Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon, no, really this time...

Poster: A snowHead
SkiG wrote:
Few comments about taking the train next time, anyone know if trains were affected?

Friends on the Saturday Eurostar got there early (albeit slowly from 1950 ) , and the train ran to schedule. Unlike some of us flying and driving - see my post:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132870&start=360#3157271
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alti - dude wrote:
FROM VT WEBSITE

This meteorological event will materialize in particular by:
- Wind from 100km / h to 200km / h in West / North West.
- Heavy rainfall that can give 2.40m of snow in 48h.

Does 2.4 meters of snow significantly change the avalanche risk for buildings? I am thinking of the events in Chamonix / Le tour many years ago where whole buildings were lost in an avalanch. I recall that at that time the building regs allowed buildings to be built on land that could have serious avalanche risk in a once in 100 year event.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can anyone point me in the direction of a similar advice page for Val d'Isere? Transfer booked for 6am tomorrow. Considering suggesting going tonight with a cheap hotel to avoid problems in the morning?

alti - dude wrote:
FROM VT WEBSITE

Storm Warning Val Thorens

Storm Warning
The latest weather forecasts announce a warning for 02, 03 and 04 January.

These disturbances, classified as a storm, will begin around 9 pm tonight.

This meteorological event will materialize in particular by:
- Wind from 100km / h to 200km / h in West / North West.
- Heavy rainfall that can give 2.40m of snow in 48h.

The measures taken are therefore the following:
- The road between Val Thorens and Les Menuires will be closed on the night of 02 and 03 January.
- Releases of avalanches, on the ski area and on the road can be decided
- The Val Thorens ski area will be reduced from 03 to 04 January. The 3 Vallées and Orelle links will be closed. We will keep you informed.
- We recommend to avoid pedestrian circulation in the station from 10pm tonight (02 January) and for the duration of the alert.
- The public and private car park exits will be closed on 02 January at 10pm in order not to send vehicles on the road.
- Free shuttles will be suspended from Wednesday 03 January morning.

In these exceptional measures, the restriction of movement involves:
- Move away from roofs to avoid to snowfall
- Do not move alone
- Avoid staying near embankments including in the resort
- Do not walk behind buildings.
- Use the main axes, and be vigilant to vehicles.
- The snow removal services will have to work continuously to evacuate the snow fallen in abundance.

The safest measures are to stay confined to your accommodations.

This storm warning implies that right now, and well after this episode, the risk of avalanches are high (4/5 to 5/5).

As with every situation of this type, we will keep you informed as soon as possible of the changing conditions and the situation. Stay connected on your mailboxes and social networks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it's all a bit over egged.

Here in Tignes Les Brev, it's all rather quiet with a little rain, snow a bit higher, but not like was forecast.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philip1972 wrote:

Here in Tignes Les Brev, it's all rather quiet with a little rain, snow a bit higher, but not like was forecast.

Ok, cool! We got asked to take people from VT last night before the road was closed for a flight this morning, so just want to make sure I get it right for the transfer tomorrow morning! (5.30am pick up Shock !!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess tomorrow might be different. They are still forecasting lots of snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Philip1972 wrote:
I guess tomorrow might be different. They are still forecasting lots of snow.

I'll keep checking. Thank you Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philip1972 wrote:

They don’t usually over egg things. Last time i remember something vaguely similar but not as extreme as forecast the road down from val thorens was shut for several days due to avalanch risk. it then opened for periods and people were convoyed out. Talking to the Mairie office they are most concerned about the level of roof top snow and risks of it falling from high buildings.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the storm is a little behind schedule but on its way !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the Grand Massif things opened as normal this morning, but all the links and any high up lifts have now been shut, despite there being no obvious signs of high winds or anything out of the ordinary at the moment. So they're obviously expecting something serious in the next few hours. Just hope it comes as snow not rain.......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alti - dude wrote:
I think the storm is a little behind schedule but on its way !

Awesome - just in time for Saturday then Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sj1608 wrote:
In the Grand Massif things opened as normal this morning, but all the links and any high up lifts have now been shut, despite there being no obvious signs of high winds or anything out of the ordinary at the moment. So they're obviously expecting something serious in the next few hours. Just hope it comes as snow not rain.......

We got sleet in Plagne Centre, and the Colorado and Becoin are both closed. The Cable car is open tho. Still a bit sad - sleet/rain in a ski resort Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wind is really picking up in Tignes. Ski schools are delaying start times for Thursday. Swimming pool and shopping day, maybe some sledging. 😕
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wind is really picking up in Tignes. Ski schools are delaying start times for Thursday. Swimming pool and shopping day, maybe some sledging. 😕
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/2356574754356234/

Posted about half an hour ago on Radio-TV Vals' Facebook page Shocked
latest report
Unless those winds whipped up all of a sudden, why were people even out there ?
snow report
Alpe d'Huez ski area now totally closed Shock
snow report
@ukredsox, the answer in the Grand Massif is that they opened the lifts this morning, so people went up. By the time the lifts closed a couple of hours later there would have been a fair number of people on the slopes. Sadly, someone was killed by a tree on the Marvel in Morillon.
snow conditions
@sj1608, that is very sad to read.
snow conditions
Considering current/recent conditions I'm just wondering if anyone is using the SKI A LA CARTE lift passes.

Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong but do you simply get charged for any days skied, and that these days do not have to be consecutive?

I was thinking that this could save a few quid given the current can we/can't we ski today/tomorrow because of the wind/Avi risk/rain/most lifts not running (delete as appropriate).

Last January was the 1st time that we lost a full days skiing. Refunds weren't offered because the resort had attempted to open some lower runs and later I think re-opened some beginner lifts/tows.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong but do you simply get charged for any days skied, and that these days do not have to be consecutive?
That's correct, you just pay for each day you use (although there is also an annual admin fee, €30 IIRC). Good for occasional days and not feeling like you are wasting a day's lift pass if you don't ski that day for whatever reason. But a normal weekly pass is cheaper if you ski every day that week.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Thanks Rob. I did a quick skim through the site and apart from some reductions on "off-peak" Saturdays the cost per day remains at a constant level. Unlike some lift passes where the average cost per day drops as the number of days pre-purchased increases.

But I can see the appeal to some of the flexibility. We rarely miss a day regardless of conditions but I suspect some of that "eagerness" is fuelled by the fact that if you decide to snooze, (ie duvet day) you lose! rolling eyes
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, my girlfriend has one as she is a fair-weather skier and doesn't want to feel guilty about buying a pass and not using it everyday. Works well for her (and for me as if the weather is bad and the snow is good I get to go and play while she stays at home or takes a walk Happy ).
latest report
@rob@rar, That's the kind of scenario I was thinking about.

And a final question.... you get billed via a debit the following month for the days that you've skied?
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@rob@rar, That's the kind of scenario I was thinking about.

And a final question.... you get billed via a debit the following month for the days that you've skied?
Yes, that's correct. If you send me your email address by PM I think I (actually, my girlfriend) can send you a referral code which will reduce your initial admin fee for the card (as well as giving her a small discount).
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Thanks for the offer Rob. I've already topped up our existing cards for our next trip (out on the 12th). But I believe the TignesCard passes will not be re-issued once they've expired so I'm starting to look at alternatives. If we go down the A la Carte route I'll contact you.
snow report
That video at the top of Bellevarde in Val D looks like a character-building day on the slopes of Scotland!!

Those conditions definitely wouldn't make the local news up there Laughing
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Just out of interest STGM have now introduced an on line reclaim form - very easy to use (according to Mate No 1 sat next to me) - for every day you lose. Just need your IBAN number and receipt.
Linky Linky:
https://www.ticketoski.fr/en/tignes

Anyway back to snowmaggedon we are stuck indoors in Tignes and the roads are shut.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Left Montalbert at 3.00am after clearing 4 inches of snow off the hire car drove with socks on all the way to Moutier! Had to pause in Aime to let 3 yes 3 snowploughs sort themselves out, they seemed a bit surprised to see us!
Albertville the falling snow turned to rain. Went through French security in GVA (had a Fr hire car) 10 min delay due to ATC.
I guess had we left any later things would have been very different!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy