Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US Ski Areas Drought

Poster: A snowHead
i would wait on airfare. Mid-march is almost low season. Easter is not that big of a ski holiday out west. google flights is your friend. Just go where the snow is. If ur in NY. DC or BOS, there should be tons of places that are one flight connection at worst. It will nuke at some point. usually when the crowds are gone, or when I am flying out from a snow poor week. If I go someplace, ill tell you and you go the following week. almost guaranteed powder.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
drewclarke wrote:
Canyons was tough going today, lot of rocks showing on blues, last day so back to Arizona tonight.

I did warn you wink Not the best start to their season, just hoping it improves massively.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's extremely rare that North America will have a bad season the entire season, everywhere. Right now, if you avoid summit county (Utah and Colorado) you should be fine, but they should get some snow soon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Powder Mtn. Utah needs a weed eater in a couple of places but not quite as bad as anticipated. There's been a lot of pisting so skis will be more fun than another outing with the board. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Sounds better than I thought, but no real fun it its just groomers.
Heard they only opened Hidden Lake and Timberline the other day Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd wait, they're all hurting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Baker is reporting 94" in the meadows and 115" at the dome, which sounds ok... Mammoth has 20" at the lodge and 60" at the summit which is less good, but then Mammoth always gets its snow in sizable lumps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones wrote:
Masque, Sounds better than I thought, but no real fun it its just groomers.
Heard they only opened Hidden Lake and Timberline the other day Sad

Yup, but anything worth hitting is tracked out already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In terms of our two week Colorado trip, starting on 28 Jan:

I'm not panicking yet but have seen a website that suggests that this warm & dry pattern for Colorado could continue until March...

We're easily pleased in terms of skiing - half decent snow is better than no snow - but I'm a bit loathe to pay Aspen prices to ski poor snow.

We have no car hire booked yet and all our accommodation is cancellable - so I could look at more snowy alternatives...

In that case, how much further north does the good snow begin?? Is anywhere driveable from Colorado? Or would we need to fly to BC or wherever?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hd wrote:
Revelstoke is amazing...fast uplift, huuuuge vertical, amazing views from the top, loads of snow and fab off piste both above and below the treeline. Very remote which is great once you're there. I would love to go back.

I went to Revelstoke for a week. It rained top to bottom the weeks before I went (end of Jan) and then froze into a giant ice Toblerone chunk. There was not loads of snow. Not much fun as a snowboarder. If there was loads of snow the runs off the back of the main ridge would have been great, and some of the lower stuff through the trees looked epic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, Heavenly is looking thin with 18" base. Good chances of accumulation over the next 10 days though.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, uggh. its such a crap shoot. been in that situation many times, although it has been more when i go into the alps. Once you make the change, weather patterns are destined to change. I was on the fence about going to slc this year during school vaca week, mainly because of ridiculous airfares to slc that week. Ultimately decided to try the alps again. Flying to Lyon was $500 cheaper p/p than SLC, explain that.

Are you already locked in with airfare? I think Jackson Hole seems like a safe bet if you can get there without alot of additional cost. Otherwise its an 8 hour drive. If you are tied to airfares. I will attach a map with various fares from denver at the end of january. Total pita, but if you are willing to get another flight, maybe think about bozeman or the PNW. Good luck. I hate these types of situations with valuable and highly anticipated vacation time.

Just realized I dont know how to post an image. but from Denver, bozeman is about $300 RT, Seattle about $70 rt, reno aboout $150 rt, and jackson about $600 RT. took sample dates around Jan 29-feb 6th.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm watching the forecast for Crested Butte like a hawk....4-8" given for Sat and maybe 18" for the week we are there (but that's a little far off to be reliable). No big storms forecast though. ATM. Looks like the skiing will be reasonably good, rather than fantastic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Redwine, agree with you on where to go. If you stay North you should avoid the rain some places are receiving, if you're willing to do a connecting flight from Denver you can go to Kelowna ($289) or Calgary ($242 connecting or $600 direct). Both have great options, though you might be annoyed by the drives from each to the ski areas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Redwine, out of those options and those prices, I would lean to Bozeman for Mountainaddict. Big Sky is a big area with good conditions now, about an hour away, Bozeman itself is a fun town, there is a good locals' place a few minutes outside of town that's fun for a day or 2 and uncrowded unless it's a weekend or huge powder day. Go up there for a week and spend most of your time at Big Sky but a night and day or 2 in Bozeman proper.

But Mountainaddict, are you flying in and out of Denver or in and out of Aspen?
snow report
^^^^That's the thing mr. mike, and Redwine - we're flying in and out of neither - our destination is Grand Junction. By the time we booked, Aspen flights were virtually non-existent and we stumbled on the fact that Gd Junction is 2.5hrs from Aspen, vs 5hrs from Denver. And a great price on the flights too.

So we are already 'half way up the road' to Jackson Hole or Big Sky! Been to neither - so would be happy to sacrifice a day's drive at each end of the trip for the sake of good snow...

All our hotels are cancellable (though I think our 6 nts in Aspen is only cancellable up to a week or so before - ie around 21/22 Jan) and we haven't booked a car yet - so we do have a fair degree of flexibility. Our only loss would be the bargain book of 4 day-tickets that we have bought for Loveland - as part of our planned road trip. That was $160 in total as we bought the tickets early. Could live with that as (eg) Bozeman rooms can be had for about £50 a night vs the £120 we'll pay if we stick with our 6 nts in Aspen...

Still time for it to snow - so not yet a desperate need to decide whether we stick or twist.... Confused

In the meantime...let the snow dances continue!!
latest report
@mountainaddict, Looks like you're a couple hours closer to Jackson. While I personally prefer big sky, you'll have a great time at either place you choose.
snow report
Good stuff. Both JH and big sky are some of the best in the states. Would not hesitate in recommending either of them, especially if the patterns continue to hit their direction.

I would book a refundable 4x4 car. Essential no matter where u go and usually cheaper than what similar cars go for in Europe. If colorado gets the goods you need it to get around aspen (aspen mtn is actually my least favorite of the big 3 there). And if u need a to road trip to mt or wy, boom, all taken care of. Teton pass is a bear btw, if it is storming.

Last thing, if in Jackson, consider targee for a day. If in big sky, consider Bridger for a day.
snow report
Thanks Keetna and Redwine

I've now come round to thinking that there are worse problems to have - a case of **watch the skies then choices...choices!! wink

(** For snow and hopefully not in relation to Donald's latest Twitter outburst... rolling eyes)
snow report
@mountainaddict, I posted a couple of photos from Breckenridge on your "Colorado snow?" thread. We got lucky for a few runs for three days, but those were not typical conditions. And Aspen has less snow, I think. The wind blew away a lot of it.

If I was in your place, I'd keep everything cancellable until the last moment and if snow does not arrive in Colorado, drive to Jackson Hole. 8h ain't that bad for a one-off drive. (I presume you haven't bought Aspen lift passes yet?). I think Big Sky is further so a flight might be better...but if you have to drive from Grand Junction to Denver for a flight that's another long drive...

Or just forget about the skiing and visit Utah national parks. We did half a day at the Arches and it was amazing.

(I had a good time skiing mostly pistes with my son and my girlfriend, and for a couple of days with Dave of the Marmottes, but if it had been up to me only, I'd have cancelled and stayed in Europe, or done a photo trip to the national parks. We already had Epic passes, though, so it would have been tough to add to the cost a JH pass).
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:

I've now come round to thinking that there are worse problems to have - a case of **watch the skies then choices...choices!! wink

(** For snow and hopefully not in relation to Donald's latest Twitter outburst... rolling eyes)

On 31 Dec there were a couple of fighter jets flying above Breckenridge.

kolkie's first thought was "Has Trump declared war on North Korea?" Shocked Laughing
snow report
@mountainaddict, I'll third what those guys say above if you are flying into Grand Junction. In this circumstance, GJ is <Denver> Aspen because it's harder to fly or drive from.

Given the additional drive time to Bozeman, I would do Jackson. And absolutely do Targhee if you end up on Wyoming. Maybe even 2 days.
latest report
mountainaddict, Some good choices to be made, supposed to be some storms next week so its not over yet Confused

Its a good ideas to go to JH and Big Sky, both good, and Big Sky will be quieter. Targhee should be on your list if staying around Jackson for a while, great little place, often empty and holds the snow quality better than JH, as it faces north rather than south. You can do the drive to Big Sky from Jackson in around 3-3.5 hrs dependant on conditions.

Going to be up that way later in the year so hopefully things will be good - JH still need more snow though according to a good source Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks all! Smile

Update: Now checked on all our bookings. All hotels are cancellable until a day or two before we stay - except our first one, which is the Snowmass hotel and is (of course) the longest (and most expensive) stay!!

It is, at least cancellable, but only up until 14th January - ie two weeks before our arrival... rolling eyes

Given that (conditions permitting) we are aiming for a long Scotland ski weekend from 12th Jan, and could well be away until the 15th, the clock is now ticking and we need to make a final decision in the next seven days....

Given the forecast is still for minimal new snow in the next week; the summit webcams at Aspen show a lot of alarming, spring-like brownness; and we could be paying £90+ a day at Aspen (and that's the discount, six day, bought in advance price... Shocked) to ski who knows what conditions, I am minded to pull the plug on Colorado unless a huge storm appears on the horizon (or snow radar!) very soon .

We could easily live with (say) a 2.5hr drive on our arrival evening, before continuing the next morning to Jackson Hole. Depending on conditions nearer the time, we could then use JH as a stopover en route to and from Big Sky - or just stick with JH and Grand Targhee, plus a snowmobile trip to Yellowstone, which does sound particularly appealing.
latest report
@mountainaddict, I would wait until the last day and have as much information as possible. It takes alot of snow on some of those slopes (not the groomers) so I think you need a series of foot plus storms to get things up to par. I think alot of ppl are rethinking/delaying their trips, so there may well be lodging or air bnbs in aspen if you cancel, but conditions improve alot, and you subsequently change your mind.

Its a long drive, but JH is a place you should definitely go anyway. I really also like big sky, even though i had poor conditions there, the terrain is fabulous. if u go to old faithful, do it via snowmobile, not a snow coach. Made the mistake of doing it via a van on snow tracks.

Have fun, sounds like you have lots of options!
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, snowmobile through Yellowstone is fantastic. Must do if you are in that area. Big Sky is great with snow. Most empty resort I have ever visited. About 3 days in I took a photo of my wife in our longest lift line. Had to wait 5 chairs.

Dead as a doornail in the evenings though.

Rock Springs WY might be a good stop for you on the way up. I've only been in the summer and I'm sure winter is quiet, but it's a decent place. Should be able to get a serviceable meal and hotel at a cheap price.
snow conditions
I'm in Stowe next weekend thanks to a work trip to Boston. Reports seem to say conditions are great, anyone been recently?
latest report
@JimSearle, heard things are good in the northern kingdom. Vermont didn't get that much this last storm that dumped 14" in my front yard, but it's been so darn cold that all the snow up till now is still snow. Next week should get warmer, but still seasonable, so I expect it will ski well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A further twist in the tail....After the snow that is forecast on 6-8 January, now looks like Colorado could be rather more snowy fairly soon afterwards.... (According to On the Snow website).

AAAGH! Why couldn't it just stay dry & make our cancellation choice straightforward??
snow report
Joel Gratz at Open Snow is the true Colorado forecast. Cancel your accomodation, book a rental car and stay flexible. You can always find accomodation downvalley in Basalt, Carbondale or Glenwood right on the bus route if you do decide on Aspen.
snow report
yes, Joel tells it like it is. opensnow.com.

Agree with your advice. That time of the year, with this start to the season, never mind downvalley, the OP can likely rebook the room he cancels a couple of days before the trip if the conditions improve.
snow report
Been Skiing Utah for 15 years. Just back from a 3 week trip and we have to admit from a snow perspective our worst.

Skiied alta , snowbird , snowbasin,solitude and gave deer valley a return visit after years away ($145 lift ticket)

We had nice pow on christmas day at solitude but its been very restrictive.
I would have to admit deer valley had the best range of groomed runs as they make most snow
Snowbasin is usually a fave but it was bad and very busy .

Snowbird was a disaster and alta though all lifts open was limited .

The only consolation was visiting The Sportloft in SLC who are quite simply the best boot fitters on the planet (at a cost !!)

All in all with the week pound the high lift pass prices (we remember them at half what they are now in $$)

Still love the area .... spending time in vegas on the way in but ouch the cost stung this year
And was made worse by the conditions

Locally they dont see anything significant in the short term and admit they will not even hit average snowfall this year
snow conditions
Crested Butte have just had 11" overnight. snowHead

It's a start.
snow report
OK time I fessed up - having had a trip across the US west which ended up being a lot more road trip and national parks/sightseeing etc (amazing how much of an event a Burger King or a gas station can be when you spend a day driving across Nevada) than skiing I think I have a reasonable take on conditions up to Saturday - I skied Tahoe, Park (Sh)ity and Breck/Beav. All were fairly similar - groomer enhanced by man made and take your chances with stumps and rocks if you ventured off piste. Even groomers were getting a fair number of unavoidable "floaters" as stones and gravel were churned up in the grooming process. Breck was by far the best snow feel - chalky and more natural and even some decent advanced terrain open. But then altitude helps and they did get the benefit of the Xmas storm horizon and family were lucky enough to enjoy.

I'd say almost everywhere would need 3-4 ft of fresh = 1ft when compacted to get a decent amount further terrain open and quite a lot more to reach "good" conditions.

On the flipside you can ski, locals are by and large staying home or knocking off early as it's not up to their expectations and temps are warm and sunny.
ski holidays
Quote:
Agree with your advice. That time of the year, with this start to the season, never mind downvalley, the OP can likely rebook the room he cancels a couple of days before the trip if the conditions improve
Our Snowmass accommodation will cost us £780 if we don't cancel and end up staying there - but is currently at £1100 (on Hotels.com, where we have booked) if we were to cancel & re-book. Everything else is coming up at even more eye watering prices...

IF we do end up skiing Aspen, we do want to stay in or around the ski areas - as opposed to driving in from down the valley. We've done loads of road trips in the past but Aspen's been on our bucket list for so long that we really do want to stay there.

At least medium to longer term forecasts are at least now looking a bit more promising in terms of possible snow...
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, my guess are that piste will be fine. Snowmass has tons of pistes and tons of snowmaking so if you are happy with that as an outcome, check it off your bucket list.

Sound like you have a 2nd week to explore if you want. I would say do your self a favor and look at some of the ski on/off options at JH or big sky also and see if that buys you options
Aspen is a pretty special place, so if you want the other aspects of the town (which is a decent 20 minute drive from snowmass), it will Be hard to find other ski towns that have that feel.
latest report
http://www.mtexpress.com/news/business/holiday-business-stays-strong-despite-lack-of-snow/article_d852d9fc-f182-11e7-9c40-63d2b80bd108.html
ski holidays
What's Killington like at the moment lads???

Anyone been there recently??
snow report
@stanton, Excellent, headed to sun valley on thursday. I will be sure to visit the busy supermarket. First turns of the year, so I guess i take groomers vs no skiing.

@dazman, Heard Killington is good. but nothing is free, as I also heard they closed this past weekend because it was TOO COLD!!!. of course rain is coming this weekend, so get there there before it turns into a skating rink.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Maybe contact hotel directly and ask if they will "relax" their 2-week cancellation policy due to conditions? I have to think business is weak in the area right now. They might do that vs. run the risk of losing the business entirely.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy