Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldering iron for base repair

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Kunzmann Base Doc II but understand you can’t fly with them due to being gas operated

I would like to take something with me so I can do a base repair if required, can a soldering iron be used?, if so is there a specific wattage required that keeps it within a certain temperature range
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure that a soldering iron would keep a constant enough temperature? I have one of these https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/base-tools/repair/skimender-rp105-base-repair-pistol-uk-plug-detail.html] that works pretty well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought a soldering iron might have been an issue due to a higher temperature band, are there lower wattage versions or would a wood burning/engraving tool work?

Having purchased the base doc I’m reluctant to spend on a skimender although I understand they are good
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe I am being thick but don't you just need a lighter to light the ptex?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fish_Head wrote:
I have a Kunzmann Base Doc II but understand you can’t fly with them due to being gas operated

and also extremely rude

Fish_Head wrote:

I would like to take something with me so I can do a base repair if required, can a soldering iron be used?, if so is there a specific wattage required that keeps it within a certain temperature range

25-40 watt will work, not as good a a Kuntzmann though. Don't expect miracles. They run somewhere in the 400 to 500 C range to melt solder but a 25 watt iron doesn't have a huge amount of oumph so won't wreck your skis, you can melt the base around the hole too, which should help the p-tex bind. Although base material seems to have a higher melting point.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
Maybe I am being thick but don't you just need a lighter to light the ptex?

Ptex candles can be used with a lighter but the repair is not as good as using a skimender or a base doc with ptex strips as they give more of a weld, I understand the strips are a different ptex to the candles
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
Fish_Head wrote:

and also extremely rude

Fish_Head wrote:

25-40 watt will work, not as good a a Kuntzmann though. Don't expect miracles. They run somewhere in the 400 to 500 C range to melt solder but a 25 watt iron doesn't have a huge amount of oumph so won't wreck your skis, you can melt the base around the hole too, which should help the p-tex bind. Although base material seems to have a higher melting point.

I thought I have read somewhere that a soldering iron runs a bit too hot for a ptex ski base that melts at 190, is it better to get a 25 or 40 watt?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to correct myself, my iron is a Weller 60 watt, yes they do run hot but the ptex flame (if you burn the candles) must be at a similar temperature. I don't think a 25 watt will be powerful enough for the job. Embarassed
I would say using a soldering iron is no better than burning the candles, if that helps your decision, just a bit less messy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For £45 the Skimender is a cracking bit of kit, similar to what I used as a ski tech back in the day. I've got 2 of them, clear and black Ptex so don't have to swap/clean between colours...... Simple to use and fantastic results, never had a repair pull out in 3years Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should have said ptex base melts at 150 degrees according to what I have read, soldering iron running at 400-500 degrees sounds too hot

Ptex candles that you light are softer than the strips that you “weld” in to the base, tognar do a soldering iron type tool but as far as I’m aware it’s only sold in the USA and wonder what temps it will work at when plugged in to a UK/euro socket

I’ll probably just take some candles in case I get a gouge Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX wrote:
For £45 the Skimender is a cracking bit of kit, similar to what I used as a ski tech back in the day. I've got 2 of them, clear and black Ptex so don't have to swap/clean between colours...... Simple to use and fantastic results, never had a repair pull out in 3years Very Happy

I’ve heard its good, bit too much of an overlap with the base doc, unless I sell it and replace with a skimender
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fish_Head, that'd work, then you've got a tool you can fly with! Unless you can see if you can buy the gas in resort? Risky though...... The basedoc would sell on here no probs Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fish_Head wrote:
Ptex candles that you light are softer than the strips that you “weld” in to the base

Ah, right. Have to say I haven't had a candle repair come out as yet. Didn't know there was an alternative mind.
Fish_Head wrote:
I’ll probably just take some candles in case I get a gouge Very Happy

I've never bothered with repairs on a trip. Which isn't necessarily ideal but taking the kit would yet be another thing to take and the opportunity and facilities would probably mean I wouldn't do it anyway!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fish_Head, How long are you away for? TBH, I never bother taking my skimender on trips as they're always <10 days. The sort of repairs that use the skimender for, I would live with a quick ptext candle repair and accept that I'll need to redo the repair at home.

To get a good finish with the skimender, you need the gun, the sticks, surform tool, scraper and then all the service kits and to be honest, I can't be arsed to do that on holiday. If the damage was so bad that I needed a permanent base repair I'd be on here asking for an in resort recommendation and let the shop handle it... life and holiday time is too short IMO.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I use a base pistol for serious repairs I firstly dimple the inside of the gauge with a dedicated soldering iron and heat it up a little. It does seem to really bond the wide dished repairs.
latest report
Why cant you empty the kunzmann and put it in hold luggage then buy a gas canister on arrival ?
Do the kunzmann take special fill canisters that are not found easily?
ski holidays
Metal grip will work at different temps so needs to be considered.
snow report
I ask as with a larger quiver on long trips If I buy a Kunzmann then I need gas supplies anyway ?

Something I noted with my current repairer in resort is wax wont take to repaired areas ?

My preseason powder boards have around 2 dozen base repairs so its quite abit of surface area with no wax .
It doesnt matter but for tech reasons I wondered if I could do better with correct temp kunzmann and ptex strip/metalgrip product use ?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-12-17 20:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wax takes fine to repaired ptex, ptex doesn't take fine to wax so needs degreasing first either with the proper lemon wax remover or a bit of judiciously applied acetone, don't overdo it though as acetone dries the base out........
ski holidays
Tirol 164 wrote:
Why cant you empty the kunzmann and put it in hold luggage then buy a gas canister on arrival ?
Do the kunzmann take special fill canisters that are not found easily?

Was advised you can’t take something on a plane that can takes gas even if empty - not looked into this further just what I was told
ski holidays
@KenX, I agree it would probably sell easily, I like it as it’s possible to make a narrow repair, narrower I understand than a ski mender and as the repairs dont take wax like the actual ptex base then that’s a positive over time

@RichClark, fair point about the hassle fixing a gouge while away for a week, although I do enjoy fiddling with repairs etc, trying to find somewhere appropriate while in a hotel could be interesting

@Layne, that’s interesting about the longevity of your repairs, I’ll take a few ptex candles and hope I don’t get a core shot

I know I can drop it into a ski shop if I got a bad gouge but after spending a chunk on tuning gear I like to do as much repair work as I can

Thanks for all your input Very Happy
snow report
I'm a bit late to this post but might suggest a cheap ebay USB soldering iron. It's compact, no bulky plug (just a usb cable you can plug into a power bank or the usb adaptor you're no doubt taking along anyways), only £5, and while it's about as low power as a soldering iron gets, it'll melt a pool of p-tex into a base hole. I bought it to use on metal grip, in case i got a core shot in my new board on the PSB. I didn't get a chance to test it on metal grip (past simply making sure it melts it), but it repaired a couple nice gouges next to my edge which have held. Only drawback is it only has a pointy tip, where I'd imagine a wide spade tip would be convenient for spreading molten ptex about..

So cheap I'd happily recommend it to anyone wanting something more than just ptex candle repairs whilst away.
snow report
@jjams82, thanks for that, sounds like it will do the job, will look for one on my return
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy