Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon, no, really this time...

Poster: A snowHead
Few comments about taking the train next time, anyone know if trains were affected?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SkiG, doubt it. But you’ve still got to get down the mountain. If you miss your booked train I’m not sure what your options would be as they’ll all be fully booked at this time of year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A similar experience with Crystal and their poor service made us switch to other operators who basically seem to be prepared to invest a bit more in contingency arrangements and better staffing. I accept that no one can fully provision for exceptional circumstances but I am no apologist for Crystal. Their business is ski holiday provision and there are a limited set of contingencies they need to plan for. We've had much better service in similar, and worse situations, from other TOs. My conclusion is that Crystal are fine when everything is going OK, but they're not prepared to make additional investments and improve staff training for non-OK situations, in order to increase their margins. Their poor Reps suffer the brunt of customer ire when things go wrong; they probably lose customers in the long term; but the market is big enough for it not to matter to their management.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gary Fat Fingers, The trains towards the airports from Moutiers / Bourg st Maurice are usually TER trains and you can't book a seat on one of those. I think it is just a case of turning up and squeezing on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiG wrote:
Few comments about taking the train next time, anyone know if trains were affected?

I don`t know about this time but during the last snowmageddon they were, plus as has been said getting to and fro the station was a nightmare. Friends of ours spent the night on a platform!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skichampcouk, i’d assumed he meant Eurostar !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why would you choose to use Chambery airport? Too small, VFR only stacking only with GVA co-operation...etc.etc. Used it for four holidays 8 flights. Only 1 was straightforward, and that was without the 'exceptional' conditions of the last week.
It is a non destination airport for me; the potential benefit of a short transfer is outweighed (for me) by the significant delays/cancellations etc. I would rather have the (guaranteed? - well not really) reassurance of little delay and a slightly longer transfer..............
i find it even worse than Italy in the seventies with the diabolical Milan/Turin/Verona fogs. At least they had the coaches waiting at Genoa or Split!

Snow train does appear to have its attractions.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
hd wrote:
Is this snowmaggedon malarkey exclusively a French problem?
No, surely it's whenever a lot of snow coincides with a lot of traffic on the road? This weekend the weather is coming in from the north west, so the northern French Alps are getting hit harder than most on probably the busiest transfer day of the season. The (in)famous Birthday Bash of a few years ago had thousands of people stranded in the Italian Dolomites as that area got hit by the snowmageddon.

It does seem that the Tarentaise region is particularly prone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Southeast France is like a thirdworld country.

Not a particularly big snowfall and the whole region collapses into chaos.

As for the cheapo vacation companies who make the same screwups every year, despite knowing what is coming... you get what you pay for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
@hd, it's rarely a problem in Austria. Valley level resorts mean no winding up/down access roads.

This and many previous French snowmaggedons have involved queues all the way back along the multi lane highway many many kms from the access roads. I am trying to think of an analogous situation in Austria - like queues down to Innsbruck for tourists getting to the high altitude resorts such as Ischgl, Obergurgl etc? It just never seems to happen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the blame must lay with the habit of virtually a 95% changeover day on a Saturday - Maybe its time for the industry to dictate that Hotel changeover Saturday and everyone else on a Sunday.The TO's seem to manage week day changeovers everywhere else!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maersk wrote:
Why would you choose to use Chambery airport?

We didn’t , our flights were out of Geneva as I hate chambery.

Crystal rep at bourg “helped us” by putting us on a coach to chambery to make a later Manchester flight as we had already missed our coach to Geneva (as they forgot to pick us up and didn’t even know where our property was...) and the next Geneva coach was stuck getting down from les arcs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have been involved in mayhem in the past when Innsbruck has closed due to weather
Not ever had to overnight in a hall yet though.
One of my nephews and his wife ended up in a sports hall overnight Saturday on their way to Tignes. (They were not traveling with Crystal)
They were still able to ski Sunday afternoon.
A bit of a pain for them but no one died.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Took me three days to get into St Anton once. Inghams were a bit slow with information, but arranged very nice hotel accommodation in Feldkirch. No complaints.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We arrived in Moutiers on Friday evening by train from Ebbsfleet. No problems. Stayed overnight in Moutiers and had a hire car and taxi to get to Les Menuires on Saturday. Left Moutiers at 0845 by car. Taxi booked for 0830 - arrived at the hotel at 10. The car took just over two hours. The issue was locals, including a vegetable delivery truck, driving without chains and blocking the road for hours. No support from the local police to stop people driving without proper kit. Taxi arrived up the hill at 1430. Hire car had no chains available so we had to buy some but none available in any supermarket at the larger tyre size so it was socks. Not the best.

IMHO, the locals did not cover themselves in glory - the forecast was well known and they just simply did not resource up for the busiest weekend of the year.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Took me three days to get into St Anton once. Inghams were a bit slow with information, but arranged very nice hotel accommodation in Feldkirch. No complaints.

Can you recall if the trains were running ok through St Anton?
ski holidays
hd wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Can you recall if the trains were running ok through St Anton?

If I recall correctly the problem that time was avalanche risk closing routes in/out of resort, rather than 'standard' snow chaos on the roads (and I'm pretty sure trains were affected too).

Austria isn't immune to travel issues though. I've sat on totally gridlocked roads from Munich/Stuttgart to SkiWelt more than once before, but that was Feb half term crowds rather than actual snow issues I think.
latest report
@clarky999,
Quote:
If I recall correctly the problem that time was avalanche risk closing routes in/out of resort, rather than 'standard' snow chaos on the roads (and I'm pretty sure trains were affected too).
Indeed
latest report
oh I do feel for these folks, first the trouble getting there and now the Wednesday / Thursday forecast is looking unskiable....if that's a real word?
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Some of the blame must lay with the habit of virtually a 95% changeover day on a Saturday - Maybe its time for the industry to dictate that Hotel changeover Saturday and everyone else on a Sunday.The TO's seem to manage week day changeovers everywhere else!

In France, I've only ever arrived in the resort on a Sunday. The TO we use deliberately avoids Saturday changeovers. Added bonus of relatively quiet slopes on our last ski day
latest report
@ukredsox, We have been to the Tarentaise on numerous occasions and have done the same, actively choosing companies that do a Sunday changeover. Not only is travel so much quieter, but then also get to ski on a Saturday, which is wonderfully quiet. I remember 14 of us being the queue for the main lift in La Rosiere at 09.30, on half term Saturday. Not a single other soul on the slopes or Front de neige - Magical.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
oh I do feel for these folks, first the trouble getting there and now the Wednesday / Thursday forecast is looking unskiable....if that's a real word?

Snow is forecast everyday for the next 7 days. With 120 Kmh winds tomorrow http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

Just had to dig the car out agin. Only took an hour, will have to do the same again tomorrow... The snow in the garden is now over 4 feet deep. We are at 1400m.
I think our next 'project' will be building a garage Toofy Grin Mind you, I guess I could have built an igloo for the car this year.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Can you measure the snow depth just before you go to bed, and again on Thursday Morning? Am interested to know what 36 hours of heavy rain does to the snow depths.
snow conditions
Maybe there should be some sort of incentive to push people to do Sunday to Sunday. However, you get the impression Sunday is still regarded as a down day in much of Europe and maybe that is where the issue lies.
snow report
Does anyone know is the Eurostar fine in these conditions or does it have problems as well? Obviously you still have to get up or down the mountain by whatever method when you get there.
snow conditions
Sorry I see my question was covered further up the thread. Best option has to be ARC1600 and the funicular byt there's only so many times you can go to the same place..... We are going to Val Thorens this year with a taxi booked to take us up & down and taking some very excited new skiers so really hoping for a good experience...
snow report
vickitav wrote:
Does anyone know is the Eurostar fine in these conditions or does it have problems as well? Obviously you still have to get up or down the mountain by whatever method when you get there.

Same problem ultimately. A couple of years ago we met a family from round the corner in the Tignes emergency shelter and they were on Eurostar. Their transfer bus couldn't get up and down same as everyone else. At least driving once you are out, you can simply carry on. If you are on a plane/train you have to get rebooked. Although on this occasion iirc we both got home at a similar time.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@boredsurfin, Can you measure the snow depth just before you go to bed, and again on Thursday Morning? Am interested to know what 36 hours of heavy rain does to the snow depths.

I could measure the depth at 9m above sea level on Thursday wink ( Did you want high tide or low tide)

The rain all day nearer Xmas, cant remember which day, it all blends into one!, didn't do much damage to the pistes apart from making the top layer more breakable crust than powder first thing and then later heavy traffic areas became boiler plate... and my balcony, car, driveway etc was all clear of snow, although the bend in the road became sheet ice at one pint.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, Measure it at the edge of the water at low tide and then at exactly the same spot at high tide wink
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, wink Need to check the yacht when we get back although the staff assure me it's ok NehNeh
snow report
It's great how cheerful this place becomes when there's lots of snow about.

There's been years when it's been a bit doom & gloom on here

snowHead
snow conditions
I had a transfer from La Plagne that was originally booked for 11am for a 1700 flight from Lyon

They guy I was working with rang me on Friday night to say he was bringing to forward to 9am (he's been doing transfers here for 20 years, so I wasn't going to argue!)

Took us well over an hour to get to Aime just due to people without chains going very slowly. Total time to Moutiers was 3 hours. We were lucky and got through just before the road was closed (apparently there were two avalanches onto roads in or around Moutiers) and so made Lyon in 5.5 hours. The guests were there an hour earlier than need be, but at least they weren't stuck on the road out of the valley.

I then had to go to Geneva for people who were waiting as another bus was stuck in the valley. Took us 5.5 hours to get back to LP from Geneva - bypassed most of the main road traffic as the Gendarme let us use the back roads. But then we got stuck in Macot - still not sure why. Delivered them to their apartment for just after 2200.

Then I put my helpful hat on and agreed to go to Aime to collect some people from the station who's hire car had been 'given away' at Lyon

Collected them at approx 2300 - got stuck just outside Bellecote for about 2 hours due to an avalanche blocking the main road and too many coaches, buses, cars, people on the smaller road by the buildings. I got home at 2.30 am!!

Just really glad my friend brought the first departure time forward!!

Some folks I collected from a lower part of the resort at 6.30am and dropped off for the BensBus ended up getting us to take them to Aime station on Sunday morning as the bens bus broke down so they couldn't get to Geneva!!

Think I was quite lucky - this time!
ski holidays
Interview with the head of the Savoie Civil Protection

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2017/12/31/bernard-airenti-directeur-de-la-protection-civile-notre-reseau-n-est-plus-en-mesure-d-absorber-le-trafic

three points:-

1. roads sized for 20K cars day, currently transfer weekends get 40K
2. move away from Saturday to Saturday stays (point made here too)
3. Next winter you will need to have winter tires or chains if you come to the Alps - change in the law
snow conditions
@davidof, it should be winter tires and chains, but at least they are moving in the right direction.
snow report
We were held up a little arriving in Les Gets this afternoon, by a black minibus type Dutch vehicle blocking the road as it was waiting for a similar type of van further up the road putting on chains. We indicated asking it to move out of the way so we could turn right and take a different route. Mrs Dutch Van hopped out telling us they were waiting to take a run at the road, as they didn’t have any chains. I am afraid that my comment of “that was a bit stupid wasn’t it” just slipped out.
ski holidays
@Steilhang, @davidof, Tyres! We are in Europe NOT America!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
See if this works for the snowplough vid

It didn't - just go to the front page and click on the vid!

This should work:-

http://youtube.com/v/lMcqauzVcU4
snow report
https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/0/17883/val-thorens-advises-skiers-stay-indoors-days.page
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@Steilhang, @davidof, Tyres! We are in Europe NOT America!

Pneus, Reifen whatever. Just because a few million people have some archaic medieval spelling system doesn't mean everyone has to follow.
latest report
FROM VT WEBSITE

Storm Warning Val Thorens

Storm Warning
The latest weather forecasts announce a warning for 02, 03 and 04 January.

These disturbances, classified as a storm, will begin around 9 pm tonight.

This meteorological event will materialize in particular by:
- Wind from 100km / h to 200km / h in West / North West.
- Heavy rainfall that can give 2.40m of snow in 48h.

The measures taken are therefore the following:
- The road between Val Thorens and Les Menuires will be closed on the night of 02 and 03 January.
- Releases of avalanches, on the ski area and on the road can be decided
- The Val Thorens ski area will be reduced from 03 to 04 January. The 3 Vallées and Orelle links will be closed. We will keep you informed.
- We recommend to avoid pedestrian circulation in the station from 10pm tonight (02 January) and for the duration of the alert.
- The public and private car park exits will be closed on 02 January at 10pm in order not to send vehicles on the road.
- Free shuttles will be suspended from Wednesday 03 January morning.

In these exceptional measures, the restriction of movement involves:
- Move away from roofs to avoid to snowfall
- Do not move alone
- Avoid staying near embankments including in the resort
- Do not walk behind buildings.
- Use the main axes, and be vigilant to vehicles.
- The snow removal services will have to work continuously to evacuate the snow fallen in abundance.

The safest measures are to stay confined to your accommodations.

This storm warning implies that right now, and well after this episode, the risk of avalanches are high (4/5 to 5/5).

As with every situation of this type, we will keep you informed as soon as possible of the changing conditions and the situation. Stay connected on your mailboxes and social networks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy