Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter for £2000?

Poster: A snowHead
2 adults and an 11 year old, that's the accommodation and travel budget ( half board)

Struggling, an I better waiting till much nearer the time or can anyone recommend anything so I can relax!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I'd drive and rent an apartment, using the rest of the £2000 budget (which should be considerable) to go out for meals! Driving costs much the same any time of year and in France Easter is NOT high season so you should be able to get a two-bed apartment for a reasonable price. Any British TOs will hammer you for school holiday travel. The best alternative, if you really want to go with a TO, is to wait till the last minute (ie a week or so beforehand - and be flexible about airport - but that's nerve-wracking)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@up4it, As @pam w, says, drive and rent an apartment. Get a crossing booked now and hold out until just before to book an apartment where the best snow is. We go at Easter every year with our two boys and 16 other friends and always get good quality apartments and usually lift passes included. We drive, lunch out, hire boys skis, have a few evenings out. Door to door, would be well within your £2K budget.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Driving from the midlands all the way though, not sure I could tackle that even in my nice Audi
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@up4it, See if you can secure some cheap flights to Salzburg and rent a small 2 room apartment in a b&b Pension in one of the Ski Amade resorts (via the accommodation search functions on the tourist information websites), train transfer booked 90 days before you travel with OEBB (Austrian train company) to get cheap tickets. Plenty budget there for a week in that area, there'll be plenty snow end March, Easter is early 2018. I reckon you'd get flights from Stansted/ Gatwick/ Luton for £120pp return, train transfers £50pp, apartment £500-600, leaves you £900-1000 for fun/ food and ski passes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We will be driving both Christmas and Easter. The hard bit (and I drive from the Midlands) is getting to the channel after that it is pretty easy. My wife and I share the driving 3 hours on 3 off, but my wife has been known to drive non stop from Bourg en Bresse.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@up4it, i drive it 3 times a year, (Xmas/NY, Easter & Summer) from Edinburgh no problem. we book a premier in at folkstone, half way for us & do it in 2 relatively relaxed days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We go at easter each year. We tend to book in advance but only as we're with another family. There's always good deals if you leave it late and usually good lift pass offers. Peak retreats are a good start. And they will sort out the euro tunnel so no need to pre book that. Ive driven flown and taken eurostar and honestly it's all much of a much-ness. Three hrs to folkestone 9 the other side. It's not as bad as you'd think. At least you can pack the car and go. Ernalow, sunweb and snowtrex all offer some good deals also.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suggest booking flights to Salzburg or Munich. Hiring a car. I used expedia last year and got a good size car for 12 days for £350. We stayed in Altenmart in Ski Amade. Lots of resort's to ski in only 20 minutes drive like Schladming and Flachau all on same skipass.
In fact Kooky is renting her 3 bedroom flat out there this year.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3115611&highlight=kooky#3115611
Have a look and see if it's available. If not then go onto tourist info website or air bnb or booking.com for apartments.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29.... sounds like a plan wink

We have availability in Radstadt over Easter. We also have no peak prices over Easter for all stays.
Kids get free lift passes too!.... (just sayin' Happy )

I wouldn't rely on the tourist board websites as the data is hardly ever live and it is all a bit ropey.
I'd use it to browse for the accommodation but see if it is also available to book elsewhere (that way you know it is available)... I can offer you a long winded reason as to why but it is rather dull!

You can also get a flix bus 'transfer' for €9 per person return from Salzburg station.
You jump on the 2 bus to the main station for €2 from the airport (takes about 20min).
The flix bus service also goes on to Schladming.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
up4it wrote:
Driving from the midlands all the way though, not sure I could tackle that even in my nice Audi

Whyever not? If you were American, 800 miles in a day is a Sunday jaunt. You need only do 400 a day with a nice hotel and meal for stopover. Chances of adverse weather are low at that time of year. I'm sure you have a mobile DVD player/console for the kids - they'll love it.

No baggage limitations, no airport hassle or expense, no interminable wait for the transfer bus, no 3 a.m. call on the way home etc etc etc
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@up4it, @flangesax, is your man, get those flights booked!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Val Desire, driving those distances isn't for everyone, and isn't always straightforward. Yesterday was fairly grim, actually - including 5 hour delay at Eurotunnel and snow and freezing rain on the French motorways - and I drive solo to and from the Alps several times a year (without a nice Audi.....). It's sensible for people who don't relish long drives to look for an alternative - and the one suggested here sounds ideal!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd also recommend self catering and using a self drive TO. At Easter you could look at Flaine with Ski Collection or Val Cenis with Peak Retreats. Both resorts have a good snow record and reasonably priced accommodation options. As a family of 3 you could get away with a 1 bed apt and your 11 yr old using the sofa bed.

The journey is very easy once you are in France. We always stop over en route. Again as a family of 3 rather than 4 you will have cheaper en route hotel options. Eg. Ibis rooms sleep 3 whereas we end up in the more expensive Novotel rooms sleeping 4.

Whats the point of having a nice car if you don't use it for a proper journey every now and again? Toofy Grin

We usually book early and benefit from 10% early booking discounts. I noticed peak retreats currently have some good discounts for w/c 24/3 if you can get away then.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
@Val Desire, driving those distances isn't for everyone, and isn't always straightforward. Yesterday was fairly grim, actually - including 5 hour delay at Eurotunnel and snow and freezing rain on the French motorways - and I drive solo to and from the Alps several times a year (without a nice Audi.....). It's sensible for people who don't relish long drives to look for an alternative - and the one suggested here sounds ideal!

Sounds as though you had a very tricky journey yesterday Pam. However it is rare to have conditions like that at Easter. Had you had a flexi plus ticket it might have been a better experience at the tunnel..although can see that it is only worth purchasing them when you get a discount in an accommodation package.

I think the train can be a good option for those who don't want to drive. Would recommend looking at snowcarbon for more info on the resorts you can get to by train.
snow report
@up4it, if going the TO route wait until much nearer the time. If DIYing and flying, you need to get the flights booked as early as poss and then the accommodation DIYing and self catering will often be the cheapest but not always - booking late at non-peak times can yield great package prices.
latest report
The Spring Family Bash in Val Thorens might work - and there'll be the company of various SnowHeads Toofy Grin

£2,000 would get you room in a nice self-catered apartment in the Hameau du Kashmir, in a very high resort that is great at Easter, with a week's pass each and around £300 toward the cost of driving down.

See the thread in the Events section.
snow report
@up4it, we’ve skied every Easter (apart from this Easter) for the past 10 years. I don’t think we’ve ever paid more than £2k (2 adults and 1 that was a child) all in. We’ve never driven, always flown. Sometimes we’ve gone with a TO other times we’ve DIY’d it.

Given that it is usually possible to find accommodation for a range of prices the key to keeping costs down are the travel costs. Buy cheap flights and somewhere with a cheap transfer option or a reasonable hire car cost and you’re sorted. The other thing we’ve looked for until recently (because Jnr is too old now) is cheap/free child’s lift passes at Easter. We’ve had these in Ski Amade, Saalbach, Serre Chevalier and Les Arcs. I believe they’re also usually available for the Ski Welt at Easter too.

If you decide to drive factor in the cost of winter tyres/snow chains. Worth it just in case.

With regards to resort height. I wouldn’t worry too much. In all those Easters the highest we’ve stayed was Les Arcs. That year happened to be the worst Easter conditions too. Granted it would have been dire that year had we been skiing lower down but we’ve always had great skiing the other years staying much lower.

As for looking out for deals with tour operators, it’s a case of being vigilant. We’ve never left it last minute and usually booked by three weeks before. Sometimes you just stumble across something that is too good to turn down even if it seems a risk. A couple of years ago I booked a Christmas holiday with Crystal about 2 weeks before Christmas and a day later booked our Easter holiday with Neilson (£1,100 half board for three of us to Hinterglemm, with lift passes and ski hire -that we sorted ourselves - it came in at about £1,650). You get to work out what is a good deal and what isn’t.

One trick to look out for with Easter and DIYing is moving away from weekend to weekend flights. We’ve flown out Saturday returned Easter Monday, flown out Good Friday and returned the following Saturday/Sunday. You can get a couple of extra days skiing in for not a lot more cost if the flights are cheaper.

To make the most of cost savings you do need to be on the ball. My old job meant it was easy to just spend a few mins every day checking to see what was about. It’s a bit more difficult to do with my current job.
latest report
Mayrhofen Easter 2018, about £2,300 for 2 adults 2 kids.
Flights to Munich out with Eurowings and back with Easyjet for £400
Hire car at Munich £150
Appartment for £600
Lift passess and equipment about £800
Anything left on a nice plate of goulashsuppe
ski holidays
Easily possible for 3 of you, although I would echo the drive comments. As I'm slightly sad, this was my total holiday cost 2 years ago for family of 5. Yes there is a lot of fuel purchases but Land Rovers Discovery is a tad thirsty!

Food shop (took with us) 150
Apartment 577.6
Eurotunnel (Vouchers) 0
Hotel Outbound - including dinner 200.97
Ski Hire 143.64
Ski Passes 708.85
Fuel 84.26
Fuel 65.98
Food Shop 91.55
Fuel 66.32
Intersport 11.14
Tourist Tax 5.57
Food Shop 74.74
Lunch 67.29
General Shopping 16.65
New Helmet! 36.35
General Shopping 11.35
Lunch 66.6
Mc Donalds - return journey 15.75
Fuel 69.03
Fuel 55.85
Ski Pass extension (over to La Plagne) 94.82
Tolls 65.07
Tolls 65.07
Cash 150
Grand Total 2894.45
latest report
Easter for 2 adults and a child under £2k? Easy.
I have done this for the last 20 years, with 5! As the kids get older though the biggest cost is ski passes - now exceeds accomodation.The secret is go to a French self catering apartment and self drive.
We drive from Shropshire, so generally leave mid afternoon, head down to tunnel or ferry, then stop at Reims or Dijon area (if we leave earlier). Years ago we saved the cost of the budget hotel and we used to pull into a service area and kip from about 2am till 6am but that is tough! This means the next day you can leave at 8 and have plenty time for a leisurely drive and stop off at a supermarket (Chambery is good - Albertville also if not a Saturday) and get to the resort around 5.
In all the years we have done this I have never needed snow chains, and only once had a "no snow" situation (the year when Easter was very late and nobody had snow). But even then, the benefit of self drive is that you can drive to where the snow is, so we popped up to Val Thorens that year.
The driving side of it is fine. French toll motorways are great - much quieter that UK (for traffic and road noise). If going to the Tarantaise you stay on the motorway or dual carraigeway until the resort road from th valley.
One thing you can also do, which we have started to do in recent years, is book start days that are not a Saturday. If you go with the big French apartment chains like Pierre et Vacance they give you this option, and Easter is always a relatively quiet period in many of the less trendy resorts, so you can contact the apartments directly and arrange this.
If you go, say Tuesday to Tuesday, the roads are often empty, supermarkets are open, and ferries and tunnel are not rammed, as they can be on Friday and Saturday at Easter (in fact I would strongly suggest avoiding the start of the Easter holidays with Eurotunnel - pretty much every time we have done this at peak time we were held up for several hours - both ways).
The journey back is generally easier. Leave the resort around 8-9, and you can comfortably be back in Calais by 6-7. Bite to eat at Flunch in Cite de Europe, cross and be in Folkstone around 8 UK time, back home by midnight.
The first time you do it it is a bit daunting (our first time, there was a crash on the motorway in France, and we were diverted off for 4 hrs in the middle of the night navigating via the Michelin Map. I was the only driver then so zero sleep - but I was younger!). Nowadays though, I cannot imagine going skiing to the Alps any other way - the journey is part of the holiday and my kids all still want to come along even though they are all adults now...free holiday after all! try it!
If you want to make the journey more interesting go via Lyon on the way down and via Geneva on the way back. There is still something exciting about driving by seeing road signs to Chamonix, Milan, Turin etc.
The flip side is that you are on your own - no resort rep to help. Which is probably why we stick to areas we know - nothing like knowing where the A and E is Shocked
snow conditions
Sorry - should have also explained that we usually go for 10days to 2 weeks at Easter. The cost of lift passes brings the budget up a bit on that time period though! When the kids were younger, they were a lot cheaper!
snow conditions
Quote:

The flip side is that you are on your own - no resort rep to help. Which is probably why we stick to areas we know - nothing like knowing where the A and E is Shocked

My experience of holiday reps is that they know the area less well than you do and their sole function is to sell you extras you don't need. I had a friend who repped for a school ski company on season and his stated aim was to make 1 euro per child per day on commission. 60 kids x 30 days a month netted a nice extra 1800 euros a month.
@quigs, after doing likewise for over 20 years. My observation is that there is always a couple hours delay at the tunnel, but then I rarely travel on a Wednesday. We were thinking of setting off on Maunday Thursday next year (the start of the Easter Holiday) but following your advice will move the departure forward a day or two.
snow conditions
The thing about renting an apartment is that you end up with much more space of your own to relax than in any hotel at the same cost. Hotels are fine, but we switched to self-catering out of preference rather than cost. The kids just had that much more space to spread out and snacks/drinks didn't cost a fortune. But I've said this to some people and found that they steadfastly refused to go on any holiday 'that's just like being at home' i.e. self-catering. I can see the objection if everything is left to one person (usually Mum) to do all the shopping, cooking and washing-up. But we put it to our kids that to be feasible, they needed to help out properly, or it wasn't affordable - which worked out fine.

Re being on your own vs TO Rep: In our area, the Tourist Office is also very helpful to visitors: one relative got them to organise a tow out of where their car was trapped in the snow. On another occasion, they helped coordinate things when one of the party fell ill and had to stay a week to recuperate. If you rent through a local Agency, then they can usually also help if you've got problems.

We've done the gamut of flying, driving and train and they each have pros and cons and I've had good/bad experiences with each. Personally, I prefer driving. We make a stop-over part of the holiday. If you're prepared, then you at least have a degree of independence. I find that things go wrong more when I fly than when I drive, but that's totally subjective. Annual trips to the Alps mean we've invested in winter tyres which have saved our bacon on a number of occasions and are useful even in a UK winter.
ski holidays
Agree, the agency we rent through were great when my mum broke her ankle. Everything else I can sort out myself as well as rep, particularly as all the arrangements are under my control.

Also second the space point, we get in at end of day and just slob out in PJs with drinks and crisps
snow conditions
Quote:

We have availability in Radstadt over Easter. We also have no peak prices over Easter for all stays.
Kids get free lift passes too!.... (just sayin' )

So do we in Saalbach - just sayin' Smile (..and kids ski for free after mid-March). As others have said the budget should be ample to cover flights, transfers and accommodation and food, as long as you do it the DIY way. Our Easter guests sometimes drive, sometimes fly, and always have a whale of a time.

Quote:

The thing about renting an apartment is that you end up with much more space of your own to relax than in any hotel at the same cost. Hotels are fine, but we switched to self-catering out of preference rather than cost. The kids just had that much more space to spread out and snacks/drinks didn't cost a fortune.

It also helps to have Smart TVs, DVD players, and a supply of books, DVDs, games, etc. Being stuck in a hotel bedroom in bad weather isn't much fun. whereas being in a 'home from home' often is.
ski holidays
I agree that renting an apartment (on line or from the offers on here) and driving is easily the cheapest way with 3 or 4 especially if you have Tesco vouchers for the tunnel. But, as said, you have to be comfortable driving for hours and hours although French Autoroutes are easy if you're happy driving continuously at 80mph.
ski holidays
Quote:

although French Autoroutes are easy if you're happy driving continuously at 80mph

Likewise the motorways in Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, and, for the most part, Germany. No tolls either. We have quite a few friends, who seem to think nothing of doing it in a day - early start, breakfast time ferry/Chunnel and arrive in resort late evening. We always do it over two days and stay overnight somewhere interesting, like Bruges.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We drive overnight straight through. Hardcore b*stards. Extra 1.5/two days skiing softens the tiredness!
snow report
Layne wrote:
We drive overnight straight through. Hardcore b*stards. Extra 1.5/two days skiing softens the tiredness!

If you go at Christmas or Easter you can add an extra 2 days skiing without driving all night. Eg. Last year we booked accommodation in Les Arcs on the opening week and arrived on Friday - 8 days in accommodation for the price of 7. On the final Saturday we skied all day in a different resort and drove to Dijon for the night.
snow report
Quote:

you have to be comfortable driving for hours and hours

Stop every couple of hours, walk around have a coffee, break the journey up. It helps if you have 2 drivers, but I've done it myself before and is very stress free if you break journey up and accept that you may get held up and have to resort to a Plan B
snow report
Oh yes, definitely have breaks. Probably every 3 hours in my case. We usually stayed overnight somewhere as well in an F1. I must confess as I get older I'm less inclined to drive (mid 60's) although drove to La Plagne in March this year.
ski holidays
I really don't understand the whole driving / self catering thing.

Flights can obtained for pocket money if you book them right and nobody will ever convince me that the "hassle" of airports and transfers is worse than being stuck in a car for god knows how many hours.

As for going on holiday to do all the cooking a cleaning yourself. . . . . is that even a holiday? We've booked for Xmas week, family of four, half board with a swimming pool for less than £2k all in (flights, accom, passes, ski carriage and hire). The bargains are out there if you have the bottle to wait for them.
latest report
@KennyEverett, Xmas week is often not a particularly peak time for flights or accommodation.
You can get some good deals, but there aren't many very often, they have a tiny booking window and the sell very, very quickly.
snow report
@KennyEverett, it's whatever suits and there is no right or wrong approach.

We fist drove when our twins were 13-months old - you can all thank me later for not inflicting them on a flight with you Laughing Although on a more practical point of view, neither of us could face an airport, flight and transfer with them and their associated clobber. The following year there was a new baby as well, so again the car was our preferred means of transport.

While we could now fly, as they're in their teens, we stick with the driving as it works for us. One of the boys went on school ski trip last year and said flying was no quicker! Door to door that is, obviously you cover the greatest distance quicker

I like to cook and unwind with several glasses of wine, so have no issue with it. Personally prefer being able to eat what we feel like when we feel like it. But as you say not for everyone.
snow conditions
@KennyEverett, with you on mode of travel (unless you’re having to fork out for a family during NY week or half term week, when flights are at peak prices), but don’t get your point about cooking and cleaning. Many of our guests eat out in a wide variety of restaurants during a typical week’s skiing holiday and don’t feel any need to cook (although some might choose to as they enjoy it). The cost savings of self-catering over a hotel are sufficient to be fairly lavish, although you can get a decent pub meal for 7-8 euros.
Non-residents can still use Hotel swimming pools and wellness facilities for a small charge. In some villages they will have excellent public swimming facilities - two I can think of are Badgastein and Kaprun.
As for the cleaning, that is normally attended to by a professional cleaner after you leave, so can’t really see the difference between an apartment and a hotel room in that respect.
ski holidays
KennyEverett wrote:
I really don't understand the whole driving / self catering thing.

Flights can obtained for pocket money if you book them right and nobody will ever convince me that the "hassle" of airports and transfers is worse than being stuck in a car for god knows how many hours.

As for going on holiday to do all the cooking a cleaning yourself. . . . . is that even a holiday? We've booked for Xmas week, family of four, half board with a swimming pool for less than £2k all in (flights, accom, passes, ski carriage and hire). The bargains are out there if you have the bottle to wait for them.

Rare to get flights at peak season for pocket money. You can wait till the day or two before and book a package like you did, which sounds like a good deal, but it's luck of the draw where you might end up and if you have kids what, if any, lessons are left, if it's peak. You'll get the dregs rather than the choice, though you might be lucky and the dregs end up being very good! Personally at Easter, I like to have the choice as I am specific in what I want and where I want to be.

As for the "hassle" of airports and transfers v cars. I like both types of trips to be honest, but of late sitting in the car Ive found is less hassle than the airport, my last ski flight was cancelled 3 hours before scheduled departure leaving us in the lurch - we were still at home so got in the car and drove down!
I've driven at Easter the last 4 years, and it has been no big deal being in the car for hours - in fact at Easter with the extra days its easier to break the journey up with overnight stays and to chill. Own personal space, own choice of music, no risk of getting checked in next to someone smelly Shocked, no risk of luggage (and ski kit) not turning up (unless your wife leaves a bag with all your ski wear in the other car rolling eyes). Once you're the French side, even at Easter, the roads are mostly clear up till Lyon. From Calais to Reims we've had occasions where we've been the only car on the autoroute for miles on end, it really isn't usually stressful driving.

Renting an apartment doesn't mean cooking and cleaning yourself, you just have those as options if you want to. Last easter we didn't put the kids in lessons, so we had a nice big family lunch in a different mountain restaurant each day. In the evening in the apartment we just gorged our body weights in cheese, bread, charcuterie and wine, didn't cook a thing, but I'm quite happy to cook even on holiday with a g&t or three in hand. It takes 30 minutes to quickly hoover an appartment, wipe down the sink and kitchen worksurfaces on the way out whilst the car is being loaded with luggage (assuming you haven't lived like a pig in a sty all week), it's no biggie, or you can usually pay 50 euros or so to not bother. Conversely I've sat in a catered chalet for over an hour waiting for a late transfer to turn up and then had a stressful journey to the airport almost missing checkin.

Equally I've had some cracking flight and half board pacakges, but that was when we used to go in January out of school holidays.

Both options work and have their pros and cons. But it's no chore driving and getting an apartment.
latest report
@KennyEverett, there are also factors such as ski and boot carriage. If you hire it doesn't matter but I've generally taken 4 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of blades and 3 or 4 pairs of boots. Maybe at Easter you'd get a cheaper package deal. Horses for courses n'est pas?
snow report
Oh and you can load the boot with French wine and food a la 1990's booze cruise stylee on the journey home just before boarding the train/ferry. Even things like good single malt whiskey can be a good tenner less in a french hypermarket than at home. Admittedly with post-Brexit EUR GBP rates it's not quite as attractive as a few years back but still.... there's something nice about arriving home with 24 bottles of wine a few slabs of beer, a few bottles of spirits and a load of cheese etc. Having a nice post holiday raclette or tartiflette dampens the reality of being home Toofy Grin
latest report
johnE,
"Hard bit getting to the Channel" Shocked

Surely it's a doddle from your neck of the woods. You should try it from up here! Toofy Grin (which we once did on a loony trip, years ago - when we drove to Austria for 2 nights! It was only 1,000 miles each way. Great fun though Very Happy)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy