Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing, how much difference does it actually make.

Poster: A snowHead
Just come in from tuning and waxing my skis for the first time. Normally I've taken them to a shop but that seems to off closed down now and so the nearest one to where I live in Cornwall is miles away. I get the edging thing but when it comes to waxing I've just spent forty minutes melting wax on to my bases and then taking it all back off again with scraping and brushing. They now look and feel exactly how they did before I started. Unless something magic has happened that I cant see at a microscopic level I'm none the wiser. It also occurs to me that an unscrupulous ski service shop, or very busy one, could tell you they have waxed your skis and could you tell? You arrive at the resort don't glide as well as you would like but that could just as well be the conditions, who's to say.

One guy on a youtube video I watched recommended that your skis need re-waxing every 12 runs. What twice a day? I can understand if you're competing at a high level and between you and the next competitor could be tenths of a second but for a recreational skier like myself its not going to make a lot of difference surely.

Anyway I'll carry on doing it coz it's fairly therapeutic and its something to do to heighten the excitement of the forthcoming trip and I wouldn't want to shock my skiing buddies into a frosty silence by admitting that I hadn't had my skis waxed before I came out.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It makes a lot of difference; a ski or snowboard that hasn't been waxed for a long time will behave really badly (not glide) on certain snow types. There are some snow types that don't reveal the difference, but there are others which noticeably do: spring snow and poor-mans-powder would be good examples.

You are correct: the difference is not really visible to the naked eye. Note that wax itself doesn't glide (try pushing a candle around), but it does something magic to the stuff your bases are made of. Somebody much more knowledgeable about it than me will surely give us some details! That's why once the wax has fed into the base, we scrape all the superfluous remains off again.

Freshly waxed bases do shine and make the material look better fed, although I've never been able to make mine look anything like the shine that comes from a shop wax (which I suspect only looks shiny in the first place because its what the customer somehow expects). Still, however it looks, the results on the hill show that it's been worth doing.

Every 12 runs sounds absurd for anyone except competition racers! I would say every few days, though if I'm lazy I can easily go 10 days without bothering. (Which is not to say that the benefit doesn't exist.)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been skiing in a dome recently & after about 90mins the skis start to get very 'sticky' & the bases are very dry indeed; completely stripped of wax. Then I get them waxed for the next trip & they are brilliant for an hour or so. If it was real snow I'd expect to get a couple of days out of them at least.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jools 837, If they look and feel the same maybe they didn’t need waxing Very Happy

You will get every response from “I wax my skis every day”, to “I’ve never waxed my skis in x years and they’re fine”. Somewhere in between those two extremes is fine.

Usually you can feel the difference when skiing with the bases flat on the snow, between a well waxed ski and one that needs wax. If with everything else being reasonably equal, if you find you are sliding faster or slower than you skiing partner, then the wax is probably the difference.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
McKenzie wrote:
I've been skiing in a dome recently & after about 90mins the skis start to get very 'sticky' & the bases are very dry indeed; completely stripped of wax. Then I get them waxed for the next trip & they are brilliant for an hour or so. If it was real snow I'd expect to get a couple of days out of them at least.

Puzzled I think you need to go to a dome that has snow and not sand Very Happy
Black ski bases show the need to wax the clearest, as the wax is stripped by use, the base will start to look silver / grey especially under the foot near the edges as fine hairs and scratches build up on the base, these add friction to the base of the ski just like snow socks give grip to car tyres. Waxing flattens the hairs and fills the scratches, this is one way that wax reduces friction, the frictional properties of the wax itself can be changed according to snow type. On one trip I was left for dead on a long, slow trail back to the lift despite having recently waxed skis.
Unless you are racing, once a week is usually adequate
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine get waxed at start of the season, ski 50 days or so, wax again, ski another 50 days or so and they are fine BUT, I also give them covering of liquid wax from a tube and a rub over almost every morning which I think helps a lot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
McKenzie wrote:
I've been skiing in a dome recently & after about 90mins the skis start to get very 'sticky' & the bases are very dry indeed; completely stripped of wax.

I'm not being funny but you're doing something wrong if your skis are completely stripped of wax after 90 minutes.

I would bet that you're using the wrong temperature wax for the conditions inside the snowdome and that's why they're sticky.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, it's a universal wax & I know that I can ask for a harder one for dome use; it's just that at this time of year I'm hoping to be able to take a run up to Glenshee so they're set up with that faint hope in mind. Anyway, the point I was trying to make for Jools was that wax makes a difference & you can tell when it's gone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't disagree that wax makes a difference, but if 90 minutes of skiing in a dome is completely stripping your bases then you're either on the wrong wax or you're waxing them wrong because it's not staying in the base.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jools 837, You must be referring to Penrose having closed but there is an alternative in Truro, Bluebird ski services http://www.bluebirdskiservices.com.

I collected my board from Jamie yesterday and he was very proud to show off his work, despite a fairly worn base the wax is as good as any I've ever had done in resort and a huge improvement from the last mess.

BTW I get my boards waxed about every 15/20 full days or so with a couple of diy liquid waxes and a bit of filing in between.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs EWW had her skis waxed in the UK before our last trip. Seemed okay dowhill but no glide on the flats.

Halfway through the week took them to a shop for a rewax and completely different.

After that, always get mine waxed in resort, as locals match to temp / snow type.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only my experience but . . .
Skied in Scotland one weekend. Arrived in Austria late the next Saturday evening. Out skiing Sunday, dear lord it was hard work, skis just grabbed the snow. Dropped them off for a wax and edge Sunday night, Monday morning was a revelation. Smooth, fast, slidy skis!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like some heavy product selling here. The same post on numerous threads were wax is mentioned. I’m new to ski waxing, but there’s no way I’d invest a penny in a liquid spray that makes such claims. I would consider using it once it was well established as being industry leading and had glowing reports from many sources, mags, web sites etc. Confused Until then, I’ll stick to the tried and tested.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know the inventor personally. Its mad how people are so stuck with old technology, especially when it costs more and is awful for the environment.

Its quite incredible how well it works and has been tested on some big players in the industry for the last few years. Many pros use it without telling anyone as they don't want to give away their advantage!
ski holidays
Ok, but it’s kinda suspicious that you’ve just started posting and they are all about the same product. I’ll wait to be proved wrong. Very Happy
latest report
Thats because im trying to help him out! Anything wrong with spreading the good message - its not like its a bad product lol
snow report
@CharlieBaron, Get a decent reputation first. Looks kinda spammy from here. Nothing wrong with that from a user perspective but from an advertising perspective you don't want a reputation as a spammer.
snow conditions
@Thornyhill, it is spam. I knew from the start. Dp had mentioned them before. See the current Equipment Review threads. He’s just got on the wrong side of dp. Ouch. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Thanks Boardiek for the heads up on Truro. I was using some people in Newton Abbot coz I'm in South East Cornwall.
snow report
Quote:

Thats because im trying to help him out! Anything wrong with spreading the good message - its not like its a bad product lol

you have done nothing but spam countless threads.
It will be a product i'll be avoiding.
Now go tell your mate inventor you've peed off the biggest uk snow community and prob lost them future sales.
latest report
I had a board waxed in La thuile and it was the best the board has ever been, since then on the first day of any trip i leave it to be waxed for collection the next day.

Surely if it works or not is subjective but part of the waxing process is to fill the grooves made from stones etc, for the glideeeee.

As for the liquid stuff, i would buy it but still have the board waxed on the first day, and top up with spray when i felt i needed to, however at £ 30 a bottle thats pretty steep for the average once a year skier,(compared to 10 euro wax) missing a massive market, do a smaller bottle for half the cost.

good luck though
ski holidays
quick question for the Juice infinity mate

why two websites and two different products, a response would be appreciated, seems weird they are crowdfunding when they have a live product already.

https://looknowax.com/

https://www.juiceinfinity.com/
latest report
Quote:

Thats because im trying to help him out! Anything wrong with spreading the good message

Well not exactly. In the other threads you've been spamming you say

Quote:

We will be at all the major events this year so maybe see you down there!

Clearly you're affiliated with the company and are spamming the forum. So a spammer and a liar. As a representative for the company you're doing a pretty awful job for their reputation.

In fact I just saw someone else posted this in another thread (from Juice's website):

Quote:
'Meet the Team
Charlie Baron

Juice caught Charlie's attention through his love for technology, skiing and brands. Charlie front's the marketing efforts, looking to expand the brand globally.
Charlie is hoping to get over 100kmph on Ski's in the upcoming season with Juice's help!!'

So you're the marketing guy for juice but claim you're only posting because you 'know the inventor personally'. You really should be ashamed of yourself.
snow conditions
Would have been better to be up front about it, but as someone who waxes wayyy to many ski's most weeks, I'd happily look at something which reduces the time spent. I'll punt 30 quid on a bottle and give it a go, and promise to review it honestly.
ski holidays
Waxing makes a huge difference if the existing max has worn off, particularly in certain snow types as mentioned above.

My sister and brother-in-law, on hire skis, came off the top of the first chairlift in Alp d' Huez on day 1 of a holiday a few years back. It was snowing wet snow, and they literally stopped dead. Couldn't move.

Snow stuck to the ski, could be wiped off but immediately stuck again. A quick liquidwax got them back to the hire shop, where the techie tried to tell them it was the wrong type of snow. 😂

Meanwhile, my freshly waxed skis were fine all week.
snow report
Esdel wrote:

As for the liquid stuff, i would buy it but still have the board waxed on the first day, and top up with spray when i felt i needed to, however at £ 30 a bottle thats pretty steep for the average once a year skier,(compared to 10 euro wax) missing a massive market, do a smaller bottle for half the cost.

It's actually £60 a bottle RRP. The £30 is for the pre-order with 50% off. So I think it's pretty steep. £60 is 6 shop waxes and 6 waxes for most casual skiers is 2-3 years.

A bottle of it appears to be the amount you need to do 1 pair of skis. So I don't see the market for a smaller bottle, unless you have really small skis.

Funnily, my knowledge of the product is that it's actually better the other way around from what you said. I do know people who have skis manufacturer-treated with Juice, where the coating stays on very well and just means that when your wax is all worn off, the skis will perform better if they've got juice in than not. So I don't think you'd be wanting to top up the Juice (especially at that price). You can get Zardoz notwax for giving skis a bit of extra slide, on the go. If it's anything like the old product, Juice also say you can't apply their liquid with any wax on the skis.

Esdel wrote:
quick question for the Juice infinity mate
why two websites and two different products, a response would be appreciated, seems weird they are crowdfunding when they have a live product already.
https://looknowax.com/
https://www.juiceinfinity.com/

When I click on looknowax, it tells me to go to juiceinfinity.

But FYI, there was a product called Juice for several years (from the same set of people). I looked at it for my skis and decided against it. It was applied from a syringe:

http://youtube.com/v/bkbFNJz0c9A

You could get skis which came pre-impregnated with Juice. Everyone I spoke to said that it was basically better than nothing and if you wore all your wax off, a Juice'd base would be slippier than a dry base. Which seems a valid thing. I spoke to Chris from Juice about it and he told me that "JUICE is not a complete replacement for a fresh hot wax, rather it is there as a permanent improvement of the base." and that "JUICE modifies the base at a molecular level, so doesn’t actually have an impact on the inherent structure of the base material. Therefore, wax will stick to a JUICED base just as well as before. In fact, we have been reliably informed by a chemical scientist that JUICE will actually help wax to grip the base material and therefore it should remain longer before wearing off."

To be honest I am not against the concept of Juice at all. I gave it serious consideration when it was around last time, not as a total replacement for wax but as a base improvement that would keep my skis slick after the wax was all worn off... but I came to the conclusion that since it was around £60-70 a bottle, that doing 3 pairs of skis was going to cost £200 and that was quite a lot of money to spend when I've already got several blocks of wax sat in my cupboard ready to use.

All I am against is the attempt to deceive the forum by pretending to be an independent advocate of Juice Infinity despite having a username that showed he was clearly the marketing guy. Which is just dishonest and pretty stupid as well. I do have reservations about shelling out on a product who acts like that. Since their whole product is based on a fairly steep set of claims (some of which - if you read the website - are reasonably outlandish) which are only 'backed up' by a few quotes from some relatively successful sportsmen - there's not a word of science on that website; I am loathed to just 'take their word for it' when they're being represented by an outright liar.
snow conditions
I have been using Snake OilTM that I bought from a traveling salesman, and it works a charm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pyremaniac, in his first response pretty much answered your question @Jools 837.

I'd agree you really notice the difference on spring snow and wet snow.

Also you can tell the difference more on those long flat run outs. If you're not waxed you'll see how you don't hold speed anywhere near as well.

Here's my board with the wax on prior to scraping.

If you look at the right hand side tip where I haven't applied wax you can visibly see how dry the base is. Before teh wax went on much of the bottom of the board was like that.

And here it is after scraping and brushing.

So you can see the difference. I find a good wax and scrape will last me 3-4 days, so ideally on a week trip I like to re-wax mid-week though I must admit of late I've been slacking off and I can really feel the difference in the back end of the week. If it is spring snow with slush and what not the wax can wear off in a couple of days.
snow report
I usually apply wax indoors where its warmer, leave it in a warm room overnight, then scrape the next day in the garage.

And don't forget the golden rules:

Applying wax requires a civilised drink, a martini, or a g&t, or somesuch delight.

Scraping is energetic work so cold beer is the required accompaniement Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Oh and yes, it does feel non-sensical waxing it then scraping it all off again, but as you say the magic happens inside the material. As you heat the base and wax with the iron, the pores in the base open out and absorb the melted wax. You want to keep heating it as long as possible without burning it/the base - so don't just quickyl melt the wax, keep working it around as long as you can - until you feel the other side of the board just starts to warm up, so you now the heat is getting right into the base.

As it cools the pores close up and seals the wax in. You then scrape the excess off. The more you absorb into the base the better the glide and the longer it lasts, hence a two or three coats is better than one. I usually do two coats for a weeks holiday.

What no one has ever been able to tell me though, is why if Im doing two coats, do I scrape off the excess wax from the first coat to then apply more new wax. In my head why can't I just reheat the excess wax and warm the base through again and soak more in.
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
I usually apply wax indoors where its warmer, leave it in a warm room overnight, then scrape the next day in the garage.

And don't forget the golden rules:

Applying wax requires a civilised drink, a martini, or a g&t, or somesuch delight.

Scraping is energetic work so cold beer is the required accompaniement Toofy Grin

SpyderJon left that bit out of his course! I’ve been doing it wrong it appears Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

What no one has ever been able to tell me though, is why if Im doing two coats, do I scrape off the excess wax from the first coat to then apply more new wax. In my head why can't I just reheat the excess wax and warm the base through again and soak more in.

To clean out dirt in your bases.
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

To clean out dirt in your bases.

Wouldn't that only be applicable if you hot scrape? Multiple scraping and brushing I thought helped open the structure more to allow deeper penetration of the next layer of wax. It also allows more drinking time.
snow report
Pyremaniac wrote:
... Every 12 runs sounds absurd for anyone except competition racers! I would say every few days, though if I'm lazy I can easily go 10 days without bothering. (Which is not to say that the benefit doesn't exist.)

I re-wax my boards when I feel they need it. It depends a lot on the conditions, but in cold deep winter BC at a resort it's usually about 3 days for a high quality base to need more wax. If people don't need it, I shan't be telling them they're wrong, but that's one reason I'm faster.

12 runs... well heli operators wax boards/ skis every day, and in the depths of winter you may be hitting around 12 runs a day. I think it would be unwise to assume they're wasting time and money there.
snow report
Quote:

12 runs... well heli operators wax boards/ skis every day, and in the depths of winter you may be hitting around 12 runs a day. I think it would be unwise to assume they're wasting time and money there.

They're certainly not wasting money, they're investing it. Heli operators predominantly serve clients who are prepared to shell out big bucks for the experience, and the heli operators want them to come back. They'd be daft not to provide a gold star ski waxing service.
latest report
Quite right, I shall wax when I see fit, your mileage may vary, but no need to call others waxing schedules absurd.
snow report
@endoman, yes but if you're waxing them twice then that's what you're doing.
ski holidays
Quote:
'Meet the Team
Charlie Baron

Juice caught Charlie's attention through his love for technology, skiing and brands. Charlie front's the marketing efforts, looking to expand the brand globally.
Charlie is hoping to get over 100kmph on Ski's in the upcoming season with Juice's help!!'

Oh dear

I don't know which is worse. Charlie being in charge of marketing or that apostrophe abuse. Laughing
snow conditions
There wuz me thinking that waxing just mitigated razor rash to us poor sensitive cheeked blokes rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy