Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delta angle thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

@jedster, Delta is the "external" angle from the boot sole to the base of the skis and usually talked about in mm of heel lift not angle. It doesn't account for internal ramp angle that may be built into the base board aka Zeppa nor added through insoles or heel lifts.

The total typical internal ramp angle is around 2.5% and helps us get onto the balls of the feet. Your running shoes will have a ramp angle.

Aha - makes sense. ALthough it does show why the optimal heel lift changes when you go between alpine and touring boots

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-12-17 17:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndAnotherThing.., I've got Dynafit Speed Turns on my touring skis and fitted the toe shims from Radicals to get the ramp angle where I want it, huge difference Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KenX wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., I've got Dynafit Speed Turns on my touring skis and fitted the toe shims from Radicals to get the ramp angle where I want it, huge difference Very Happy

That's good. With this stuff I've wondered if 'its just me', but it seems not.

Does anyone know what the fore\aft difference is on a Marker Baron ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndAnotherThing.., varies from 6mm with touring boots to 2mm with alpine boots. Spyderjon has common delta figs on his site.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
.....Does anyone know what the fore\aft difference is on a Marker Baron ?

Marker used to advertise their Tour range (Duke/Baron/F12/F10, either std or EPF) as being flat/zero delta but it was bollox.

With most alpine boots they have 2mm delta and with most AT boots they have 6mm delta.

I've got loads of shim options here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oceanic, thanks for the Skia trainer suggestion, i'll hopefully have some time after xmas to play around.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gorilla wrote:
Lou Dawson has a helpful chart showing the toe and heel height differential between different pin bindings (link below). Pin height difference for a Rad 2 is 15mm. The exact delta, though, will change depending on how the inserts are positioned on the boot and how much rocker the sole has. Absent a 3d printer the best option are the B and D shims. Given the size of the differential in some bindings (17mm for a vertical ST) it isn't a surprise it feels different.

https://www.wildsnow.com/10733/get-up-rise-up-stand-up-for-your-ramp/

Note that a number of those entries are incorrect. For example a Rad 2 binding has a delta of 9.5mm with most boots (same as a Kingpin).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
... I've previously had my binding setup assessed by Andi and Colin at Solutions4Feet and I have a clear preference for a zero delta, which I'm certain explains why I was so unhappy on the Whitedots as the Vist 311 binding can be as much as 6mm heel high. Interesting what difference just a few millimetres makes in the overall skiing experience.

Few years ago I went off to Hintertux for 4 days before Christmas with my new skis and a load of shims. After experimentation I found that about 4mm was my sweet spot which was then verified by Andi and Colin in blind testing in the shop. Colin then had to re-heel and rout my boots to get them to play nicely with the Marker bindings on the Volkl skis (Code Speedwall S UVO) which if I remember correctly have about -2mm ramp delta!!! For obvious reasons I'm not changing my boots or skis until they're completely fubared ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just made a pair of 5mm toe shims for a customer for their Beast 14/Rad 2 toes:

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find the Beast skis just fine as is, each to their own.........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied with the toe shims I made for the Rad2's on Cham 2.0s, as well as swapping between different boots and other skis, jumping between different set up most days for about 3 weeks.

My general impression is that the shims help although there is a slight difference between boots (Dynafit v Scarpa SLs). I also played with my skiing posture and reckon shorter poles (120 instead of 125cm) are likely to help with high performance piste stuff, which made a difference.

I'd be interested in trying a zero angle on the Rad2 \ Cham set up (even with the shims there is an angle), but the current solution is good enough for now given its really a touring biased application.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy