Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

poping between turns skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@billb, It's just not necessary. See here,
http://youtube.com/v/9M2kC4GLK7g turn initiation isn't by upper body movement.

"modern" = optimised for shaped/carver skis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Fartbag, “Flex to release” - have you skied with Andi McCann?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@Old Fartbag, “Flex to release” - have you skied with Andi McCann?

No. I've just heard the expression somewhere...it might have even been Harold Harb.....though I seem to remember Andi writing for SCGB in the instructional section.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Old Fartbag, thanks for the video clip - quite informative. @under a new name, I'll never look like a racer Toofy Grin. A problem with being an old git doing one or two weeks a year and having had very few lessons is that old habits die hard.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
billb wrote:
A problem with being an old git doing one or two weeks a year and having had very few lessons is that old habits die hard.

Even with lessons, old habits die hard! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@billb, a level of efficiency to aspire to?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, it's almost the exact opposite of what was learned back in the day. There was the term " down unweighting" then, modern technique is maybe a little closer to that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, indeed!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/CQlatm6yAzQ
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
endoman wrote:
Yep, it's almost the exact opposite of what was learned back in the day. There was the term " down unweighting" then, modern technique is maybe a little closer to that.

... which just means that what they teach novices over time changes. I don't remember people "popping" around much in the real world, once they'd actually learned how to ski...

If you think of those things as drills, then they'd still work, although perhaps with modern gear it's less useful. That said, the "park stance" people would probably benefit from a few hours of papism.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you pop up to initiate a turn you are moving away from the ski rather than balancing on it. If the ski is not weighted because you are not balanced on it it isn't going to turn effectively using that lovely sidecut the ski designers so kindly gave us, so the only way you can make it turn is by twisting / skidding it. That's fine for some situations, but you don't want it to be your default movement pattern for all situations.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am not into skiing very long time, here s my understanding of skiing, at the end of each turn you unweight yourself into next turn, to achieve this, you either extend your body to get a little pop( ski still touch snow), or bend your knees to absorb the pressure.
i find it s more easy to unweight by extending my body. my skis are 21 m turning radius, dont dont dont makes a difference?

i ask in the beginning because i dont know if it s a bad habit that i shouldnt still keep on doing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kekekuan, IMHO. If you can do both ways, then that’s very good. Don’t worry about it, go with whichever way feels better/faster/solid for you. Enjoy! snowHead

Posting a video of your skiing will help the pros on here to spot any bad habits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a rare thing - a snowheads thread that starts badly with the inevitable, and rather amusing, but ultimately unhelpful comments, which turns into an interesting and informative thread.
@kekekuan, well done for hanging in there Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unweighting wasn't a technique for "novices"...

http://youtube.com/v/1G0JL9tuTXc

@kekekuan, what Rob says. Unweighting isn't necessary on modern skis, in most conditions.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Interesting to see just how much technique has changed. Straight skis had such a long turn radius, that unweighting and foot steering were necessary.

That clip shows how I was taught:
- Up unweighting
- Lift unweighted ski up...or at the very least, make sure there was no weight on it
- Angulate the d/hill knee in toward the other....putting you in an A Frame.
- It didn't matter what you did with the uphill ski, as long as there was no weight on it. It was basically an outrigger.

I'm sure this is very familiar to you as well. A different era.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, quite.

My "old" Rossi 9SK slalom have a much longer radius sidecut than my "reasonably current" super G skis. (I measured them...)

I'm not sure I could ski on them any more Shocked
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
If you pop up to initiate a turn you are moving away from the ski rather than balancing on it. If the ski is not weighted because you are not balanced on it it isn't going to turn effectively using that lovely sidecut the ski designers so kindly gave us, so the only way you can make it turn is by twisting / skidding it. That's fine for some situations, but you don't want it to be your default movement pattern for all situations.

Exactly - a tool to be used when you need/want to turn more quickly/in less space than the sidecut allows
snow report
under a new name wrote:

My "old" Rossi 9SK slalom have a much longer radius sidecut than my "reasonably current" super G skis. (I measured them...)

I'm not sure I could ski on them any more Shocked

(Old Git comment alert)....anyone who learned on carving skis, don't know they're born.....which is what people who used leather boots and old wooden skis, said about us, with our double torsion box construction, metal edges and front entry, clip boots....and our ski lifts!
snow report
@Old Fartbag, my first boots were leather, with laces, my first skis (110 cms) were wooden (Fischer Blue Master) with cable bindings...
ski holidays
kekekuan wrote:
I am not into skiing very long time, here s my understanding of skiing, at the end of each turn you unweight yourself into next turn, to achieve this, you either extend your body to get a little pop( ski still touch snow), or bend your knees to absorb the pressure.
i find it s more easy to unweight by extending my body. my skis are 21 m turning radius, dont dont dont makes a difference?

i ask in the beginning because i dont know if it s a bad habit that i shouldnt still keep on doing.

Once you end up relying on an upward, unweighting motion, it will actually impede your progress...and can become a habit that is quite hard to break.

A good start, would be watching the Darren Turner videos on Youtube, who takes you through the progression from beginner, without unweighting. You also need to find an instructor (anyone from BASI), who will teach you modern technique.
snow report
kekekuan wrote:

In "normal" skiing down a piste, you don't need to extend your body or bend your knees to initiate a turn. This is a bad habit. You do need to change which ski has more weight (pressure) on it through the turn, but thinking of popping to unweight will not help.

Do you have any videos of you skiing? What kind of turns are you doing at the moment? Parallel, snow plough or a mixture?
latest report
billb wrote:
I must confess my ignorance Embarassed How are you supposed to unweight into a turn without "raising" your upper body and then pushing down as you come out of the turn? Am I years out of date?

Stand up.
Keep your upper body totally still, imagine you are in a room with a low ceiling and your head is already touching the ceiling and then lift your left leg.
Put left leg down, lift right leg.

Did you have to jump up or un weight by raising your body to do that?

If not how did you do it?
snow report
It can't be just me that read the thread title as 'pooping'... can it?? Shocked
snow report
HandyHand wrote:

That only happens in Couloirs!
snow report
Quote:

I used to 'pop' my board between short turns, particularly when I was moving through a crowded piste.

I stopped when another boarder told me, with the scorn that only a teenager can manage, that I rode 'like a skier'.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@kitenski, I bent my legs at the knee.
snow report
HandyHand wrote:
nope.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure that the cough medicine will do much for your skiing ....

Quote:

poping
Drinking large amounts of Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide (DXM)based cough syrup, and then embarking on an adventure while wandering around neighborhoods or parks all night. This is usually done while listening to Punk rock music from a portable jambox.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poping
snow conditions
the pop happens when feet are in front of your hips when doing figure 8 with your hips. Look at the video 4:35 sec
http://youtube.com/v/1k4c87HEOAQ. You need to load the ski through the turn by shifting your weight longitudinally across the skis from forward when entering the turn to backward at the end of the turn. At that point your feet are in front of your hip and the skis pop you into the next turn and while in air you shift your weight forward. You won't get in the back seat because you engage your core muscles when you feel your boots putting pressure on your calf. Amazing feeling and total control when you develop muscle memory.
latest report
Fancy this popping up again
ski holidays
This is me Poping in the 4 Vallées on the feast of St. Nicholas back in Dec 2019:

You get a free pass for the day if you dress up as St. Nicholas on his feastday.
latest report
Quote:
You get a free pass for the day if you dress up as St. Nicholas on his feastday.
I'd sooner pay full wack! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Old style popping and bobbing.
Carver style rolling knees and ankles sideways onto new edges.
Keeping skis and edges in firm snow contact results in better control.
Although using popping and bobbing off piste/ in deep snow is particularly useful when getting to grips with it.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I'd sooner pay full wack! Toofy Grin
Well, the outfit cost me £24 and a day's skipass is CHF 56 so that's a saving and next December (hopefully) I'll be saving 100%. And you only need the outfit when you buy your ticket, so you can take it off. In the end, I left it on - and the beard is quite comfy if the temperature is low, as it was that day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy