Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski shell trousers and warmth

Poster: A snowHead
I have a very nice pair of North Face Ravine trousers that are unused and unworn due to being replaced by North Face and the last two years, I've been skiing in Arcteryx shell trousers with a compression legging underneath. I've been skiing March and Easter and no issues at all with the cold though I haven't had a cold day to worry about. For the first time in a long time (18 years) I'm skiing mid January and wondering whether I'd get away with chucking a pair of merino leggings over the compression tights and selling the North Face trousers or whether I hang on to the Ravine trousers. I'm not someone who is oblivious to the cold and dont go out in a t-shirt and shell jacket whatever the weather.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find one pair of leggings (I usually wear 3/4 S and R synthetics or a 3/4 icebreaker) and Arcteryx shell trousers to be good down to about minus 20. Below minus 20 starts getting a little chilly. In that context keeping the core warm and keeping extremities warm is more important from a comfort perspective than keeping the legs warm. I'd say I am average in terms of feeling the cold.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't have thought that compression leggings would trap much air, try just wearing merino ones.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dan100, Arc’teryx used to do an excellent Phase SV 3/4 mid layer that worked perfectly with a compression layer and ski boots under a shell. But like most manufacturers, whenever they have a successful item they drop it from the range.

It depends where you are going in January, as it could be -1C or it could be -20C.

Btw: I’ve never understood the position “I might not use something useful immediately, therefore I’ll sell it”, but maybe I’m boarderline hoarder Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied in shell trouser plus marino ice breaker base in -15 plus wind chill in Nov. Was fine for me but then it’s my core that makes the difference for me really.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gorilla wrote:
In that context keeping the core warm and keeping extremities warm is more important from a comfort perspective than keeping the legs warm. I'd say I am average in terms of feeling the cold.

Keeping your legs warm helps keep you warm in general, you lose a lot of heat from your legs, so will help keep your extremities warmer!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dan100, Just replace the compression leggings (which are quite cold) with a pair of decent thermal leggings and you'll be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
@dan100, Arc’teryx used to do an excellent Phase SV 3/4 mid layer that worked perfectly with a compression layer and ski boots under a shell. But like most manufacturers, whenever they have a successful item they drop it from the range.

It depends where you are going in January, as it could be -1C or it could be -20C.

Btw: I’ve never understood the position “I might not use something useful immediately, therefore I’ll sell it”, but maybe I’m boarderline hoarder Toofy Grin

Trying to justify the Arcteryx shell jacket I bought myself and say it was subsidised
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and cut the bottom of your leggings or get 3/4 length ones so your socks and boots will fit! I have some merino 3/4;s from Sport PUrsuit, they are fine under my Arcteryx bottoms on colder days. On warmer days ( -5 and above) I don't bother.

There's the Arcteryx Axino if you want to splash out
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Keeping your legs warm helps keep you warm in general, you lose a lot of heat from your legs, so will help keep your extremities warmer!

Interesting. I tend to find that if I can keep my core warm then I am pretty much fine with much less on my legs. I have a pair of synthetic quilted trousers for very cold days, which I have used about twice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dan100, chucking merino leggings over the compression ones is a good plan, has worked for me several times. Don't ditch the compression layer though as merino leggings have very little compression IME.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@galpinos, I find the same as you've said, if I want to ensure I don't drop too much core temp when out in really cold I use extra leg insulation.

I think my legs drive my core temp up when using them well. I've sat on a lift before with too little and may legs steaming the falling snow as it landed on my legs. It was that which made me twig I was loosing too much there.

Also find compression doesn't seem to allow good flow if legs are static, for example on a long slow chair or even trying to get warmer inside. I can see the science attributed to using them but feel it's only relevant if you are using the muscles they are covering.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like lycra shorts (thigh length) as a first layer, then Polartec Powerstretch tights as a 2nd layer. My inner boots have laces so I pull the full length Powerstretch tights down over my inner boots, then put them inside my boot shells.

Goretex shells then go on over everything as a final layer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i wear Haglofs shells over merino leggings and if it's really cold I have Arcteryx knickerbockers, which are very comfortable.

I find compression tights and shirts very cold.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gorilla, I donàt run particularly hot but quilted trousers would have me way too warm!

Most of the time I have "200" weight fleece leggings and my shell. They are probably down to 150 weight now hahah. I have some very thin leggings I add if it's really cold e.g. sub -10C ambient.
snow report
@under a new name, it needs to be at least minus 20 or I need to be standing around a lot.
ski holidays
I use Icebreaker 3/4 leggings for slightly cold days and then when it is -10 or lower, add a pair of these picked up in the sales

http://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/mens-pants/barrier-knee-pant-men/p/6037222C5020.html

Bit like the Arc ones above but were rather cheaper!
snow report
mostly I just wear merino 3/4 tights under shells. If it's really cold (handful of days a season) I wear fleece tights instead or as well. I just use some roubaix unpadded cycling tights cut off at mid calf. Toasty.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy