Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots REALLY hard to put on / take off

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else have this problem? New boots are Lange Freetour 110. Skied in them today for the first time. Seem great, maybe a touch too much pressure on my instep as toes were numb after a couple of hours. Did a short 1 hour tour before turning back as the clouds came in. Really happy. Apart from they are a nightmare to put on. I need to put the liners on first, then force my foot into the boot, pulling apart the plastic over the instep. Getting them off whilst they were cold was near on impossible. I was straining so hard I thought I’d do myself an injury. Again the liner comes out with my foot. I have to do a combination of pushing the back of the shell down (need to use the other foot for force) and pulling apart the plastic over the instep, which also digs in quite painfully.

I’m thinking I need a custom shoehorn or something...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Themasterpiece, I find this helpful, though whether it will work with a boot that's REALLY tight, I'm not sure: http://www.slippinltd.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
are the boots warm when putting on?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
@Themasterpiece, I find this helpful, though whether it will work with a boot that's REALLY tight, I'm not sure: http://www.slippinltd.com/

That promo video is hilarious - I just don't see how it really makes a big difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haigie wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

That promo video is hilarious - I just don't see how it really makes a big difference.

Silnylon is very slippery stuff... That's all there is to it.

I met a few people on the PSB this year with one of those and they all seemed to be glad to have it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Themasterpiece, Touring boots are usually a much tighter fit, with less padding in the liner. Having said that, I usually only have issues taking boots off when they are very cold.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To add to my previous post - I suspect they made it bag shaped because just selling a piece of the material on its own would be a bit difficult.

It's available by the meter (on ebay amongst other places) if anyone fancies saving a couple quid and getting enough to cut into a fair few ugly but functional unbranded foot insertion assistance devices.

I may have a couple offcuts if anyone on the preBB or BB weeks wants some. I'd have to have a look though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jjams82,
Quote:

Exactly. I'm aware it's lazy to buy such a thing, rather than make it.
Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, yes they’re a tight fit and if it’s cold I need to insert foot into liner before sticking into the shell...

Putting the boots into walk mode really helps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Themasterpiece, 1. shouldn't need to take liners out first. 2. 110 "flex" shouldn't be that hard.

Either; there's a tech problem or you are just doing it wrong.

P.S. I thought touring boots were usually a little MORE generous than regular alpine, or should be, for the uphill.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
@jjams82,
Quote:

Exactly. I'm aware it's lazy to buy such a thing, rather than make it.
Embarassed

Bah, the stuff is a total ballache to work with it's so slippery... The time to make anything nicer looking than a cut-out rectangle of the stuff with unfinished edges wouldn't be worth the £10:D

Glad yours got returned btw.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jjams82,
Quote:

Me too. Funnily enough, I left my slippers - as I always do - under a bench in the ski room, with the Slippin balled up in one of them. And when Hoss Doc spotted them a couple of days later, the slippers had been neatly inserted into the Slippin bag. Who knows where they had been for those two or three days...a mystery.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
@jjams82,
Quote:

Me too. Funnily enough, I left my slippers - as I always do - under a bench in the ski room, with the Slippin balled up in one of them. And when Hoss Doc spotted them a couple of days later, the slippers had been neatly inserted into the Slippin bag. Who knows where they had been for those two or three days...a mystery.

The culprit probably didn't know who you were... I can imagine the terrified rush to tidily return them when they found out Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jjams82,
Quote:

I can imagine the terrified rush to tidily return them when they found out

I can't think what you mean. Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My first pair of boots were Lange, at the lower end of the price range and they were a nightmare to put on/take off. They were very uncomfortable too.

I left them in a car park in Austria. I am sure this doesn't help but they must have a really narrow ankle and I would never buy another pair again.
latest report
@roscoeh, I am not sure that’s a great argument against the brand rolling eyes
snow report
Don't think that slippery material is going to help a whole lot as it's worse taking them off.

@Sharkymark, I'll try them in walk mode, thanks for the tip.

@under a new name, I don't think it's the flex. More the shape of the plastic overlap I suspect. Never had a issue with my old boots. Though these are one size smaller.

It could be that the boots are low volume. They are on the last knotch on the buckle over the foot, and I moved the top buckets as far as I can place them over (there are 3 holes/settings) and only on the second to last knotch on them. I think my foot is particularly volumous and not got abnormal calves.
snow report
jjams82 wrote:
..I may have a couple offcuts if anyone on the preBB or BB weeks wants some. I'd have to have a look though.

Would you mind if I give them a try on the BB?
latest report
+1 for the Slippin.

The reason it is bag shaped is actually so that the two surfaces can slip against each other. It’s not really about the sock slipping against the material, or the material against the boot. The Slippin isn’t expensive so you’d need to be as mean as mousepoo to go down the root of buying a metre, sewing it into a bag, then sewing a nylon strap to it etc.
latest report
@Themasterpiece, You’re right. It won’t help taking them off. Good but of kit though! In the meantime, try stuffing a a plastic bag inside when you put your boots on. Half as good as a Slippin and worth a try.
snow report
Quote:

You’re right. It won’t help taking them off
+1
ski holidays
I still think either technique is wrong or there’s a technical problem. It shouldn’t be that difficult in a 110 boot.
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
jjams82 wrote:
..I may have a couple offcuts if anyone on the preBB or BB weeks wants some. I'd have to have a look though.

I'll have a look in my offcuts bag this afternoon and let you know what I've got:)
snow report
There is a tip here http://w.zipfit.com/fittrick.html on taking off cold ski boots. Yes, it is about Zipfits, but I suspect that it will work with other boot-liner combos, perhaps with a little modification. I use this technique and can report it works as stated.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
The reason it is bag shaped is actually so that the two surfaces can slip against each other. It’s not really about the sock slipping against the material, or the material against the boot.

Ah that makes sense.

ALQ wrote:
jjams82 wrote:

I've had a peek and it looks like I've got enough to cut out a couple pieces that are big enough to be folded in half to let it slide against itself as mentioned above. It may be more faff than the real thing and certainly not as pretty but I'll chuck it in my board bag so if you some it it'll be there.
latest report
This was posted in a thread last year (if you are impatient = skip to 40 seconds..)

http://youtube.com/v/GRE6qtCRtNU
latest report
Update after skiing a few more days. Things are getting better. Getting foot in almost normal. Getting foot out is still a struggle, but with some change in technique and tips from above I've reduced the risk of doing myself an injury. The issue seems to be that my heel doesn't want to come out of the liner. So even if I pull the tongue sideways like the above video, my foot still won't slide out. I need to push the inside of the liner down to free my heel, then pull the tongue sideways to part the plastic. Having them in walk mode helps. I could do with three hands though.
snow conditions
It sounds like a temperature problem. I’ve had boots that were near impossible to get off/on again when below zero, but were fine at room temperature.

If you haven’t already tried it, try putting them on and taking them off indoors when they are warm, and see how much easier it is, and to learn a pain free technique.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict, same here, my boots are always hard to put on, take off. That is why I hate to have to drive to lifts, my boots are always cold when I have to put them on, ( usually with ice about) so I look like a complete muppet trying to get them off. Last few places we went to had heated boot rails, and putting them on in the mornings is easy. Ditto with getting them off, if I wear my boots to apres for a while easy to remove.
snow conditions
@biddpyat, Put the boots in the passenger footwell of the car.
latest report
@rjs, We always do that too. A hot boot slips on no problem, plus you then have toasty feet to start the day.
snow conditions
warm the boots overnight in your accom, then transfer to one of those insulated shopping bags for the car. Yes, I know you can buy in car boot heaters, and heated bags, but this would cost nothing.
snow conditions
@endoman,
Quote:

warm the boots overnight in your accom, then transfer to one of those insulated shopping bags
What a brilliant idea!
ski holidays
And you can bring cold beer back in it at day end.
latest report
@endoman, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
To combat the same problem I dry the boots with something like this and then leave the heaters in the boot while stuffing my gloves in the top (to keep the heat in) before putting them in the car, then put the boots in the car footwell.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/boot_warmer/glisshop/boot_and_glove_dryer-126567.html
snow report
Some possible suggestions:

http://www.heinosskiandcycle.com/bootfitting/on-hill-problem-solving/taking-ski-boots-on-and-off

This is also good:

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, do you have zipfit liners by any chance?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy