Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA baggage charges

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a trip to Cervinia. Flew from Edinburgh via London to Turin with BA as no direct flights. I paid £65 for a ski bag which was no probs on the way out. On arriving at Turin for the return flight I was told I had to pay a further 70EU to bring the bag back - a total of about £130 to take a set of skis!!!! I emailed the customer service on return & got some BS about how they have a generous baggage allowance & space in the hold costs fuel etc etc .I flew with BA expecting I would not be subject to the usual vague/obscure charging structure on the budget airline websites - no luck. Very disappointed - they are just as bad as all the others in fact worse have just been charge £198 by easy jet to geneva return for flight, 23kg bag & ski bag. I will not be choosing them in future if I can avoid it!!!. BTW Cervinia was very cold but snowed on Sat & some nice easy offpiste on Zermatt side where snow is better, also Cervinia starting to open more pistes!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yup its about £65 each way!
Cheaper to rent... It was better to book oneway business class & economy back. That way you would get the extra bag both ways - but BA have also stopped allowing this!
Easyjet charge just under £40 each way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Correct me if wrong isnt BA £65 out of Heathrow but still £35 out of gatwick one way ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take all your kit (skis & clothes) in a single ski bag within the 23 kg limit and you won't have any BA baggage charges... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry but before everyone starts kicking off again... have we not already agreed that you are not in fact paying for a 'ski bag' you are just paying for an extra bag?

I have never ever seen why skiers think that they can have an extra bag for free but non-skiers should have to pay, just because your bag is ski shaped and theirs is suitcase shaped.

I hate BA's war on value as much as the next person but it is not abnormal for airlines to charge for extra bags and there is not really any justification for dispensation just because there's skis in it.

On the other hand, £65 is a rip-off.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-12-17 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@geoffers that's all very well for a weeks' skiing with one pair of skis but isn't so much help when you have several pairs and several weeks in resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dp wrote:
@geoffers that's all very well for a weeks' skiing with one pair of skis but isn't so much help when you have several pairs and several weeks in resort.

True but most people go for a week or two, not a full season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops, I don't think several weeks counts as a 'full season'!

I'm going to pack 2 or 3 pairs of skis, an airbag and enough clothes for 2 weeks... that's a 2 suitcase job I reckon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@smac, did you pre book the ski bag or add it at the airport? £65 looks like it is the latter.
The prices are clearly displayed and explained on the BA website.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp said,
Quote:

I'm going to pack 2 or 3 pairs of skis, an airbag and enough clothes for 2 weeks... that's a 2 suitcase job I reckon.
well don't choose BA then : choose an airline like Lufthansa where skis go in addition to bags!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dp wrote:

Or just wash your clothes? I've comfortably got 2 pairs of skis and an airbag etc in my luggage for a week. If I washed my grots, socks, tees etc I reckon I could do 2-3 weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@geoffers, but technically you can't do that...you're not allowed to pack your ski's and boots in the same bag (for no apparent reason)!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies - some of us don`t live in London or near a major hub served by Lufthansa etc ( I am in Edinburgh) & easy jet & others don`t start their winter services from edinburgh in Nov hence not a lot of choice in airlines. Also I did not expect to take an extra bag free hence I paid the £65 when booking but as per other airlines thought this covered the return flight. In retrospect yes I could have taken everything in a ski bag tho there are dimension restrictions & I was not sure if my bag would be too long. A charge of £130 is considerably more than the other airlines charge - pure profiteering from skiers!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@vjmehra, said
Quote:
@geoffers, but technically you can't do that...you're not allowed to pack your ski's and boots in the same bag

Yeah: there's a problem with the wording on their website which has been endlessly debated.

I don't know if they've done it on purpose (or just have bad proof-readers) but in reality you can take all your kit in one bag as long as it's within the 23kg limit
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@geoffers, nope they've recently tweaked the wording (not sure exactly when, earlier this year I think) and I checked with them (last week), you absolutely can't now (in theory).

However in reality it would be very very surprising if they enforced it, I doubt they would want a long line of people rapidly re-packing their bags!!

I did point out it was a bit ridiculous that you couldn't put them in the same bag even if you complied with the weight and size limits...all they said was that it was policy and they would take the feedback on board Sad
snow report
Don't forget the overall dimensions count as well Toofy Grin

"You can take your skis or snowboard equipment as checked baggage, provided it is packed correctly and within your baggage allowance.

Use a bag made for skis or snowboards to carry your equipment. This bag can be no longer than 190cm in length due to airport and aircraft baggage systems restrictions.
Your skis/snowboard and boots can be packed in the same checked baggage with your clothes as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions of 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) and weighs no more than your weight allowance. If the weight is exceeded, you’ll be charged extra at the airport.
If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance."
snow conditions
@vjmehra, Maybe they've just changed their wording again, since (as @radar says above) the rules on their website now say ...

ski holidays
@geoffers, indeed they have that is great and frankly pretty amazing!

I moaned to them on Twitter on 23rd November, so they've updated it since then...I guess thanks is in order to Linda from the BA Twitter team Happy
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
dp wrote:

Or just wash your clothes? I've comfortably got 2 pairs of skis and an airbag etc in my luggage for a week. If I washed my grots, socks, tees etc I reckon I could do 2-3 weeks.

Can you share how? I have tried and just cannot get 2 pairs of skis, an airbag and a weeks clothing into a ski bag. And I do have a pretty big ski bag.
ski holidays
@dp, the bag and a 50L Rab carryon is all you need.
snow report
My only issue is 190 is kind of tight for longer skis as the bigger bags tend to be 200cm long. I bought a douche bag as it is fully adjustible in length but only just scrapes 190 with a bit of imagination with my 186cm skis inside.
ski holidays
@mcspreader, I wouldn't worry, I've taken my 186cm skis inside a 190cm Dakine Fall Line without any problems. They've never measured the bag.
snow report
@Kelskii, agreed, my bag is 195cm and even says 195cm in big white letters down the outside of the bag and BA have never rejected it.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@Kelskii, agreed, my bag is 195cm and even says 195cm in big white letters down the outside of the bag and BA have never rejected it.

Good to hear as i've already booked my BA flights for the PBB and BB and having booked club europe, fully inted to pack to the max. 2x32kg + carry on and club grub and lounge for £180 return which has got to beat any cheapy line with baggage charge or, indeed BA in cattle class. I've tried the douche bag with two pairs of my skis and another pair of @ZombieSi's which i've been keeping warm and there is still space for loads more of little gear. Tempted to try my mini ski bench Puzzled Maybe too heavy :lol:Just need to work out where the wax iron, vices and ...and ... and.. and are going to go. Sad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 7-12-17 3:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Perhpaps...cut to BB thread.. there is a need to prearrange who takes what bit of prep tools.
snow report
My triple ski bag is 197 x 37 x 20, and doesn't cause BA any concerns. I'd be more concerned about injuring yourself transporting 32kg bags.
ski holidays
smac wrote:
A charge of £130 is considerably more than the other airlines charge - pure profiteering from anyone bringing excess baggage!!!

Fixed it for you.
Actually, I think they're very even handed on this. They charge anyone extra who brings extra baggage. They couldn't care less of the extra weight is skis or the kitchen sink.
snow report
The BA charge isn't that bad - and it is cheaper if you add it before you travel. They are also very relaxed in most airports, such as when I flew out to do my season in 2015, I had Dakine Fall Line with 2 pairs, boots, avvie kit, clothes and misc, as well as a 100L Rab duffel and between me and the ex I was around 15Kg over my 46Kg total limit. They didn't bat an eyelid. The charter airlines will start charging you by the kilo which could make £65 seem like nothing.

Quiver killers are definitely your friend for packing multiple skis... Friends of mine arrived with their seasons hardware in 1 Douchebag which included 4 pairs of bindings and 5 sets of skis...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have bought a ‘plus’ BA ticket you have the following baggage allowance.
23kg hold baggage at a max size 190x75x65cm plus the following cabin bags;

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

I think this is a very generous allowance and provides more than enough weight and volume for most people.

Be careful as you only get the cabin bag allowance with the ‘basic’ ticket and adding extra bags after purchasing such a ticket is expensive.
latest report
For me the extra tenner for a plus ticket is a no brainer - not because of the baggage allowance, but because you get free flight changes on the day of travel, without even paying the fare difference.
ski holidays
@smac, out of interest which airlines only charge you a fee to fly a bag out and let you "bring it back" for free?

No airline I've used in the past two years has ever done this, I always have a charge for outbound and inbound flights.
snow report
@kitenski, he isn't suggesting that..he says later he thought the fee he had paid covered both outward and inward flights
ski holidays
BA are no longer letting you upgrade one way to get 2 bags you need to upgrade both ways now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy