Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good alternative to La Clusaz? Morzine, Megeve, St Gervais, les Contamines Montjoie...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We have taken our children a couple times to la Clusaz and loved it. Small village with enough restaurants and bars to keep us fed, the outdoor skating rink, and just charming feel. But are looking to change this year. We are focusing on the places I mentioned above: Megeve, St Gervais, Morzine, Les Gets, Les Contamines, even Pralognan la Vanoise, but I am a bit lost on which to choose. Budget is an issue, but so is the charm and an outdoor skating rink! We have actually found the cheapest apartments in Megeve. Although the skiing and ESF are more expensive. Any advice? I think ultimately, we will be deciding between Megeve, St Gervais and Morzine.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would add Val Cenis and Montgenevre to your list of places to consider ...particularly if you are thinking of late season. They are cheaper overall than the places you have listed in my opinion. I prefer Montgenevre of the two but Val Cenis is slightly nearer and cheaper.

If I had to pick from your list I would book St Gervais - but have only been in summer, not skied there yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
February (end of French school break)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The French school hols don't end till 11 March, @K78m. Les Saisies and the Espace Diamant would be a good alternative - but not in the French hols. The week afterwards would be ideal.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. We are on the Paris French holiday schedule. We live in the Paris area. So we will look to go the second week, 24/2-3/3. I'm really just trying to decide, among the places I mentioned, where to go. If anyone has opinions of Morzine or Megeve, for ex. As I said, we've only ever been to la Clusaz. But are looking to change. Thanks once again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samoens?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Any advice? I think ultimately, we will be deciding between Megeve, St Gervais and Morzine.

I'd probably go for Megeve if it's village charm you're after. I tend to think St Gervais and Morzine are more like proper towns with long lifts up to the slopes. The skiing on the Megeve side is very 'civilised' too so it's quite similar to La Clusaz and a nice alternative.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Praz de Lys?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks! Tell me then, Megeve has a few different lift areas. We've found accommodation around Jaillet, but also near Mont d'Arbois and Rochebrune/Chamois. In your view, how do these areas differ? Ideally, the kids will do their ESF, we too may ski. Otherwise we'll grab a hot chocolate somewhere, walk around. Meet the kids later and go to the outdoor skating rink. Pretty much keep things relaxed. Is all of Megeve close enough that it won't matter where we choose to stay?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
les contamines has an outside skating rink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megeve is lovely, but pricey. Easting out/having a beer will set you back and there weren't too many "cheaper optinos" aside from the Crepe Shop in town. That said the food was fabulous!

The ski area is great, with easy access from Megeve to the Rocheburne, Mont Joly and Les Jaillet sections, where you can ski further afield (St.gervais, Las Gietterez (sp), Combloux) - I spend a weekend there last season and loved and would gladly go back. Would prefer not to take my kids and just the wife!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pralognan is charming and not pricy. The Olympic ice rink is indoors. Wonderful mountain scenery,well groomed pistes,ideal for younger children. Small ski area but La Plagne is 15mins. and Courchevel 30mins. if you want more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@K78m, If budget is an issue I am unsure why you are restricting yourself to a couple of ski areas with the most expensive lift prices in France? Whilst your accommodation option in Megeve might be reasonable the mountain restaurants are amongst the most expensive and I think the lift pass is too. The portes du soleil lift pass is also one of the most expensive. Both ski areas considerably more than La Clusaz/Aravis from memory.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had actually looked a thing cheaper places (incl. Pralognan, St Jeanne d'Aulps) but maybe because of their size, there is far less choice in terms of lodging. And despite the more expensive lifts in the places I mentioned, the overall price is either the same or more. Plus, my kids are still beginner skiers (they'll be going for their 1ère étoile), and a bunch of the more expensive places have cheap deals for ESF+forfait at beginner levels. So that's why I have focused on these places. I am open to suggestions! Will double check once again at Pralognan. But in the meantime, any additional info about Megeve "neighborhoods" or Morzine feel would be great. But again, suggests away! Thanks
ski holidays
I really like the skiing in Megeve/St Gervais, although it is always just day trips rather than staying overnight (in fact I'm going tomorrow). The Jaillet/Combloux sector seems to be quieter, but is a bit further from the centre of town. The Megeve/StG area has lots of cruisey blues and reds with great views over Mont Blanc.

Megeve is a pretty village, but the restaurants and shops are high-end. There weren't even many normal ski shops in the centre. St Gervais is a bit more reasonably priced and has a better mix of eateries and shops, but it is a bit less easy to get to and from the lifts.

Of the others listed, Les Gets is particularly great for kids (and adults too)
ski holidays
The Jaillet sector also keeps its snow less well (wrong side of the valley)
ski holidays
@K78m, I don't know pralognan or st Jeanne d'aulps. However my suggestions above were Montgenevre and Val Cenis...they are reasonable size resorts and good value all round. I prefer the skiing in Montgenevre but Val Cenis is cheaper and bit more accessible if you are driving.

If you particularly want to go to the Northern Alps I think Les Saisies is good value and a decent ski area.
ski holidays
Les contamines website does great packages that include accommodation and lift passes
snow report
Quote:

les contamines has an outside skating rink

Opened the last couple of seasons. Near the centre of the village and rather nice.
St G and Les C are certainly cheaper than Megeve and PdS.
The Les C pass (as opposed to the more expensive EMB pass) is plenty for a week of skiing with kids. We only get the Les C season pass and pay ad hoc for the occasional day in St G etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy