Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

oh god what have I done!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
@essex, i have never had goggle faffing as I wear a beanie and sunnies...

Just when I thought you weren’t camp enough to ... err...pull it off! You go girl...own the visor-helmet and post up pics on the update Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So coming back to this with my own view.

Lets start with the basic stuff.

Was the helmet comfortable -yes very.

Did i like the visor option - yes, I found it easy, didn't fog up, didn't restrict my already restricted nasal passages as google do. I like the ability to flick the visor up either mid lift of even mid ski if I felt like it.

Did a helmet make me more reckless - I don't think so in anyway.

Other stuff.

It was an extra think to carry/look after but not big deal as I tended to just wear it unless sat in a bar/restaurant.

Folks often comment about how many times they get hit by safety bars on chair lifts, skis, ski poles etc. I can honestly say that I don't ever recall having my beanie bonced head ever hit by any of those in the preceding 20 years of skiing. Yet I was constantly clonking the bar on my helmet ensconced head. So my view on this is that it's the helmet that is the issues. This could be down to not being used to the increased volume of said head/helmet, it could be restricted peripheral vision or a bit of both.

There was a bit of reduced peripheral vision, but I would guess little difference to just wearing a pair of goggles on their own.

In short, I would quite happily continue to wear the helmet visor combo, whilst I don't feel that I actually need to. I'd go slightly further to say I can't see any reason for not wearing one.

It leaves me a little confused.

I don't see based on my experience of 20 years or so of skiing that it is needed, but having spent a few days with one I can't find a real reason not to wear one so will probably continue, but would I ski without one, yes quite happily, if only to stop being bashed by chairlift safety bars.

Sorry if that's not a conclusive position for those who evangelise helmets and those who don't.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I picked up a CEBE Fireball for £90 on amazon that came with 2x visors.
I actually got one because it gave me more peripheral vision than my goggles did! + I could never find a goggle/helmet combination that was comfortable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
After using my visored helmet for a week in Are, here are my thoughts.

I was worried that my helmet would be too hot, and yes I did sweat in it, but as we were skiing in up to -16C I was glad I had it.

It was easy to flip up one handed either on the piste or on the chairlift.

it wasn't too tight on my nasal passages as most googles are (for me). I have found that the Oakley Crowbar goggles work well for me even though they are still a bit snug below the bridge of my nose, but these cost more than my new integrated helmet.

The peripheral vision was better (in my opinion) than goggles, a wider field of view.

Problems I had; - the visor was only cat 2-3, and as it was very flat light on most days in Are then it wasn't as good as it could be and I found myself lifting the lens to see the snow better.

When the lens was up, due to low light conditions, it was resting above the vents, and they fogged up, and while they were easy to clear again, I think this is a design fault.

The makers sell a cat 1-3 lens and I think I'll be buying one in Les Gets (£80) which will remove both of these problems.

Overall, there is not a massive difference in using an integrated helmet and wearing separate goggles and helmet, but there are marginal benefits, so I'll keep wearing mine.

I'm off to Les Gets next week, so will give a further update after using it there in (hopefully) different conditions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reasons not to:

1) £££££ - not a good enough in it's own right. But if you are not sure why you need something or whether you need it - then the money argument wins. A secondary here is could the money be better spent elsewhere - are there other safety related items more worthy of the money. As a random example winter tyres or better insurance.

2) Experience and evidence - if you have skied for 20 years and not been concussed or worse, why can't you do another 20/40? If you bought a helmet after many years skiing and then find it saves your bonce on a regular basis - under whatever circumstances. What does that tell you.

TBH, I think I would be in the same boat as yourself. If someone gave me one I'd probably not find a good reason not to wear it. That doesn't make it right wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 3-01-18 15:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quick pic to show the difference between my wife's "most expensive helmet ever" and my cheapo one.

Her's have a much wide field of vision (in my view).

She bought her's last year, after 40 years of not wearing a helmet, partly due to peer pressure, but also after a friend was wiped out on the slopes and lost her memory for six months.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Experience and evidence - if you have skied for 20 years and not been concussed or worse, why can't you do another 20/40?

quite possibly you can. or you might not. If it's a rare but potentially calamitous event then your personal experience may not be a useful sample. Just saying.

FWIW I wear one but I don't think people are foolish for not wearing them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sack the Juggler, that's your mrs? I'd spend the money protecting that pretty face too. Very Happy

I expect some people here have wives who look like they've already crashed head first into a few too many trees so the helmet doesn't seem so vital Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dp wrote:
@Sack the Juggler, I expect some people here have wives who look like they've already crashed head first into a few too many trees so the helmet doesn't seem so vital Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Not to mention husbands... Are there stats for the extent of helmet wearing by the different sexes?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
motyl wrote:
dp wrote:
@Sack the Juggler, I expect some people here have wives who look like they've already crashed head first into a few too many trees so the helmet doesn't seem so vital Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Not to mention husbands... Are there stats for the extent of helmet wearing by the different sexes?
its a great question, I'd love to see the stats on who wears helmets and who doesn't by country, age, sex, etc.

In Sweden I's say that over 95% wear helmets based on queue counts my and my wife did in Are. Not scientific, but most of those who didn't wear helmets, the majority (90%) were men.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Not scientific, but most of those who didn't wear helmets, the majority (90%) were men.

There are so many possible inferences! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Reasons not to:

1) £££££ - not a good enough in it's own right. But if you are not sure why you need something or whether you need it - then the money argument wins. A secondary here is could the money be better spent elsewhere - are there other safety related items more worthy of the money. As a random example winter tyres or better insurance.

My goggles cost me £80 & helmet £50
My Visor Helmet £90
Missus now has my goggles & I cant even give my helmet away due to it having a peak at the front!
Cost does not win.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
Layne wrote:
Reasons not to:

My goggles cost me £80 & helmet £50
My Visor Helmet £90
Missus now has my goggles & I cant even give my helmet away due to it having a peak at the front!
Cost does not win.

My helmet with visor cost £69, less than a decent lunch on the mountain for 3 people.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy