Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Skiing Powder

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, true, but estimates of 1-1.5m of new snow falling across Swiss/French/Italian border area over next 5 days. Heavy weather, and people take to the treeline.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@davidof, true, but estimates of 1-1.5m of new snow falling across Swiss/French/Italian border area over next 5 days. Heavy weather, and people take to the treeline.

Unfortunately, around here, with the zero iso at 2600m, the main risk below the tree line is being drowned or hit by a tree.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe armbands then?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Maybe armbands then?

or a inflated inner tube - could help with trees. Or a Zorb?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first attempt at embedding a video... my 7 and 10 yr old in the powder earlier this week.

http://youtube.com/v/9sW5TQ83C2w
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, they look fantastic. How often do they ski?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucky kids! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, thanks. 4 or 5 weeks a year, plus dry slope race training. This was their first year of real powder and I was very pleased with how they coped.

They are both on stiff and skinny race skis as well which doesn't seem to hold them back.

@Flinnster, yes, in the lift on the way up (we were amongst the first onto the mountain) I told them that this was the closest they were going to get to heliskiing for a few years. Since it was New Year's Day, the mountain was empty and even at midday we were finding completely clean lines.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, nice! Where's that?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Argentiere - for those that know it, the first and third clips are on the triangle and the second is skiers right of Bochard. I've plenty more, but figured I'd keep it short enough to demonstrate that neither weight nor age should be an impediment to skiing powder!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, great skiers!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Themasterpiece, @davidof, thanks.

I'll post a clip of me so you can see how deep it was (50-60cm) - it's a bit deceptive with the kids because they are so light (24 and 32kg respectively) that they get a lot of float so it looks like shallow powder, but if they aren't fast enough to float then it's _really_ hard for them.

What I did discover is that they get tired much faster than normal off piste. In turn that means they are less inclined to go for it once tired, which means slower thus less float,thus harder still, and a rapid transition from "we love this" to, sometime around midday "can we go home now?"!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, lovely to see the kids skiing that, and interesting comments about making sure the conditions are right for them to ski well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, Thanks. Yes, they have to be prepared to ski fast, with a lot of feel for the skis - in that context I think race training helps a lot.

By 11.30 (2hrs of skiing, probably 2-3000m vertical) my 7 yr old was exhausted, my 10 yr old stuck out another 45 mins/1600m vertical with me which was well worth it. Possibly a 2hr lunch would have restored them, but we had a plane to catch!
snow report
Me vs jnr:

http://youtube.com/v/3oBa08hlTfM
ski holidays
@snowdave, The boys are doing really well but you can really see the difference in weight playing through in that last clip. Despite the fact that he is on slalom skis he is getting away with skiing one one ski at times - it still floats! You can also see why it's tiring - little bit of leaning back getting the tips out.

Great stuff

My two also started skiing powder on race skis (although they have never raced - we just got a good deal on some second hand). Probably more like 9 and 11 than 7 and 10 though!
snow report
@jedster, boy and girl! Yes, if they lean forwards it goes wrong very fast, sadly not caught on camera apart from my own.

In my defence I'm on 165 cheater GS skis, so not ideal for the conditions either.
snow conditions
@snowdave, Ooof, you can tell they’re racers - great to see them
rip it up snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy