Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are in Sweden. Anybody been there?

Poster: A snowHead
Well the last couple of days it's been very slippy. But we kinda just wear walking boots when we are not skiing. Around here is always well grited but it was wet for a day and then refroze so that made it difficult to walk around. We have been down to the town a couple of times but as we have half board it's not something we have to do..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sack the Juggler wrote:
@Jools 837, I'm wondering what kind of boots to bring with me for walking around town in,

Open air sandals.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jools 837, I got that off the instagram feed from Årelavincenter.

Also check here www.smhi.se/vadret/vadret-i-sverige/ortsprognoser/q/Åreskutan/Åre/2725406#tab=0,chart=1

@Sack the Juggler, take grippy boots. Those rubber stud/cleat things that go on the bottom of your boots are not a bad idea.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Powder, powder
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cool, cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last day skiing and because of wind we are never going to get to the top this holiday. Yesterday there was a lot of snow on the slopes but by mid afternoon that had built into large lumps with ice in-between. This of course didn't seem to bother most skiers out here but I found it fairly exhausting(I really need to lose some weight).
In fact that's one of the impressions that I have of this place is that I've seen very few beginners or nervous intermeadiates. I'm sure over at Bjornen there is some learners but where we are everybody seems totally on it.
The place has quite a few drag lifts and they close the chairs coz of the wind quite often and then that makes the resort a little limited. We never found long cruisey blues for my wife and she has decided that she's had enough so won't be out for this last day.
Would I come here again, yes, but mid to late march as at the moment it's a bit harsh. The people are lovely and the food is great as I said before and it's very charming. This area and I'm only speaking really about the area above the town is for confident/advanced intermeadiates. IMO anybody outside this group, either better or worse, it ain't for them.
Would my wife come here again, no. She loved the food, the hotel, the dog sledding. But as for the skiing she didn't like it and announced she was not going skiing again (she's said that before).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd agree @Jools 837. The central åre area is for keen/advanced intermediates. There any not many cruisy blues, with the best ones being the ones in Rodkullen and a couple in Bjornen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only really the vm6 open today.
Snow being blown horizontal in the squalls.
Inside at the moment hoping it will improve so that's why I'm on here rather than skiing..
Might go out in a bit but not much enthusiasm from the rest of the party..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just in a car with friends heading up to Are from the airport (arlanda), but our house won't be free until tomorrow so we will stay in Ostersund (excuse the spelling) tonight.

I'm going to take it easy this week as I've got a few skiing trips coming up in the new few weeks, so I'll just concentrate on form rather than throwing myself down every slope
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 23-12-17 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did get out today, as it calmed down a bit. But skiing at the top of the Tott lift was like skiing on a Crème brûlée. Crust then soft underneath.
Slight queue at the VM6 as it was the only chair open. Any way I'm done for this week and good luck to sackthejuggler for this coming week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jools 837, it’s a shame the conditions were challenging. But as we’ve seen in recent years, anywhere is a gamble at Christmas if you want to pre-book. I think it’s rare for the high zone to be open pre-Christmas.

@Sack the Juggler, keep the reports coming!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No wind today, most lifts open, had a fantastic day skiing, merry Christmas everyone

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed they open the high zone lifts. If you see them running, get to the top of the VM8 asap
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They had closed a few runs over by redkullen, not pisted and maybe 3 or 4 foot of snow that was a bit churned up and we made the mistake of finding ourselves on one of them before we realised it was closed.

It was snowing and getting dark as we came down and the light was flat as a pancake so it made for some interesting skiing 😳

Made it back down and across to VM8 but we decided to hit the after ski and save ourselves for the rest of the trip snowHead
snow report
Reindeer! They are often to be seen in the Tegefjall area first thing, then in the woods of the sides of pistes 18 and 13 (Vildmarksstigen) for a bit after, then if they haven't cleared off altogether, you sometimes come across them in the forest between 11 and 12. You need to be morning people though. They have usually buggerred off by lunchtime/early afternoon. Great to see them about though. Most we have seen was about 30 together, but usually seen 4 or 5 together. Never seen any lone reindeer.
snow conditions
@thecramps, we had a lone one in Duved last year. Every morning it would trot past the house.
snow conditions
Hi all,

Yesterday the wind got up and they started closing lifts and slopes early so we called it a day after an hour or so.

As our house is at the bottom ofVM8 we decided to ski down it even though they had closed it because it was too icy?????

Had a party at our house instead snowHead
latest report
Today VM8was closed from the off so we went skiing over on Sadeln, and it was fantastic!

The slopes were a mix of ice or drifts so the whole mountain blurred into one giant on and off piste run, it was fantastic.

As the sun was setting we decided to head back over to VM8 which had been closed all day and was buried in drifts, so we just made our own tracks down to the house, and now we are just heading out to after ski
ski holidays
Here's some pictures

ski holidays
Update, we are just heading over to afterski and we can see they have now opened VM8 under the flood lights snowHead
latest report
Nice to see some sun up there. Unfortunately that never appeared last week...
snow conditions
Jools 837 wrote:
it only came out around 1:30pm and it was so fantastic we had to take some photos, it changes the whole mountain. I think that is the sun for the whole week
latest report
Jools 837 wrote:
it only came out around 1:30pm and it was so fantastic we had to take some photos, it changes the whole mountain. I think that is the sun for the whole week
snow report
@Sack the Juggler, Your not in one of the houses on Lienbacken are you? we stayed there a year or two ago
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler wrote:

As our house is at the bottom ofVM8 we decided to ski down it even though they had closed it because it was too icy?????

The piste is probably ok, but the lifts are vulnerable to icing. They put signs out to close the piste so no one skis down expecting to get the VM8 back up. It’s the key lift linking the east and west areas. Ski bus is always possible though.
snow report
thecramps wrote:
@Sack the Juggler, Your not in one of the houses on Lienbacken are you? we stayed there a year or two ago
we are right next to VM8 almost ski in ski out (when the lift is open Laughing )

snow report
Lovely day skiing today, the VM8 was open this morning so we took it up then worked our way across the slopes all the way over to Bjornen, then back again.

Some excellent snow with only a few patches of ice. Only downside was the light as it was snowing and overcast so it was difficult to see the line sometimes.

My visor is supposed to be photochromic but it struggles in low light, so I'll get a new one when I'm in Les Gets next month.

Came back over to Åre by and had lunch at Fjellgarden, then we worked our way back to VM8 which was closed again, but it had fantastic snow all the way down.

My thighs are burning now so going to take a quick sauna then head out for an afterski party with a company called "state of elevenate", which Is a clothing company i believe but I've never heard of it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are over in Ulladalen today, nice cruisey blues, nothing to difficult, small queues, spent a couple of hours here and while the skiing and the snow is excellent, there is not a great deal of options, so just focussing on improving my technique.

We drove over but conditions were not brilliant on the road and I was glad our friend was driving as he is used to it. I guess there must be a ski bus that comes out here but I haven't seen it yet
snow report
Last day skiing and this is the sight that greeted us this morning at the VM8, queues an hour deep, after having little or no queues all week

ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler, Sad
latest report
Ok, I exaggerated it was only 20 minutes of shuffling forward, but as we got the the chair, they announced that the Gondolen to the top was open and we gave a cheer!

Another big queue but it was worth it for the views alone, although the skiing down from the top was amazing.

Mrs Sacko wanted to climb to the summit as we did a few years ago, but the sweat from that climb still gives me nightmares so I talked her out of it.

The run back to the Gondolen used to be a black run about 5 years ago, but it's a red now, it doesn't seem to have changed much other than it not being icy this time.

It's a great run though and the snow was excellent. Definitely worth another queue back up to the top.

Currently in the bar I mentioned previously, no Kilkenny though, but trying the smokey mountain... it's ok, but a bit too gassy.

Will post some pictures tonight
ski holidays
Longest queue I’ve seen for the VM8! But understandable if the gondola is open. Looking forward to the photos!
ski holidays
Had a great last day skiing, finished off with the black run back into Åre as it was getting dark with a mist sitting over the lake and temperatures of -16c but no wind

For some reason not all my pictures downloaded so I'll just post these for now, but they cannot convey the beauty of the top of Åre and the stunning views across to Norway

snow report
Looks like an amazing day. I love the feeling of being at the top of a Scandinavian mountain on a clear day. So different from the alps, but equally lovely IMO as you feel like you are on top of the world.
snow report
@Sack the Juggler, great photos. @Themasterpiece, I agree. Great looking down over a frozen lake.
ski holidays
We agree too. We like the view from the top at Tegefjall as well. We love Åre.

Thanks for the photos @Sack the Juggler, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Themasterpiece, Where is your new apartment? We are thinking of getting one in central Are, but our friends have just bought one up in Sadeln, which is amazing, there seems to be lots over in Tegefjell, but not sure how easy it is to get over to Are from there (if we come by train).
latest report
Carrying on from where @Sack the Juggler left off. Popped up to Åre for the weekend and was very happy I did Smile

On Friday I joined a group lead by Åreguiderna for a short (beginner) morning tour from the lift system. The high zone lifts weren’t open (too windy) so we started from the top of Hummelliften (Å32) up to the bottom of Tusenmeter lift (sadly gone now), and across to the East Ravine (Östraravin). Ski down into the ravine to the sluce, and pop out at Fjällgården. Tour up was beginner level, but ski down was in the advanced range IMO.

Entrance to Östraravin
snow report
Today there was less wind and the Kabinbana and Gondola were open to the high zone. Mix of clouds coming in and out, but a beautiful day none the less. Saw a few people hiking or skinning to the top, and a number of groups heading offpiste to the backside, and down into the ravines.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy