Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surefoot London: Issues with my new custom liners & insoles?

Poster: A snowHead
Just paid close to £700 for new shells, liners and insoles today and just want your opinion if this is to be expected:

1 - The fabric on the insoles doesn't seem to be properly glued and the edges and one of the heels have already peeled off: https://i.imgur.com/3oego3F.jpg
2 - There is a very noticeable ridge/bump only on the left liner. Is this part of the normal moulding process as it seems abnormal: https://i.imgur.com/dwtykK1.jpg
3 - Isn't the heel part at the bottom of the liner supposed to be flat, so the custom insole can lay flat? The right liner is completely flat, while the left is not:
https://i.imgur.com/Mx1aT2E.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mk8WqCW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IsMeQQV.jpg

4 - I see there were some velcro straps which were cut off. What were these for? https://i.imgur.com/LOjgqGC.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-12-17 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CYPER, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I’m not familiar with the Surefoot liner, but the insoles look like they are second hand rather than brand new, but since I assume you saw them being made, they just look poor quality. My insoles still look new after 4 years.

Not sure why they would have cut that strap off, as it doesn’t appear to be the one you use to help put the boot on. Your liner appears to be this X5 foam liner, which doesn’t show the cut strap.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=surefoot+liners&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB591&hl=en-GB&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjprp-pgZPYAhWOHsAKHUHkCmgQ_AUIEigC&biw=1366&bih=909#imgrc=4orZoebGFgDK7M:
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CYPER, I would tend to agree, that doesn't look right. If I'd just paid close to £700 for boots, I'd be straight back to the fitter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CYPER, price is about right, quality of the work is shocking, the liner has a massive crease in it, the footbed top cover has not been bonded properly in general it looks like the fitter couldn't give a dam
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd not give a client boots, liners and footbeds in that state - ever. Awful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CYPER, where did you buy them from? Get straight back there and have a word! Assuming that's a custom made liner you'll be needing a new one IMHO and those insoles look well used!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi again,

I bought them from Surefoot in Fulham.
I did email them last night with the images and just spoke with them on the phone.

The guy explained that :

The adhesive is activated by heat and once I ski a few days it will bond permanently. But at present the fabric is very loose and when I try to put the boots on it just crumples up. He said they will fix this free of charge.

The ridge on the liner is normal and is part of the moulding process. It's because of the tubing.

The heel ridges in the left liner are also normal and they don't affect the performance. Still I feel that they should not be there.

The velcro had been removed because it is not needed. Apparently it is only needed for people with thin legs.

Not sure if all this is true, but I am going again today.
I personally feel that they should do the liner again or I am being unreasonable?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CYPER, Sounds to me like you need your money back and go to a proper boot fitter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cyper I've foamed many hundreds of boots in my time, mainly conformable to be fair but a kinked liner like that is odd and not something i'd be happy with. Or having the straps cut off like that either. Leaving them there would be optimal. Footbeds look like something odd has happened to them. All in all I'd not be that impressed frankly esp. for that money.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a similar problem with a pair of strolz boots many moons ago - went to the main factoty in Lech and they confirmed the "boot fitter" in a major fitness chain here in Vienna had used the wrong shell. In fairness to strolz they gave me a whole new boot and only charged me a little for the new liner.

Maybe contacting surefoot direct will get you a better response & solution.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not qualified to talk about the liners but those footbeds are a joke - no way will that bond after a few days, you’ll just end up with a lump under your heel. Fix “free of charge” - they’re taking the p**s!! Very shoddy workmanship- get your money back and go elsewhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CYPER, I would reference the post from one of the most respected bootfitters in the UK...

CEM wrote:
quality of the work is shocking, the liner has a massive crease in it, the footbed top cover has not been bonded properly in general it looks like the fitter couldn't give a dam

They will no doubt give you some spiel about how it's a custom product and that means they can't refund it. The answer is they should have thought about that before they produced such a monstrosity. Ski shops think they can get away with bad work because it's custom and therefore not refundable. It absolutely is refundable if they're not what they're meant to be.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 18-12-17 18:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agreed, that's crap work.

@CYPER, I'd be interested to know how much shell gap you have?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that is a load of shocking sh@te - the insoles particularly give the game away... and if you showed them the pic you put up and their reply is "The adhesive is activated by heat and once I ski a few days it will bond permanently" - this is utter cr@p, and a sign you can't trust them at all in any way whatsoever.

Get a refund - don't even attempt to get them 'repaired' as it'll just be another string of bodged nonsense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you paid by credit card - Id log a dispute with them.
Get a refund & take your business elsewhere. That is awful work.

If you decide to give them a 2nd chance, then i would ask for a 25-30% discount to cover your inconvenience, loss of time, etc.
snow conditions
CYPER wrote:
The adhesive is activated by heat and once I ski a few days it will bond permanently. But at present the fabric is very loose and when I try to put the boots on it just crumples up. He said they will fix this free of charge.

The ridge on the liner is normal and is part of the moulding process. It's because of the tubing.
?

I'd agree on getting a full refund. What "heat" did they expect to generate to magically smooth out the fabric and magically bond to the footbed?

you may want to point them at their own video Smile

Nice smooth footbed, no loose fabric at all @ 1m:15 secs in, and note the tubes don't run up the sides at all later in the same video, so no chance of that wrinkle which will cause you issues IMHO.

http://youtube.com/v/kyGKWUzb-tU
ski holidays
Looks like a dreadful job - surefoot should pay you to take your post down. I just love the idea that after a few days in the snow the heat will have fixed your insoles - what a joke - if that was the case then parts of your new insoles would have bonded to your socks!
The liner should not be creased - I would not have left the store with that pile of junk.
good luck and be sure to keep us updated.
latest report
I went to the store yesterday and the guy again explained that the ridges on the side and bottom of the liner are normal and should disappear once I start skiing with the boots. He did however admit that the top fabric of the insoles has not been done properly and redid them. On leaving the store I asked if he will be willing to throw in a free pair of skiing socks to compensate me for the inconvenience of having to return back, but he explained that only the manager can authorize this.

I just sent this email to the manager:

Quote:
Dear Chris,

I came to your store this past Sunday and after a brief consultation with Kalin decided to go all the way and get new insoles, liner and shell.
As you have probably read my previous email you know what my concerns were.
I called the store yesterday to raise these and the guy I spoke with (apologies for not remembering his name) tried to explain why my liner and insole are absolutely fine and there is nothing I should be worried about. He even suggested that the adhesive bonding the insole with the top fabric is activated by heat and once I ski a few days it will bond permanently, which now I know any good bootfitter would agree is just an excuse for a poorly done job.

Not being happy with the results I went to the store yesterday and the guy again explained that the ridges on the side and bottom of the liner are normal and should disappear once I start skiing with the boots. He did however admit that the top fabric of the insoles has not been done properly and redid them. On leaving the store I asked if he will be willing to throw in a free pair of skiing socks to compensate me for the inconvenience of having to return back, but he explained that only the manager can authorize this.

I did post a topic on snowHeads and people were not impressed with the quality of your work. Even the owner of Solutions4Feet expressed an opinion saying "quality of the work is shocking, the liner has a massive crease in it, the footbed top cover has not been bonded properly in general it looks like the fitter couldn't give a dam". For complete transparency you can read the entire thread here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3150789

Overall I am completely disappointed by the service for which I had to delay my skiing trip by 1 day and come to you on my own expense (parking in front of your store is not cheap) so that you can fix something you messed up in the first place. I am still not convinced that the ridges on the liner should be there and I wish that I had the time to go somewhere else in the first place - either Profeet or Solutions4Feet who are highly recommended at the snowHeads forum. I expected more for close to £700.

At this point I strongly feel it would be reasonable of you to offer a discount in the form of a partial refund to cover for my loss of time, expenses and inconvenience, not to mention having to cut my skiing trip short. If you don't agree with that and care about your online reputation I suggest you post a comment in the snowHeads topic explaining why the service you provided is of good quality and let your potential future customers be the judge of that. After all the guy instore told me that your main source of customers is by recommendation and word of mouth. Do you think I would recommend you?

Regards,
Me
ski holidays
Seems frankly odd. Nothing like the experience I had dealing with them as a company a couple of years ago.

Don't they have a guarantee? I only needed footbeds from them, but even those came with some paperwork and a comfort guarantee thing that basically implied if I wasn't happy they'd do them again until I was.

I'm kind of hoping this is pre-Xmas crazy busy period work, and they'll be very quick to get it fixed. I have a customer that i was steering towards heading there to do some work, but the outcome of this probably would colour that recommendation quite a lot.
snow report
Will be interesting to see what response you get, @CYPER.
snow report
wow looks like a proper bodge job . i and several friends have had ski boots fitted by surefoot in val disere no issues at all .
snow report
I think you are being more than reasonable. As others have suggested, based on work to date, whatever they do to try and rectify is unlikely to be of a very high standard.

You have an absolute right to reject goods with full refund if any faults are found within 30 days of purchase. You don't have to let them fix them. Google "consumer rights act right to reject".

I have only ever used this once (not ski related), and felt somewhat sorry for retailer at the time, but sometimes you are left with little choice.
snow conditions
@CYPER, good for you. Did your really sign off "me"? Caused a chuckle. Not a great advert for the shop is it?! Eek!
snow report
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
Seems frankly odd. Nothing like the experience I had dealing with them as a company a couple of years ago.

Don't they have a guarantee? I only needed footbeds from them, but even those came with some paperwork and a comfort guarantee thing that basically implied if I wasn't happy they'd do them again until I was.

I'm kind of hoping this is pre-Xmas crazy busy period work, and they'll be very quick to get it fixed. I have a customer that i was steering towards heading there to do some work, but the outcome of this probably would colour that recommendation quite a lot.

I was told about the guarantee, but this was not discussed. I was merely explained that I can get the boots adjusted at any of their locations. As I am heading to La Plagne tomorrow I asked which location would be the closest I they told me it's Val d'Isere, which is 1 hour drive.
I sincerely hope the boots are fine and I don't have to go there. The holiday hasn't started yet and I am already stressed Sad

kerb wrote:
I think you are being more than reasonable. As others have suggested, based on work to date, whatever they do to try and rectify is unlikely to be of a very high standard.

You have an absolute right to reject goods with full refund if any faults are found within 30 days of purchase. You don't have to let them fix them. Google "consumer rights act right to reject".

I have only ever used this once (not ski related), and felt somewhat sorry for retailer at the time, but sometimes you are left with little choice.

If I had more time I would have gone to Solutions4Feet, but every other recommended bootfitter is busy, so I had no choice. It was a last minute decision.

kittya wrote:
@CYPER, good for you. Did your really sign off "me"? Caused a chuckle. Not a great advert for the shop is it?! Eek!

I signed with my name Wink
ski holidays
@CYPER, if you do have to go to Val D'Isere, take this webpage with you! If your boots are causing you pain early on a one hour trip to Val D'Isere may be better than a miserable holiday??

http://www.surefoot.com/guarantee.php
snow conditions
Might be easier to get to the Courchevel store from La Plagne.
ski holidays
@CYPER, be aware that foamed liners can be somewhat tight for the first few days, mine were - both times. And there’s not a lot you can do except let them bed in and loosen off a little.

Oh, and I’ve only just looked at your pics. Cripes what a mess!
ski holidays
I will be looking out for a shinny pair of Surefoot boots for the next couple of weeks - good luck and please post the reply!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliee wrote:
I will be looking out for a shinny pair of Surefoot boots for the next couple of weeks - good luck and please post the reply!

I would be a little careful of posting the reply without the sender's express permission. However there would be nothing wrong in posting a para phrased summary
ski holidays
@Charliee, Yep....if the OP has beef with the supplier I don't see that that stuff should be appearing on the web, not particularly fair especially if they are trying to sort it.
ski holidays
Looking forward to Surefoot popping up on the thread to put their side of the story (if any)

snow report
@CYPER, thanks for that, i expect a grumpy phone-call form Surefoot at some point later today !
snow report
@CYPER,

Have you done a shell fit check?

http://youtube.com/v/Byj0wywypqM

http://youtube.com/v/WZx4GYLS5FE
snow report
Hi, @On the rocks, @Markymark29, I should have said on the pistes of La Plagne.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
@CYPER, thanks for that, i expect a grumpy phone-call form Surefoot at some point later today !
I'm sure you will be more than equal to dealing with that! wink
snow report
Guess many bootfitters are well under stress at the moment (customers coming in last minute and all), it could just be a one off. Other people have been happy with their bootfitting work.
Probably only fair to let the surefoot manager have a chance to sort it out before naming and shaming on the Internet.
Also not fair to name CEM in a conflict without his permission.
This approach riles Surefit London and causes a potential conflict between CEM & Surefit. The last thing we want is professionals like CEM withholding their advice for fear of conflict from other bootfitters.
Give the surefit manager a chance to sort it before hammering them more on the Internet.
snow report
CEM wrote:

To be fair this is a risk of a forum where your identity is known and you post honest opinions instead of watered down platitudes. So long as your opinions are honestly held and based in fact, then just stand by them. It's people such as yourself that make this place worthwhile.
ski holidays
I used surefoot in Courcheval a few years ago and was more than satisfied with the product and their service - I had new liners fitted and kept my old shell - just thought I say Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
To be fair @CYPER, appeared less convinced about the quality of his purchase and sort opinion. This is not a thread about size, suitability, fitting or lack of comfort, its one of poor workmanship. To shell out £700 on ski boots is top $ and you should rightly expect the highest standards of workmanship. CEM has done 3 sets of boots for me and I've always been 100% satisfied with the end product. I suspect he would never have allowed me to leave his playground had he been aware of some of the defects clearly evident in the photos provided by CYPER.
I don't wish to be involved in a discussion about the wrongs and rights of posting on the net but it gets results. If the end result is that Surefoot up their game then its a benefit to future customers.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
CEM wrote:
I'm sure you will be more than equal to dealing with that! wink

What you said was 100% factual based on the images provided. Different field, but exactly what I have to deal with all day when dealing with failed work of other people. Just state the facts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy