Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach with a timid 3rd weeker

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Heading to Alpbach for a long weekend with my Fiance on Thursday and have a few logistical queries.

My Fiance has been skiing 3 times before but with limited success, this is my last chance saloon to convert her to the wonders of snow holidays.

I've taken her to Arinsal (which she enjoyed), Les Houches and Hakuba (the later 2 were challenging), but she seem's to be getting more and more frightened and seems to be going backwards. Hence I'm hoping that the pretty alpine village and beginner friendly slopes may help to restore some confidence.

First question - which lift in the morning should we take to provide her with gentle confidence building blues, but also where I can get easier access to some steeper pistes?

Should I rent skis at Alpbach or Inner Alpbach? Any recommendations?

Also planning on taking an afternoon off to go for a drive to sample some authentic Austrian charm, is there any village or town within 50kms that would fit the bill? Is Kufstein worthy of a visit?

I've been posting here as debtors#2 for years but moved jobs recently and lost all passwords and email access, hence my first post.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DonardFlump, you don't mention lessons - is she planning on having any? In my own experience I went backwards and got very nervous when I didn't have lessons (well after 3 weeks skiing) and a pretty alpine village wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to how much enjoyment I was getting if I was struggling. Beginner friendly slopes are all well and good (and she isn't a beginner) but does she not want to improve to ski better so she can explore more of the mountain? What is she going to do when you are off on your steeper pistes?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - she will be in a private lesson in the afternoon, so I'll be teaching in the mornings. Due to it being a short 3 day trip she can't join ski school, but I'm hoping the one on one teaching will be of benefit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DonardFlump, ah - it's sure to ( well I hope so, worked for me)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to the top from either Alpbach or Inneralpbach and head for piste no 62 (Mulden-abfahrt) or even eaisier the little button tow on the top (can't remember the name). In my experience the blues on the other side keep crossing reds and blacks and can be carnage particularly on a busy weekend. Many times it is easier to head for Auffach from Inneralpbach and ski the relatively easy reds there.
Wherever you go it is likely to be very busy which could be counter productive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DonardFlump, I haven't skied (or taught) in Alpbach so I can't answer your questions about lifts and pistes. I work in Zillertal, however, the ski school and ski hire that I work for also have a base in Alpbach. The company is called SkiCheck https://www.skialpbach.com/en/
Rattenberg is not far away http://www.rattenberg.at/en/partner/89/praesentation/rattenberg It's pretty, is famous for glass art and has a nice cake shop. http://www.cafehacker.at/ It's not big though - including time for coffee and cake you will probably have seen everything in an hour.
I find Kufstein a bit of a strange place to visit. There are nice areas to visit but it seems a bit disjointed to me. If I was looking for a nice afternoon of strolling around shops and sightseeing I would go to Innsbruck and visit the old town. (It's about 55kms from Alpbach to Innsbruck and about 40kms from Alpbach to Kufstein)
I hope that helps!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations, very helpful Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DonardFlump wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations, very helpful Very Happy

don't teach your GF. Best start with the pro lessons in the morning (so she is not tired) and then easy skiing and consolidate what she learned in the afternoon. If you teach her in the morning, then most probably the instructor would have to undo your 'job' first before actually teaching her. Waste of time and money, possibly confused and fuming GF - why spoil your holidays? Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy