Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How expensive are the shops in Lech?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Lech for Christmas, I need to buy Ski Boots for my son. I would prefer to buy in resort however after seeing the rental prices I am somewhat concerned that the sale price would also be extortionate.
Just how expensive are the shops? Any chance of a discounted last years model? Can anyone recommend a good shop.
I would appreciate any assistance with the above
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very, very expensive. Strolz do a good fitting service
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a boot shop there as I recall... Strollerzs or something it's called...

quite affordable wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not buy in the UK before you go - if you live near a decent shop? But do it very soon so there's a chance to go back if a bit of clomping around the road in the boots suggests problems. IME problematical ski boots are more problematical clomping about than they are on skis. (All the experts will jump on that and say you can only tell when you ski, but most people, most of the time, get on perfickly well without faffing endlessly about their boots and blaming them for holes in their technique wink ). Granted, you could go back to the shop in resort if you have problems in resort (as everybody always argues) but only for the week you're there - and how much of your holiday time to do you want to spend in a ski boot shop, given that it's likely to take a couple of hours even if no adjustment is necessary?

If your lad has uncomplicated feet and has worn ski boots before (so he knows what they feel like) I'd get him sorted out beforehand for less dosh rather than complicate the beginning of your holiday.

For most of us, comfort is the single most important quality needed in a ski boot. They need to be a snug fit, not slopping around - which might feel a bit tight at first - but there's nothing worse than boots which are too tight and rubbing. One of my sons, a good skier (spent days out with his top-qualified ski-instructor flat mate and colleagues when he did a season in Val d'Isere though he did say they made him feel like a beginner) jumps into boots borrowed from his uncle, and any old pair of skis which comes to hand, and skis like a God. Compared to most of us. And as I ski in a small French resort I often ride a lift with French skiers with ancient rear entry boots and narrow skis - or rental gear - who jump off and ski away like Gods. One, in rear entry boots and long narrow skis, lapped me at warp speed as I picked my way gingerly down a long black run covered in bumps. Many Snowheads would have scoffed at his gear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above - I'd go in the UK, to a decent bootfitter. Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester would be my first choice but I don't know if that's close to you
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Son returns from Uni on Sunday and we travel Tuesday so very short of time. Captains Cabin Canterbury is the closest shop but i do no know how good they are
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blueskix, buy in UK. I paid around €600 from memory for my Strolz boots 10 years ago. Great boots and only gave up the ghost this year. Would highly recommend the custom made Strolz boots if you are happy forking out around €750 or so (or whatever they cost). Please note if you did go down that route you’d need to factor in 2/3 days of not having ski boots. Appt needed for sizing, shell put together overnight and then foam injection next day. They also advise not to use them first 24 hours after foam injection. Enjoy Lech - awesome
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But presumably Strolz isn't the only show in town? Ordinary off the shelf jobs available too?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, pretty much but even standard branded boots will cost more than in UK.
More choice of bootfitters in St Anton
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, the other shops aren't much cheaper, it's not the place I'd be looking for deals!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once bought a pair of boots in St Anton as, before the exchange rate became unfavourable, they were competitively priced. Jennewien in St Anton is a great shop but they tend not to hang onto old stock and bargains are few and far between.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Captains cabin 😂😂😂not great in fact bad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@blueskix, Drive around to Jennewein in St Anton and ask for Geoff, don't pay Lech prices.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
@blueskix, Drive around to Jennewein in St Anton and ask for Geoff, don't pay Lech prices.

...or Roland.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
But presumably Strolz isn't the only show in town? Ordinary off the shelf jobs available too?
Weren’t Strolz implicated in some sort of monopoly price fixing scandal in Lech not too long ago? Or am I imagining that?!
snow conditions
blueskix wrote:

Just how expensive are the shops?

Lovely shops, lovely prices...no bargains to be had, everything was premium prices.

Eating on the hill was OK though.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:

+1
latest report
A lot of Lech-drama here. Unsurprising.
1. There are not that much shops in Lech (might come as a surprise)
2. Yes, there is Strolz. Which is a very large shop for a skiresort (4 floors), compensating for the lack of other shops. They do not only sell skiboots, far from it. Apart from this mainstore, Strolz has several smaller shops in Lech and Zürs, mostly focused on rental.
3. Strolz sells the famous Strolz boots, which come at approx. 900 euro, but Strolz sells other brands too. At normal prices.
4. There are some other smaller rental shops that also sell stuff. E.g. Sportalp, Pfefferkorn. Again, mostly normal prices when buying.
5. Whilst it is a bit true that Lech=Strolz=Lech, the recent kartel-thing was in....St.Anton Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

If you want good deals, don't buy in Lech or St.Anton (as if St.Anton was cheap ever)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 18-12-17 20:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just arrived in Lech last night and realised when I was putting my boots on the rack that I'd somehow forgotten the insoles. Down at Strolz this morning for their 9am opening and left with Sidas mounded insoles half an hour later. And €90 lighter! Great shop, just not a place for a bargain.
snow report
@Valkyrie, in fairness Ellis Brigham charge something like £80 or thereabouts for them.
latest report
Lech & cheap cant be in the same sentence.
latest report
Why not email a couple oh shops and ask for some sample pricing and fitting costs?

We bought 'in resort' Saalbach and are very glad we did ad adjustments in the week (mate had weird feet) were free.
ski holidays
I think as a general rule you won't get any kind bargain in most resorts until the end of season sales. I'm sure there will be exceptions but not many as this stage?

IME the stuff is then sold off so cheaply at the end of season that there's nothing left to sell now.

What you will get is an unrivalled opportunity to ensure the fit is perfect. A definite case of 'you pays your money' etc....
snow conditions
"How expensive are the shops in Lech?"

On a flippant note, this question brings to mind the well known saying "If you have to ask then you can't afford it!" Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes daaarling...if you have to ask.....prices are the same as most ski resorts. In Lech you get the quality you pay for and should have a fabulous time. I'll be lounging in Oberlech.
snow conditions
Strolz boots are hand made if your an adult your never need another oair if you take care
snow report
You will probably pay more in resort but then again, as mentioned above, you'll have the chance to dial in the fit with on-snow testing. I did that a few years ago in Serre Che. Bought the boots on the first morning, tweaked fit with heat-molded insoles and was quite happy with the whole process.
snow conditions
Be nice to your son and have him fit in a good pair of boots by people who are real pros. They will serve him well for many years. Strolz sells a broad range of boot brands and models. I wouldn't recommend Strolz boots unless he has a severe foot issue that can only be managed by custom building the boot. They can get him into a pair that are right for him. Yes, you may not get the bargain of a lifetime, but they will make his skiing better and more enjoyable, make him happier, which in turn will make you happier. He can revisit the shop during the week for tweaks to dial in the fit. Amortize the price against years of happy skiing vs. renting boots, and it's the most economical way to go.
Enjoy Lech!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No idea! Years ago we sat in a piste side restaurant for 20 odd mins as the waiting staff walked past and ignored us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy