or two trolls in the message boards, but I haven't encountered such tedious behaviour in person.

Rather the opposite. There's nothing quite like finding yourself sharing a lift with a few peeps, seeing that they are wearing SH neck tubes and then getting into such an involved conversation that you almost don't get off the lift in time! Epic fail, as my kids would say.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Been the sufferer of an Admin room allocation joke. (2 big fat blokes in a broom cupboard sharing a set of bunks)
Ahem... while I would dearly love to take credit for one of the funniest room allocations in snowHeads' history, I was 'not guilty m'lud'.

I had no idea that one of the rooms in your apartment was a cupboard with bunks in it. Being as you prioritised the bar over finding your room and being the last 2 to leave said bar, your apartment-mates had bagged the biggest rooms and that's what you 2 were left with.

I may be guilty of many a [I would like to think 'classic'] room allocation but on this occasion it was purely comedy-fate at play.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@admin, it was actually our flatmates I felt sorry for, having to share with Me, Charlatanefc and "Lord" Whitenoise.
I don't think any permanent mental injury resulted, which was a bonus.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin wrote:

I may be guilty of many a [I would like to think 'classic'] room allocation but on this occasion it was purely comedy-fate at play.

...isn’t that how you got the unofficial moniker of ‘Dadmin’...?*

* rhetorical leading question.

P.S. It wasn’t my fault.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was indeed welcomed onto my first snowHead bash by way of inclusion into the 'Dave Apartment'. 5 beds - 4 Daves.

It had a sauna though so thanks @admin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually, as U know @Sharkymark, 'dadmin' didn't come into being for a few more years.
There were these 2 girls y'see... each had asked to be roomed with a girl of a similar age. This was a little odd for 2 reasons: fistly nobody had ever asked that before and secondly they were both the same age. So on the back of this simple scenario and the obvious logic it suggested, the biggest rooming catastrophe began Confused
One evening I was chilling chatting in one of the lounges and there was a sudden comotion upstairs: clatter clatter thud "no don't say anything... just leave it".
Then, "You NEED to move one of us. I can't share a room with her anymore!"
Well l'Oxalys was particularly full that year and we had no spare space so began the process of arbitration... 2 or 3hrs later they were too tired to care anymore and went to sleep. I returned to civilisation to find I'd been re-named 'Dadmin' rolling eyes
Fortunately each of them pulled* subsequently and the rooming crisis was resolved.

*I guess desperate times lead to desperate choices eh @Sharkymark ? Wink
ski holidays
@admin, my wingman and I saved you. A truly selfless act 😗
latest report
Such community spirit is what makes snowHeads as special as it is @Sharkymark xx
snow report
@admin, to be fair I thought you showed the most excellent wingman'ing prowess at the Portovescovo bar last year. Telling my sorry tale to the two nice ladies at the bar to make me sound like some kind of gnar hero, when you could have just as easily made me sound like the kind of prized tw@t I was feeling like Very Happy

Did you get them from FTS?
snow report
Quote:
Fortunately each of them pulled* subsequently and the rooming crisis was resolved.

rolling eyes so much fer @dp's adulation of good behaviour onna bash . . .
snow report
Do you think that the OP has been frightened off by this conversation, she's gone awfully quiet......... Laughing
ski holidays
On my first Bash, EoSB 2010, I was put into an apartment with no less than three punmeisters/verbal pedants. Was that coincidental or just innate brilliance,' admin?
ski holidays
sj1608 wrote:
Do you think that the OP has been frightened off by this conversation, she's gone awfully quiet......... Laughing

Maybe her name is Sarah?............
snow report
Or Dave Laughing
snow report
@Masque, I was thinking that. Us all towing the party line saying 'nope, no creeps here - single women can feel safe and welcome' then @admin himself wades in and tells the story of two ladies moving into male bedrooms. Shocked
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I remember it well. Laughing
latest report
A couple of good threads in the snowEvents section that cut through (most of!) the banter...this for example. First hand experiences of what the community is all about:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47357
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Quote:

rolling eyes so much fer @dp's adulation of good behaviour onna bash . . .
dp wrote:
@Masque, I was thinking that. Us all towing the party line saying 'nope, no creeps here - single women can feel safe and welcome' then @admin himself wades in and tells the story of two ladies moving into male bedrooms. Shocked
Nobody was harassed, abused or stalked in the making of this story and all 4 parties involved were entirely happy how things worked out. I've met every one of them again on snowHeads events.

We are a bunch of grown-ups (mostly) on holiday together in an environment that is intentionally designed to make it easier to meet others with similar interests in, for example, skiing, drinking, lunching. It's not so surprising that every now and again the 'right' 2 meet. It doesn't turn into something permanent every time but nevertheless we've probably averaged about 1 wedding per year since snowHeads began. I think that's a good thing.

Maybe there's hope for you yet, Masque, dp Toofy Grin
snow report
admin wrote:
Maybe there's hope for you yet, Masque Toofy Grin
We have met, remember rolling eyes There wuz me thinking you knew the difference between optimism and delusion Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
There wuz me thinking you knew the difference between optimism and delusion Sad

I think that the difference is that in my case it's optimism and in yours it's delusion? Toofy Grin
latest report
@dp, I'll have you know I'm quite a happy old misanthrope
ski holidays
dp wrote:
Masque wrote:
There wuz me thinking you knew the difference between optimism and delusion Sad

I think that the difference is that in my case it's optimism and in yours it's delusion? Toofy Grin

If you were hoping it was the difference that would suggest you are an optimistic sort. But as you thinking it is, that rather suggests delusion Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ouch!

@Tubaski, Laughing
latest report
Thanks for all the reassuring & funny replies. I'd probably feel safer at a bash as it's a big group. I was thinking more along the lines of meeting someone who offers to drive you to a resort or share a room with, as a woman going on a trip with a strange man can be a bit daunting. I actually like weird eccentric people & am a bit strange myself...as in creative like, I like my rock n roll. I have been in mixed dorms too. Anyway I've got the regional pass for west Switzerland, & will be doing some day trips to Champery this week. Anyone there? How's the snow? Its been pissing it down in Lausanne.
snow report
To be fair, the ski-buddy forum on here is a bit less vetted. There's no way of admin or anyone else controlling who posts on there, so to be fair, you can only use your own intuition. But certainly letting a bloke you've never met before drive you across Europe and book you a double room together might be quite low on the recommendations list.

Maybe you should stop chasing scary men in West Switzerland and come on a bash with some weird eccentric people who are a bit strange (to paraphrase). Admin's just recently called last orders for a week in the Dolomites in a month's time! (PreBB).
snow report
It's not all down to intuition...

Firstly, as people use snowHeads more and their post-count goes up and you can often get a very good idea of them from their history.
Click the '+' next to the username on a post and then click the username in the pop-up box. There, you will find a link eg. "Find all posts by ElizabethLizzyLiz"

OK, someone who has only a few posts, all looking for someone to ski with, is not necessarily dodgy, indeed, IME almost certainly they are not going to be, but you can exercise your own degree of caution dependent upon what you do/don't find in their history.

I found, back in the Bs* days, travelling with one person was a little chancy - not because they were dodgy or anything but because when it's just the 2 of U, the dependence on each other (even if only perceived dependence) slightly increases the pressure to 'get on' and as a result somehow makes it harder to Confused

The plan with the snowHeads bashes was to create groups in which one always (within reason) has the option to ski with someone else but similarly, the space to disappear off and take some 'me time' for those who like that.

*Before snowHeads

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 27-12-17 16:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Rock n roll Shocked. . . Oh dear lord the woman's far too 'street' fer us, we couldn't cope with THAT! bet she wears leather too . . . and smells . . . quite nice . . . and . . . . Oh gawd me . . heart . . buuuggggerrrrr
latest report
@admin, so far i have resisted on commenting on the comedy room allocations IME.. but i ended up with one of my now bestest friends.
snow report
@Masque, "The woman" really? Would you prefer if I said classical music? I don't wear leather, I'm a vegetarian.
ski holidays
@dp, That's what I was thinking, I'll probably just ski solo on this trip, it's been a while & I'm rusty. Wouldn't want to hold anyone up.
snow report
ElizabethLizzyLiz wrote:
@dp, That's what I was thinking, I'll probably just ski solo on this trip, it's been a while & I'm rusty. Wouldn't want to hold anyone up.

You'd have to ski backwards to hold me up. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy