Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick last minute break after Xmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anyone know of any decent offers available for the week after Xmas.

Three of us going. Me an intermediate and my other half and son (7yrs old) both brand new to the sport.

We don’t have a preference for location as long as it has decent food and a nice hotel/chalet.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...aka New Year week... It's the busiest and most expensive week of the year.

Is that your only option?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really? Id seen people mention it was cheaper..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, sorry to say - @red 27 is quite right. Could you go in the first week after NY? Half the price, 20% of the people.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose we could.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depending on what the 7 year old's school holiday 'commitments' are like, will make a big difference to cost and how busy resorts will be. My 'other half is a teacher so I'm 'stuck' with her holiday schedule and its Boxing Day to 2nd January for me, but, on the upside we will enjoy a fabulous Buon Anno in the Italian Alps, so all good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DanFuller, I would strongly advise against the NY week, especially with those new to the sport.

w/c Sat 6th would be miles better and miles cheaper
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, ill take that onboard. Can anyone recommend a site to check for deals please
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DanFuller, start with Iglu for the search, throws up probably the widest range of options. Then once you have worked out 2/3 options either give them a call and negotiate, or have a google to see which operator runs them and give them a call to get a quote.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have two beginners, try to ensure your accommodation is a REALLY easy distance from the ski school meeting place. One other problem with New Year (if we haven't discouraged you enough already) is it could well be impossible to fix up ski lessons for your two beginners, as ski schools will be heavily booked.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you would consider Italy, flying to Milan, have a look at Bella Ski Italia, very reasonable 'all in' costs in small very friendly Italian resorts Chiesa Valmalenco and Madesimo as the beginners wont need miles of piste and the food is fab.

I'm in Madesimo at NY, it's a bigger resort but having been to Chiesa it's so friendly, the whole town is, costs on the hill are favorable, your partner and son will have a great week, as lessons are decent and the best value I've seen anywhere and you ski in and out of a bowl, so you will be 'in touch' with them throughout the morning while they are learning.

The only downside is that it might not be enough for you for a week, but, I took the view that the 'job' of a first trip was to get the others hooked on skiing and leave 'touring the Dolomites' for your next trip when you can all benefit and you know that everyone likes it (how can't they?).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Www.dolomitesunltd.com is doing a short break after Xmas in the Albergo Frohsinn, piste side in the Dolomites and pleasant chalet (apparently, never been myself!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Uncle Rico wrote:
If you would consider Italy, flying to Milan, have a look at Bella Ski Italia, very reasonable 'all in' costs in small very friendly Italian resorts Chiesa Valmalenco and Madesimo as the beginners wont need miles of piste and the food is fab.

I'm in Madesimo at NY, it's a bigger resort but having been to Chiesa it's so friendly, the whole town is, costs on the hill are favorable, your partner and son will have a great week, as lessons are decent and the best value I've seen anywhere and you ski in and out of a bowl, so you will be 'in touch' with them throughout the morning while they are learning.

The only downside is that it might not be enough for you for a week, but, I took the view that the 'job' of a first trip was to get the others hooked on skiing and leave 'touring the Dolomites' for your next trip when you can all benefit and you know that everyone likes it (how can't they?).

Thank you, ill look into that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toyah807 wrote:
Www.dolomitesunltd.com is doing a short break after Xmas in the Albergo Frohsinn, piste side in the Dolomites and pleasant chalet (apparently, never been myself!)

I have stayed there a few times - it's a fab location as it's about 150m uphill from the main bubble which takes you up to the Piz Sorega. You should be able to ski in/out, but for the wife and nipper they would have to walk - it's not to bad to walk back from the base station but it would be around the edge of the piste and you definitely earn that apres beer. The hotel itself is not bad but it's not exactly 'lux' - so for keen skiers that are out all day on the mountain, and come back for dinner before falling into bed it's fine, Food has been decent - overall think 'travelodge' but with a touch more rustic charm and you won't be surprised - last time I went it was sheets and blankets not duvets

There's a ski school in the village (San Cassiano) and I'm sure they'll teach beginners - but it might be worth checking prior to booking - I'm sure that's something the dolomitesun can check for you. The way the slopes work I'm sure all the lesssons will start at the top of the main piz sorega bubble, so that means you can easily help the family to the meeting point (carrying kit etc) before setting off on your own skiing. There's a nice flat spot at the top for the first slides, and then to progress a separate 'learners' piste with it's own drag lift.

For yourself there's some great skiing on the plateau, and round and about the alta badia sector - santa croce is a nice 'trip out' the red and black down to alta badia can be quite challenging

Enjoy if you end up going
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DanFuller, I've got 5 nights in my apartment in Serre Chevalier available from 2nd January if that would be of interest, we're just 200m from the nursery slopes and chairlifts. New Generation Serre Chevalier have lessons for all levels. 250km of pistes for all. Not catered of course, but loads of good value places to eat in the village, and we can arrange for delivery of pre-prepared meals. Flights available to Turin. The link to my website is in my signature.
snow conditions
Italy's great, except at Capodanno (New Year) when the world and its mother descend on the ski resorts, it is the single busiest week in most resorts. For Italians skiing is as much about the social aspect, so they all go at the same time to meet up with friends & family...best avoided by anyone else who is seeking a relaxing ski holiday. The majority will go home by the Tuesday 2nd though.

You have to watch that whole week though, as it's Russian Orthodox Xmas on Jan 7th, so any resort that is popular with them will be busy the first 10 days of January.

New Year is just crazy busy all over the Alps, a week or so later and it's deserted.
snow conditions
Ok so I think I’ve narrowed it down to Passo Tonale or Bardonecchia

Can I ask if people find it cheaper to book seperately or as a package given my desire for a certain location.

If anyone could recommend activities and ski schools for these areas I’d be greatly appreciative.
snow report
@DanFuller, Both those resorts are a challenge in terms of DIY transfer, so go for a tour operator package.
snow conditions
Ok, cheers.
ski holidays
quick in the sense that it's for less than 1 week, or in the sense that the departure date is soon?
ski holidays
Sorry I’ve spoken to the lady Indoors and we can go first or second week of jan for a week
ski holidays
DanFuller wrote:
Sorry I’ve spoken to the lady Indoors and we can go first or second week of jan for a week

Happy days. What's your budget?

Should be able to pick up something very good and cheap.
latest report
Quote open ended but anything up to £700 each. Given they are still quite young I’d prefer they have private lessons each morning and also the option to have a day/ afternoon spent doing something else at the resort, be it dog sledding etc
snow report
DanFuller wrote:
Quote open ended but anything up to £700 each. Given they are still quite young I’d prefer they have private lessons each morning and also the option to have a day/ afternoon spent doing something else at the resort, be it dog sledding etc

Is that £700 including lift pass/ ski hire and lessons or excluding?
latest report
Excluding
snow report
DanFuller wrote:
Excluding

In which case you will have probably hundreds of options.

Should be able to pick up something exceptional.
snow conditions
Agreed. I’m just a little concerned about them not having enough to keep them entertained out of skiing time.
snow conditions
Hi @DanFuller,

Do you want to drop me an email to heather@ice-fire.co.uk and I can quote you for something suitable?

We have space for those dates in our chalets in Les Coches and can help you to book morning ski school or private lessons for the kids..

In the afternoons we can give you suggestions but there is dog sledding, sledging area, good swimming pool etc nearby and the area is lovely for walk/hot choc/snow play type days as well.

The chalet is reduced to £399 pp fully catered leaving you a bit more of your budget to spend on the afternoon activities. . .

Happy planning!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After lessons, you can always practice what you learned earlier in the day, it helps to speed up the learning process, and soon you won't want to come off the mountain.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy