Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the technical term? Comedy errors.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to touring. A more experienced friend agreed to take me out on a trip. We climbed for 3 hours to get to a stunning gladed descent in 30 cm of untracked BC powder.

The first turns were fine then i fell. Lost confidence and started bad skiing. More falls somersaults etc. After about 5 mins realised my boots were in walk mode Toofy Grin . This undid about 1.5 hours climbing. After fixing the skiing was amazing. Is there a name for this? Perhaps a German compound word? Any suggestions accepted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dummkopfcockup?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheStupid?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schildbürgerstreich
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@motdoc, even the most experienced of tourers can make this mistake sometimes Embarassed

OH can do it on a regular basis Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@motdoc, since you owned up to yours... at EOSB I was getting my airbag handle out of the shoulder strap and got it stuck in the zip. In trying to free the stoppage I pulled the zip really hard which yanked the handle wire and did the inevitable. And yes this was amusing to everyone because we were not on the mountain... we were in a bar.

I think this is a viable thread for others to own up too right? Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dp wrote:
@motdoc, since you owned up to yours... at EOSB I was getting my airbag handle out of the shoulder strap and got it stuck in the zip. In trying to free the stoppage I pulled the zip really hard which yanked the handle wire and did the inevitable. And yes this was amusing to everyone because we were not on the mountain... we were in a bar.

I remember there was a snowhead who set his airbag off inside his van! Still it beats a full cable car.

As for skiing in walk mode, I wonder if the OP is skiing too much in the back seat? It shouldn't make a huge difference.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First morning skiing of a planned 2nd sequential season. Skiing seemed much more difficult then I remembered, I had regressed and my previously “tolerable” boots were agony. Took boots off at lunch time. Inners in wrong boot, cork insoles (substantial for my pronating flat feet) on wrong foot and one binding set forward and the other back. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@motdoc, I wouldn't worry, in a group of 3 someone normally forgets something.

As for airbags I think it was a tea club group that had one go off under a restaurant table in Tignes. 8 new meals and 2 bottles please.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:

As for airbags I think it was a tea club group that had one go off under a restaurant table in Tignes. 8 new meals and 2 bottles please.

davidof wrote:

I remember there was a snowhead who set his airbag off inside his van! Still it beats a full cable car.

Well that all makes me feel better. I actually got on top of mine pretty quickly and jammed my fingers in the pressure relief so most of the air did at least come out of there, so I didn't get a full blown inflation so much as just shouting and ass flapping.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After an evening skinning, in the setting sun, about to start a tree run I found myself unable to engage the heel piece of my right ski. It appeared that in my rush to set off i forgot to change the heel piece on my bd factors! Embarassed That was an interesting descent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

After an evening skinning, in the setting sun, about to start a tree run I found myself unable to engage the heel piece of my right ski. It appeared that in my rush to set off i forgot to change the heel piece on my bd factors! That was an interesting descent.

Very Happy the downsides of adaptability!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motdoc, Ah yes, I might have done that once or twice Embarassed Normally at the start of the day – walking about in my boots to boots rooms, gondolas etc. And then I forget they are in walk mode when I’m clicking in to my skis. I normally realise within a second or two of pushing off, and stop and fix them before anyone realises.

davidof wrote:

As for skiing in walk mode, I wonder if the OP is skiing too much in the back seat? It shouldn't make a huge difference.

Ideally yes, but it depends how aggressively you set off. Switching my boots into walk mode turns them into almost slippers, they are sooooo much softer (Scott Cosmos II). I did once embarrass myself quite badly – in Whistler, hiking up Spankys, in walk mode. Forgot about that at the top out of sheer excitement, clicked in, and dropped straight in to the very small, icy, steep path at the top – being pretty aggressive and leaning right into the front of my boots. Boots gave way, and I fell off the path – fortunately not far, and into reasonably soft snow. A lovely German man was very concerned, until he realised I was in fits of laughter at my own stupidity. He was not the only audience – it was a pretty busy day up there! Anyway, dusted myself off, fixed my boots, and had a great ski down from there. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to say, my boots flex more after being in a warm restaurant, than they do in the cold in walk mode, so I can get away with being in walk mode Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dp wrote:

bahah! I had my handle get caught on a tree branch, luckily as I was coming to a stop... I could've won a game of Operation with how delicately I handled that.
ski holidays
Did exactly the same as the OP at the off piste bash this year.

Walked all morning up to the top of a face we'd seen the previous day. Sat eating lunch hoping the snow would soften then set off anyway. It was a little crusty and heavy, but I couldn't understand why I skied it like a bag of spanners; until I got to the bottom and tried to put the skis back in walk mode. Ah...... Embarassed
snow report
Classic double today.

First off the wife of a guide friend was skiing with us today and she has to be one of the best female FreeRider skiers around (lives in La Grave) and guess what she did?

Then yours truly about half an hour later Smile

In our defense we did do a lot of hiking (not skinning) today
ski holidays
Not a technical failure, but embarrassing. I took my first week skinning a couple of years ago. First ascent was only 300m vertical, but despite being a keen cyclist, I was using muscles new to me. A very warm March day so the jackets were off and tied to the backpacks. About 5 minutes from the top I decided to put the jacket back on. Oh dear! There were only two of us plus the guide, so the guide (whose expression had by now lowered the air temperature somewhat) set off down the track. Overcome with guilt, I waited a few minutes and then set off after him. The jacket had dropped no more than 30m from the start. When the guide turned and saw me, the temperature plummeted to ice age levels as he calmly pointed out that "now we'll have to ascend at your speed, whereas I could do it in a third of the time. Never do that again". My punishment was to nearly experience heart failure at the end of the second ascent. I'm glad to say that the rest of the week was brilliant and I have definitely got the bug.

Mind you, these days anything outside the pack is now checked and checked again!
ski holidays
Although I wasn't there to witness it I believe on a recent EOSB a certain snowHead emptied his sack all the way down the mountain.... Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Was skiing with OH and guide off top of Brevent. Ski down, skins on to then ski down again. Discovered that her old skins weren't quite as good a fit for her new skis as i'd assured her. Embarassed
snow conditions
On a ski touring day out on Cairngorm with a bunch of climbing friends we skied a short steep slope then skinned back up, well all but one who arrived at the top a little later, out of breath and carrying his skis "these skins are useless" After we stopped lauging we pointed out that he had attached them back to front. I have photographic evidence
ski holidays
It's been a while but it seems fitting to regurgitate this moment of Arno's following a hour long skin, struggling into the teeth of a gale...

http://youtube.com/v/y8C0yaiTuA4
ski holidays
Find me anyone who's done a reasonable amount of skinning and has never started skiing in walk mode! It does depend very much on the boot though. Most of my boot flex when walking comes from having the cuffs released on their extra long catches, the actual release on the heel really doesn't make a lot of difference, in fact I sometimes think I ski better with it released.

When I did Alison Culshaw's off piste course she had us (optionally) skiing (very carefully) both on and off piste with boots fully undone - walk mode and cuffs released. The object is to teach you to balance properly rather than let the boots do the balancing for you. Any good telemarker using older leather boots would have little trouble with such exercises.
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
It's been a while but it seems fitting to regurgitate this moment of Arno's following a hour long skin, struggling into the teeth of a gale....

Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy