Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets are a must.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@dp, interesting comment. Have the basics changed much? Ski helmets I've seen (including mine) use EPS, maybe 12mm thick for energy absorption, with a very thin ABS shell to hold the EPS place.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
@dp, interesting comment. Have the basics changed much? Ski helmets I've seen (including mine) use EPS, maybe 12mm thick for energy absorption, with a very thin ABS shell to hold the EPS place.

https://www.littleskiers.co.uk/blog/ski-helmet-buying-guide.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, hmm. Looking at your link:
Quote:
The shell is the main part of the ski helmet that is designed to protect you. The shell is designed to absorb both impact and sharp, blunt forces caused by collisions or falls where you hit your head on ice or protruding rocks.

Bearing in mind the minute thickness of shells I have seen, I wouldn't bank on much protection. However, Mechanics of Sport takes a different view:

Quote:
The shell and core of a helmet are the parts of the helmet who's primary function is to protect you. The shell is generally made from polycarbonate plastic, and the core from expanded polystyrene, although shells can also be made from fibre glass and carbon fibre. Both the polycarbonate and polystyrene plastics are light weight and good at absorbing impacts, making ski helmets light and comfortable to wear.

The shell helps spread out the force of an impact and protects you from sharper objects, as well as protecting the core from day to day abrasions and scratches. The core is the part of the helmet that absorbs the energy of an impact, which it does through compression or destruction.

Googling around (I admit quickly) I have seen little to suggest modern design has caused more protection with lighter weight. Carbon fire may have an effect, though its strength can be affected by knocks not necessarily noticed by the owner (for example in storage or transit).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don’t think the standard(s) for helmet testing have changed - still a drop test and measure of the deacceleration. The new innovation is MIPS which provides protection against rotational forces. My helmet doesn’t have MIPS, and I’m not convinced it’s enough to buy a new lid. But if I were buying a new one I’d get it with MIPS.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevepick wrote:
... Coincidence? Who knows. ...

Most of us, I hope wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@achilles, as @Old Fartbag provided that link I shouldn't have to say much.

MIPS is a bit of a new technology that can provide a lot of energy absorption in the event of an impact.

But I mean look at cars for a second. People used to think that if you were in a car crash, you'd be better off in a Land Rover because it had a big steel chassis that would just demolish the tin can it crashed into. Then people started testing this stuff more thoroughly, and discovered that the tin can hairdresser's car would actually buckle up and absorb all the energy, where the rigid Land Rover would not and thus those crash forces would not be absorbed, they'd be transmitted into the driver with maximum efficiency. Meaning that yes - the Land Rover would come off better, but not the driver.

The same has been realised with skiing helmets. One thing that isn't often realised is that openings in the material are not just vents for ventilation sake. A lot of modern safety helmets for cycling and skiing have a lot more openings, which still give the helmet the same ability to protect the head from blunt force trauma but give the helmet more places to deform and break. This is really important in absorbing and dissipating the fall forces.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is of course a very straightforward testing procedure for helmet protection. One does not need namby pamby health n safety eu/ce/fia regulations and poncey drop tests.
1) Stand precisely 15 steps away from a solid brick wall.
2) Wear a blindfold and tilt your head forward until your chins touch your chest.
3) Then sprint towards the brick wall and ensure an even impact across the front of your skull.
4) Note down any pain, damage to your head and wall, if any.
5) Repeat, facing backwards with rear tilt, to test rear skull impact.
6) Note down any pain, damage to your head and wall, if any.
7) Now repeat steps 1 to 6 with a helmet on.
8 ) Note down any differences in pain, damage to your head and wall.

Don’t forget to share your findings with us on here. A video would be very useful. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or to make the test more realistic to on piste skiing, replace aforementioned brick wall with the Mrs and/or boarder!
Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
Griggs wrote:
.. I really found the latest helmets more comfortable, better ventilated and generally much lighter. ....

And so probably less effective? I know they meet the CE tests ... but so did Volkswagen diesels.

Speaking of which....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

Interesting how the pollution industry works.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy