Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to watch World cup skiing on TV/Computer in the UK?

Poster: A snowHead
As a UK resident, I remember the good old days when Ski Sunday was a regular event which covered most of the World cup Alpine events .... I like the new format but it is more entertainment than sport and only seems to run in the new year which misses out much of the season.
Then there was skiing on Channel 4 which, though late at night, had fantastic coverage.
I am not, and quite keen not to be, a Sky user.
It is a little depressing that terrestrial TV has almost totally abandoned the sport.
Does anyone know a good, cheap or free way for me to watch the Alpine world cup either on my TV or streaming to my computer?

TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The BBC red button did a bit more Alpine world cup last season, showing some races live (and I think even one before Christmas). But it isn't reliable, the commentary is rubbish, and it's about 90 minutes a week.

Infinitely better is Eurosport Player: http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/ Subscription is £35 for a year, £4 for a month, special offer £20 for 6 months. Scheduling is occasionally a little wayward, but it covers the Alpine World Cup, plus cross-country, biathlon, ski jumping and bobsleigh and its ilk. Thanks to it last year, for the first time in years, I was actually able to watch the World Cups, rather than a few random ski races.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep Eurosport player is where it is to be found but Nineveh, is being kind about the scheduling, more like notes for guidance than a schedule! Do a search for Eurosport on here and you'll get the idea!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, the scheduling is a bit hit and miss with Eurosport, which we get as part of our Sky TV package, but you do get a great variety of stuff to watch. The first men's and women's giant slalom races of the season were broadcast last week, think it's a couple of weeks or so until the next World Cup events.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I get Eurosport and Eurosport2 from Virgin Media on a L TV package and with the Virgin plus box have it set to series link and record all Ski Champs stuff and other than eurosport scheduling probs mentioned above, find it is excellent...

Think you can get Eurosport HD if you take the VM XL tv package.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks All!

Eurosport it is then!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was thinking of moving from Sky to Virgin as prices were better but sadly they don't cover our area. The only reason for me keepiong Sky is for Eurosport, therefore how could I stream from my PC to my TV, if I went ahead with Eurosport player?
My broadband and phone is with BT but they don't offer Eurosport (unless I think you take Sky Sports etc, which I'm not prepared to pay for)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This maybe a daft question, but i'm a complete technophobe...

If i register for the 6 month online Eurosport player, will i be able to watch it anywhere in the World or is it just Eurosport Uk and viewing in the UK only?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Spud, you should be able to if your laptop has a UK IP address. If not, you can buy one online for a tenner and it will appear as though your are in the UK. Just search UK IP address in a search engine. It's pretty easy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes...my IP address is in the UK. I'm off to Canada for the Season, so thought i could keep up to date with WC on my laptop.

Many thanks for the info
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you just get the Brit versions of Eurosport when you subscribe or can you get access to the Euro ones too?

Strikes me the Euro versions cover a lot more winter sports (and maybe don't screw around with the schedules as much too)!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, Having just recently subscribed for a trial 3 month period, I can confirm that you get British Eurosport, British Eurosport 2 and the (European) Eurosport channel. Apart from the live feeds you also have access to a number of archived video events including in the Alpine skiing section most if not all of the previous season's FIS WC events.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think if you're a VM customer you can watch Virgin Media Player online on a mobile device but not sure if you can get eurosport on the VM media player...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, thanks that sounds just the ticket Very Happy

WayneC, I am a VM customer at the moment but am going to drop the TV package because I rarely watch anything apart from what would be available on Freeview anyway. The only thing I'll miss is the snowsports coverage so one option is to subscribe to Eurosport for 6 months during the season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know this is a REALLY old topic, but just wanted to (i) thank everyone for the tips (even though they were not meant for me) and (ii) quickly update it:
Eurosport Player is still up and running! In my desperation to watch every single turn Mikaela Shiffrin or Peter Fill make (although he doesn't make that many) I decided to sign up last week for a yearly pass for mere eur30, and so far I've only had positive surprises:

- So far they've transmitted every Alpine skiing race in its entirety I believe (plus some other events like ski jumping, freestyle, biathlon etc, although I haven't checked if they've missed any);
- It does work on my Linux (although that's not stated in their FAQ);
- The Android app doesn't seem very buggy so far.
- The video quality is great (it adjusts automatically depending on the quality/speed of your connection);
- In principle it only works in certain European countries, however I was in Egypt this week (and going to Brazil next week) and I managed to make it work there as well! So happy! (Who cares about pyramids anyway, I just wanted to watch Shiffrin grab her first downhill win; THAT'S history);
- They will broadcast the winter olympics.

Here's what I did to watch in Egypt on my Android (and I'm counting it'll work in Brazil as well):
1) Used the app TouchVPN and connected to a VPN in the Netherlands (which is where I live, though I guess you could choose other countries as well);
2) Used the app Fake GPS to set my location to a random place in the Netherlands;
3) In the "location" setting, I switched the "mode" from "big accuracy" to "device only".

It's basically the same trick I had seen somewhere to change your location on Happn. Not sure all of these steps are necessary, but that's how it worked for me.
As far as I know, you access the content of the Eurosport of the country where you currently are, so I think you could probably use the same trick above to access the Eurosport content of other countries to (for example, being in the UK but changing your location to Germany, in case they're showing something different).

And a plus: the German channels ARD and 2DF also often broadcast wintersports (usually it's one channel each weekend), and you can see it live on their website, just Google "ARD live" or "2DF live". In Holland they're accessible, but in case it doesn't work in your country, I'm quite sure "TouchVPN" alone does the trick.

Anyway, just wanted to say based on my short experience so far that I'd definitely recommend Eurosport player!

Good luck and enjoy it!
latest report
@Gustavo the Gaper, if you use a PC try Opera as it has it's own built-in VPN to change your virtual location.
latest report
@jd_evans, there's a Chrome extension called Hola that can also work. Personally I find iPVanish to be more reliable though.

In the UK you can now also watch a channel called FreeSports, it doesn't show live races but has a catch up I believe. It's on Freeview, BT, Sky etc. so most people should be able to view...although for some reason it doesn't show up on my TV Sad
snow report
When Eurposport and Sky were having their brinkmanship barney last year, I signed up for the Annual coverage for a few quid: then dropped sky sports as it was getting ridiculous, and anyway BT Sport had most of what Chez Roll wanted.

I now used Eurosport on the (android) pad but Chromecast it to the tv. Perfect, if not quite as quite as quick changing channel using one single remote ( need to change TV source, to go from Chrome to Sky then change channel): but frankly #firstworldproblem and significantly cheaper.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy