Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Calais to La Plagne/Les Arcs - avoidance of tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I suppose I just have to get my head around it and pay the tolls and drive straight to the slopes. I have to say that we drove to Brittany in the summer and you can’t grumble about the French roads. I much prefer them to the English motorways! There doesn’t seem to be the mad racing drivers, tailgaters, undertakers and queues that we get here in England.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's that main chunk of the journey from north french coast to the alps that makes it difficult to avoid. As others have posted, ways round it usually incur some other costs of time, fuel etc. Just different ways of cutting the same problem.

Some friends took their T5 camper two seasons ago with us to Ste Foy ( just a little further on from LP) then last year took flights plus car hire to get a comparison (family of 4) but by far preferred the driven trip mainly as you can just please yourself schedule wise.
They're going back to T5 this year.

I feel it's a nice adventure driving, doesn't suit everyone but for some it's the best way to go. Hope you have a good holiday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just beware one thing...there are speed cameras a plenty on the RN roads now. Also unlike the UK there are less visual clues or repeat signs for the speed limit. Far too easy to build up speed on an open stretch and get a flash.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And be aware that if you drive into anywhere with a name - regardless of how small and deserted and shuttered up it is - the speed limit is 50kph - and there will not always be any signs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I discovered that one day - the resulting fine, exacted by a French policeman sitting eating his sandwiches in the great empty expanse of what had once been a very small village, as I hurtled through at all of 42 mph, more than cancelled out the savings on tolls. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CaravanSkier, with a camper van, fuel consumption can be much higher at autoroute speeds. I actually get better mpg from my van in moving urban traffic than I do at 60mph on A roads.
Check vehicle class, I found that the tolls for my 3 tonne L1H1 Ducato combi van will be 50% higher than a car for our trip in March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy