Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Wednesday/Thursday

brian
brian
Still looking good for much dumpage snowHead Not been pushed back on any of today's runs so it's looking like game on.

I'm off to Les Gets, so fingers crossed for the freezing level not to get too high ! Looking like it might creep up to around the 1500m mark Confused

Can't wait to smell the snow snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am keeping everything crossed. I haven't had a pee since Tuesday....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent Smile GFS forecast for Savoie resorts is currently saying approx 60cm over Wednesday, Thursday & Friday - that would be nice!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, Pray give some details of how to access GFS!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC,
http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html?
Enter latitude/longitude for your chosen resort (45.48, 6.91 are coords for Tignes), then continue to next page
Choose 0-180 hour forecast from the Metogram pull down menu
Then enter the password shown on the page, et voila!

Thanks to DGOrf who posted this link earlier in the season.

Another useful link for GFS derived forecasts is http://217.160.75.104/topkarten/fsavneur.html (select "Diagramme" from the leftmost menu bar, then "Europa" from the middle menu bar, then "Genf" and "Ensemble t850" for data from multiple runs of GFS forecasts) This link courtesy of brian.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does it look like trois vallees is going to get any of it???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh wrote:
Does it look like trois vallees is going to get any of it???

No, it's going to stop at Moutiers, double back and then dump a double load on Les Arcs.

Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, Thanks - neat sites Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like this site below for precipitation models 6-7 days out. Current data looks really good for the week of 12-18 Feb 06. Nice and easy to understand too.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/map/vor/euro/n.htm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petel, as far as I know, that site uses the same data (GFS) as the two links I provided above, as does snowforecast.com (although you have to pay to see it beyond 3 days out).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What aout the Tyrol Please?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pete, nice one and its gone straight into my favourites.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
each run seems to be decreasing the amount Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had Snow Alert for Serre Che, it's gone back up again.96cm over the next 7 days !!!!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
This is very bad news for those of us flying out on Sunday. How am I going to practice on my beloved boiler plate, sheet ice and rubble.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Where's your source for that info? And what's it saying for Espace Killy at the moment?
snow report
I've seen estimates up to 50 cms for the Tarentaise Valley
ski holidays
markP, www.metcheck.com , you can ask for an email alert of any snowfall in the next 7 days. No idea about Val despair though.
latest report
Helen, will be interesting to watch and see what happens, snow-forecast has 39cm for SC, spread over the whole week, starting Tues afternoon!
snow report
PG, Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Ah right thanks. MetCheck is automated from the GFS so probably changes quite a bit from run to run.
Good to see something shown though.
ski holidays
Massive upgrade in the ammounts expected by snowforecast.com this morning.
Fingers crossed! They got it wrong for the last big fall of snow back in Januray. (there was actually much more than they had suggested...)
snow conditions
markP, you forgot to mention that the snowline is 3,200 metres Shocked

wink
snow report
Right thats enough snow forecast. Any more and all my fave bits will be closed next week. I will have the snow required, can I have the clear blue skies now please.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, with a bit of luck you could have timed it perfectly... clear blue skies might be asking a bit much though. Lunch in La Thuile?
ski holidays
PG, Oh yes, thats if the pass isn't closed due to avalanche risk Very Happy. With all the snow forecast I doubt you will be venturing from your home domain. If you do decide on a trip out then let me know.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
markP, you forgot to mention that the snowline is 3,200 metres Shocked

wink

I presume the wink means you're joking?
The freezing level is forecast to hover around the 1500m mark. Plenty high enough, although you might get a bit damp in Bourg.
It'll be like a normal day in Manchester... wink
snow report
going to La Thuile myself on Wed night,. Torino on Thursday for some ice hockey then hit the slopes. Man you would not believe the difficulty in getting some accommodation. I finally got a place about 8km from La Thuile in a hostel. oh well looking forward to it now. What are the lower runs in La Thuile like? I'm a bit afraid that there might be too much snow. Are the tree runs good?
ski holidays
GFS forecast for Tarantaise resorts seems to have risen quite dramatically on the last run (up to 80cm over the next week). Fingers crossed!
snow report
Diarmuid, Forecast does say Heavy snoew for Wednesday evening and Thusday morning. If the snow is good then the tree runs are excellent, and quite (as in "just on my limits")steep. For me some of the best stuff is in The San Bernado pass area on the border. Lifts are good up there as well. Is the lack of beds due to the Olympics?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Diarmuid, i agree with Frosty the Snowman, the runs in between La Thuile and La Rosiere are vey nice.

For a gentle crusie home i'd recommend the long red back down to La Thuile on the right hand side of piste map (cant remember it's name/number!). Anyway it should really be a blue but it's a nice way to end the day especially if you are tired by then. Also a couple of cafes to stop at on the way down for a drink....
latest report
Chamonix Meteo are also saying 50cm-80cm (at 1800m) across Wednesday and Thursday, with more snow forecast for the weekend. Freezing level no higher than 1600m.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, with a bit of luck you could have timed it perfectly... clear blue skies might be asking a bit much though. Lunch in La Thuile?
Did we ever establish if the Rascard has changed ownership and quality/value?
snow conditions
CP, Yes. Good news. David said that the owner had been on holiday and had temp staff in. Normal service has been resumed Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Would be even better news if I was planning to go there this year Crying or Very sad However I will be in Villaroger and have my car with me at the end of March, may have to do a day trip snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Diarmuid, Forecast does say Heavy snoew for Wednesday evening and Thusday morning. If the snow is good then the tree runs are excellent, and quite (as in "just on my limits")steep. For me some of the best stuff is in The San Bernado pass area on the border. Lifts are good up there as well. Is the lack of beds due to the Olympics?

sounds good. I was asking about the tree runs as if the visibility is bad the trees might be a good option.

Well I wanted to combine some sno''action and the olympics on the one (long) weekend so I figured it's easier to stay at the resort and drive down on Thursday. Turin for accom is a no go. A few friends are sleeping in their cars there, and they were looking for a place to stay 4 months ago. A totally of topic remark, but the prices for the car park + bus into Turin is crazy. If you are trying to encourage people not to drive into the city why not charge a nominal amount to do that ? Anyways....
snow report
Well Wednesday to Sunday is now looking stonkingly good for The Tarentaise resorts. Very Minimum looks like 0.5m but could easily be double that. The following week looks to be clearing a bit, cool but not freezing. We fly out Sunday and am gutted as I wont be able to go to church and thank him. I would have done so as it is now obvious that he does exist.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy