Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saux Doulx or Sestriere

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book mid January, I'm an average intermediate, can anybody recommend Italy? Somebody was saying about poor ski lifts but the resorts look fab

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both are good options - recommended. I'd say they are excellent for intermediates but also for people who love tree skiing.
Sestriere has higher skiing on the doorstep but TBH in January that shouldn't be a factor.
Sauze D'Oulx is prettier and has a really nice feel.
I'd chose Sauze personally but you won't go wrong with either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Livigno? There are a few Snowheads going to be there, having been to Sauze I wouldn't go back. Sestriere seemed a bit better but only marginally. This is the link to last year, I'm guessing there will be more info on 2018 soon. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127062
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze trip report here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2864786&highlight=#2864786
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm much the same, an average intermediate and really enjoyed Sauze. Excellent instruction (2hr private lesson) which was much cheaper than France. The slopes are mainly easy reds and tend to be wide even through the trees. Food was pretty cheap and very good.
The lifts are a bit old, but this was only an issue at the weekend when it became much busier. During the week (2nd week in March) there were hardly any queues, the sun shone and the people are very friendly. If you can accept the slightly anarchic Italian ways I think it's a great choice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Food was pretty cheap and very good.

SHould have said that - food is excellent
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a good week at Sestriere in March a few years ago. But I had the feeling that it might feel a bit bleak in mid-Jan if the weather closes in. Also in theory you can stay in either place and ski over to the other, but it was so windy that the link was closed except for one day - be warned!

And food was excellent Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sauze is a great spot. Lovely tree skiing back to the village with a huge area at your doorstep too. If you can go over to Montregenevre for the day too as it’s a good day out.
Plenty of good bars and restaurants in Sauze too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another Sauze recommendation from me. One issue as @1gunsalute, said is that the link across to Sestriere (and hence the rest of the Milky Way) can be closed especially mid-week in the low season. I got the impression they were saving the snow up top for the weekend skiers although wind can also be a problem on occasion.

A big advantage over Livigno is the short transfer time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can't go wrong with Sauze. Great intermediate skiing and decent apres. Ski lifts were fine the couple of times I've been there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gremlin81 wrote:
You can't go wrong with Sauze. Great intermediate skiing and decent apres. Ski lifts were fine the couple of times I've been there

Agreed. Very nice village feel. Some great, good value restaurants. Slopes/lifts a bit of a trek uphill from the centre though. Excursions into Sestriere have never made it appear a better alternative base.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed. Nice to ski Sestriere on tge the pass but definitely think Sauze makes for a superior hub
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mark8500 wrote:
..... can anybody recommend Italy?

The default setting when it comes to the alps.

As regards Sauze or Sestriere it's pretty much down to how old you are ...... not that it's ever that simple.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sestriere is one of the worst looking places ever.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd pick Sauze over Sestriere - probably a little biased though as I lived there for 4 years, many moons ago! Sestriere is a purpose-built mountain village, higher than Sauze but lacks character. Sauze is a proper mountain village with much more character and it's nice to ski back down into after a day on the slopes. Good selection of bars and places to eat. Sauze is good for an average intermediate and has lots of long runs down into the town.
You can ski down into Jovencaux on a nice long red or take the black route then get the lift back up to Sauze or go across to the quieter slopes of Plan de la Rocca. If you take the button lift up to the top, you can ski down into Sansicario and on to Mont Genevre although later in the season this gets really mushy as it's in the sun all day. Alternatively, take the mini cable car down into Sestriere or ski down the easy blue and then spend the day over in Sestriere.

I'd always pick Sauze for the atmosphere though.

Buon divertimento!
snow conditions
Stayed in both, If snow is good choose Sauze runs through larchs attractive and more character and life in town.
latest report
Stayed in both, If snow is good choose Sauze runs through larchs attractive and more character and life in town.
snow report
+2 for Sauze, OH and self. snowHead
latest report
I went to both last year, staying in Sauze. I found the last leg of the piste down to Sauze a bit of a bug for beginners if icy, Sestriere felt more open and easier to get around. Having said that we had a ball and there were plenty of bars and eating places for the evening.

I found the piste map/markers not as easy as those in the French resorts I'd been too. Ended up on an icy black coming back when the clag set in, my nearest and dearest was in tears. When the sun came out we could see where we went wrong and it didn't look as bad.

I couldn't recommend one over the other but as they're connected either is good for skiing. If you want night life, someone else may be better placed to answer, I skied, cooked, ate and slept Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy