Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba - B & B Garni Laura v Hotel Portavescovo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, on trip to Arabba, we have 2 options. We can just stay in the Portavescovo, but in a room already assigned which is likely to be noisy. Or we can stay a short distance away in the Garni Laura, where we would have breakfast, but then take dinner in the Portavescovo. Apparently the Garni Laura has quieter rooms, although it looks v central and near to lifts.
Lots of snowHeads out there know Arabba like the back of their hands. Advice welcome please. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't used it - but the Laura is right in the central square a few yards from Bar Peter and (possibly) nearer the lifts than the Porto

You can view Arabba in Google Street View and practice the walk to the Porto... https://goo.gl/hrgaN2

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-12-17 20:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@intermediate, do they really mean Garni Laura, not Bellavista? We know the Bellavista is linked to Portavescovo and people staying there take the evening meals in PV, but I had never heard of this for Garni Laura before now.

When you say the PV room is likely to be noisy, any clues? Is it because it is one close to bar/lounge?

How many of you, how sensitive are you to noise and so on?

PV is central, has a nice wellness area too and ski/boot room etc downstairs plus several public areas to relax (bar which is lively, lounge which tends to be deserted when sHs are there plus comfy sofas around reception between the two which make for more relaxed conversation than bar if it is full).

Never stayed in Laura, sorry. But it will be a bit closer to the church and so to the morning bells, in case you forget your alarm clock. Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-12-17 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@intermediate The rooms at the front of the PV are noisy because people stand outside the lively hotel apres bar to smoke and continue their 100db drunken conversations/arguments. this goes on until about 2.00 in the morning

Take ear plugs and you should be fine (I speak as one sensitive to night time noise)

Lovely hotel apart from that
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for your responses. It is definitely the Garni Laura that's an alternative, not the Bellavista. It looks well positioned and the Mnagaer, Sebastien, assures me it is much quieter. We are quite sensitive to early morning noise and struggle to get back to sleep if woken 2 or 3am.
Even if we choose the Garni Laura, which is a 3* B&B, we'll still eat take dinner at Portavescovo and have full access to facilities at both places.

Given the comments about amount and timing of noise at PV, I'll suggest to Mrs intermediate Garni Laura might be better, then she'll decide as usual. Will take a better look at G street view too. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@intermediate, I have stayed in both, so Ill be your fountain of all knowledge Happy

Personally, if you are after convenience and quiet I would go for the Garni Laura every time.

Benefits of the Garni Laura:

- Closer to lifts
- Rooms nicer
- Beds comfier
- Bathrooms bigger
- Chance of a balcony
- Much Quieter
- I prefer the spa (Steam room, jacuzzi, sauna, loungers)
- Has a more homely feel
- As well as curtains the rooms have electric shutter on to keep the light out and the noise of your midnight frolics in ;-P

Downsides to Gaurni Laura

- No table to wax skis on
- No pool (use PVs)
- No Snooker Table (use PVs)
- No bar (but just nip to the PV, Heidis etc)
- Boot room doesn't stay quite as warm, and less chairs available for kitting up

Simple choice for me!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulC1984, thanks for great summary! Mrs intermediate agreed it was a no brainer, so a room on the back of the Garni Laura it is. Happy days (and quietish nights...until 7am!).
Sebastian said there are some large, potentially noisy groups, in Portavesco this week. As he's used to snowHead bashes, I took this as an eardrum threat.
snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulC1984, no table to wax skis. Pay the lady at the ski school Happy

Boot room cold? Is that a problem for tight ski boots or do you mean to fall asleep in after 12 sambucas? Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GlasgowCyclops, but if someone else does your skis bob, whose going to buy my wine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And as for being too cold, there aren't any benche's either so the boot room will be wholey unsuitable for my post tipple snooze Shocked Shocked Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, but if someone else does your skis bob, whose going to buy my wine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And as for being too cold, there aren't any benche's either so the boot room will be wholey unsuitable for my post tipple snooze Shocked Shocked Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy