Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In what way is North American skiing different from Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
The other thread about lift ticket prices (despite getting very silly and personal towards the end) raised a couple of points about how skiing in North America differs from skiing in Europe. Accepting that there are likely to be vast differences between resorts within Europe/North America, are there any major differences between those two continents that snowHeads would typically recognise?

I've not been to either the US or Canada for skiing because of family and work commitments, so can't comment on these comparisions (and I'm not trying to say one destination is btter than the other), but can other snowHeads describe any differences?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been to quite a few canadian resorts and 3 US resorts, these are very very general:

Lift queues are more organised in US, (singles lines) tend to be less crowded runs.

Runs are more artificial (cut trees) in US, but much less vertical drop/ Europe is more dramatictend to be more open/ big verticals

Tendency for much smaller ski areas, but you can ski all of it as all inbounds in US. Europe much larger/ more off piste

Pit stop fast food type eating in US.

Lifts close much earlier in US (3.00pm for example in some resorts, but they have to patrol the whole place not just the runs)

Just for starters

P.S. I like both, they are different experiences
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love skiing in Canada (and don't find it too expensive, just had two weeks for £700 each), mainly because of the wide open empty runs. I am not the most confident skier so knowing that I don't have people whoshing around me is a big plus. Also, hardly ever any lift queues and if there is, well organised and no pushing. The accommodation is just brilliant, we had our own hot tub this time.

The down side is the small resorts, we always do two or three resorts in our holiday because it can get a bit boring skiing down to the same point all the time. I really miss the mountain restaurants you get in the alps and planning a days skiing around how to get to somewhere for lunch and then back again.

Basically when I want a quick and easy last minute deal I will go to the Alps, but if we are planning a big holiday it has to be Canada.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniegirl wrote:
I really miss the mountain restaurants you get in the alps and planning a days skiing around how to get to somewhere for lunch and then back again.

They do a mean stiry fry at the top of the mountain in Panorama!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We only made it up to the top at Panorama on our last day (two weeks ago) and did have a great coffee, but in Kimberley where we also went there was nothing at all on the mountain, had to go to the village.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, as already mentioned by carroz, the lift queues are much better sorted over there. They do try and fill each chair if a crowd builds up and they have lanes to filter the correct no of people forward.

Generally speaking it's the service aspect that they are way ahead of Europe with. From having hosts to show you round the mountain to a cheery hello when you get off the ski bus. It does take a bit of getting used to as an American will generally strike up a conversation on a lift/in a gondola.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All generalisations, and there are exceptions, but a few differences...

NA: A single lift commonly serves lots of runs.
Eu: A multitude of lifts serves a multitude of runs.

NA: Lift queuing rare, but civilised, and the lifties ensure the chairs are fully loaded.
Eu: Lift queuing sometimes, can be very uncivilised, many chairs go up not full.

NA: Skiing is a Sport, which you should take seriously.
Eu: Skiing is an Experience, of which the actual skiing is only one element.

NA: Few mountain huts/restaurants, lunchtime is a distraction from the skiing and food is just a necessity.
Eu: Many mountain huts/restaurants, lunch is part of the experience.

NA: Whole ski area (not just pistes) are avalanche controlled/patrolled.
Eu: Just the pistes are avalanche controlled/patrolled.

NA: Customer service is high priority.
Eu: What's customer service?

NA: North Americans rave about skiing in Europe.
Eu: Europeans rave about skiing in North America.

NA: Resorts are busy at weekends with local skiers on day/weekend trips, and quiet during the week.
Eu: Resorts are busy in the week with week-long visitors, and quite on Saturday (usual changeover day).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 14-02-06 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have skied in Europe much more than the US (and never Canada) but the differences seem to me to be:

As stated by carroz, the lift queues in US are polite and organised, and ski lifts generally serve an area or zone rather than a number of marked pistes as in Europe.

I have never seen any big lift queues in the US but maybe that is just good luck.

The whole ambience is different. The places that I have skiied in the US have no village atmosphere as such, they are just ski areas with a big car park at the bottom and everybody goes home at the end of the day. It always seems to me that skiing in the US is more of a hobby than a lifestyle as it is in Europe. I don't think there is any US equivalent of a true alpine town like Chamonix or Zermatt (but I could be wrong!).

It seems that the Western US at least has generally better snow than Europe, but in my opinion the big ski areas in Europe (3v, Espace Killy, St Anton...) give a far superior overall experience.

My attitude to US skiing has always been that it is great if you happen to be there already and can ski for a few days, but I would not take a long transatlantic flight just to go skiing when the best in the world is (relatively) on my doorstep in France / Austria / Switzerland.

Having said all that however, if you have never been there to ski and get the chance, take it!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have skied lots of europe and had a couple of trips to canada, no usa as yet. Both different experiences. Just as austria is different to France.

Prefer the open spaces of Canada, far more laid back. Plus less annoying brits which seem to litter every french resort in their varying guises. Yeah its further to travel but its not like you have to travel by boat to get across the atlantic these days.

Having said that, if you love europe stay there, keeps me happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:

Apart from that (as can be seen elsewhere), I would agree with what you have written.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW wrote:
NA: North Americans rave about skiing in Europe.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
RobW wrote:

Apart from that (as can be seen elsewhere), I would agree with what you have written.

Maybe I should rephrase:

NA: The North American ski press rave about skiing in Europe.
Eu: The British ski press rave about skiing in North America.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing I noticed last week - fewer people stop and form lines across the piste in N/A.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
prog99 wrote:
One thing I noticed last week - fewer people stop and form lines across the piste in N/A.

prog99, particularly in Alta, Deer Valley, MRG and Taos. Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EU & NA; The Swedes will have got there first, hired a guide, skied your line and bought up all the newest kit in town Very Happy

Canada; As above plus the Japanese will have done the same. You can never beat those guys to first chair on a powder day.
snow report
I notice that quite a few americans once bitten, totally take to the European way and then become regular visitors. I've seen this Chamonix, Val D, Montersosa, Zermatt, St A and Engelberg in the last few seasons. I know this because it is very easy to strike up a conversation with them and they have invaribaly been to the resort more than I have....even Chamonix and I've lost count of the amount of times I been there. And these Americans have been pretty good skiers because they can handle the crud and ice and the allsorts of conditions. They don't complain about this rock and that piece of ice or that queue they just ski it...

Both regions are different, and they both have good and bad points, you can moan about this nationality and that strange custom but in the grand scheme of things none of it is going to spoil a holiday, surely.... It beats working anyday...!!!!
ski holidays
JT,

Can't speak to the European vs NA ski experiences much, since my experience in Europe is very limited (and I'm not a strong skier). I've skied at Alta (Utah) and have never been on better snow. The skiing was fantastic. My European exerience was limited to Lech. We loved the scenery, the apres ski, the food... Fantastic experience. I'd rather ski at Alta, but I'd rather vacation in Lech. We're going to Saalbach in late February and really can't wait. I think sometimes we lose perspective and don't fully appreciate the things we routinely experience. We see things on the other side of the pond as greener. It's all good.
latest report
In Europe I've only skiied in Austria, in NA I've only skiied east coast but - agree with everyone re lift queues (lines), agree about the lunchtime experience, agree about the friendly American attitude. Disagree that NA regards skiing as a serious sport and not an experience, when I was having lessons in NA it was all about "having a good time" and enjoying the holiday. NA slopes have always been beautifully groomed, much easier to ski but generally more icy - I learned to ski on sheet ice at Tenney Mountain, NH.

In NA got used to wearing face masks and extra layers as it was really freezing - so cold one day at Loon Mountain NH that when I got out of the car I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach! Wind chill had brought it down to almost -50F

If you want to ski at Feb half term then in my view NA is better (unless it coincides with Presidents Week), less crowded than Europe and flights to Boston cost about the same as a charter to Salzburg!

Can't decide which I like better so I'll carry on skiing both Very Happy
latest report
JT wrote:
And these Americans have been pretty good skiers because they can handle the crud and ice and the allsorts of conditions. They don't complain about this rock and that piece of ice or that queue they just ski it...

In fact that's their main reason for coming to Yurope

"hey, we jus' don't get these challenging conditions in Beaver, y'know its just power powder powder, get's real boring after a while"
ski holidays
Quote from young chap in ski hire shop at Heavenly (California) to us - "I sure would like to get to Europe and ski on some real mountains." Well the mountains around Lake Tahoe and certainly in the Rockies looked real enough to me. Couldn't really understand this at the time.

However on reflection I realised that in Lake Tahoe resorts you seem to ski from the top of the mountain down, whereas this is rarely the case in Europe - generally at the top of a Euro ski lift there are still higher peaks all around you which maybe gives a more dramatic feeling to the ski experience.
ski holidays
I skiied mostly in Europe but I have been told, that the Alps pretty much go from valley to mountain very dramatically, while the Rockies build up to elevation much slower. Thus in the Alps, you have some amazing views because you can look straigt down onto a lake or river in the valley.
latest report
davidof,

Agree
ski holidays
Trenmold wrote:
Quote from young chap in ski hire shop at Heavenly (California) to us - "I sure would like to get to Europe and ski on some real mountains." Well the mountains around Lake Tahoe and certainly in the Rockies looked real enough to me. Couldn't really understand this at the time.

However on reflection I realised that in Lake Tahoe resorts you seem to ski from the top of the mountain down, whereas this is rarely the case in Europe - generally at the top of a Euro ski lift there are still higher peaks all around you which maybe gives a more dramatic feeling to the ski experience.

This is probably about the best summary. The US do manicured and marketing very well but in myview the real gems are not the most hyped resorts but often smaller places with consistent snowfall and a crack gang of locals who ski every inch of the mounatin literally.

My fave places in Europe similarly (possibly influenced by too many early holidays in French mega resorts with poor snow) are those that have under 15 lifts but massive accessible offpiste. Usually there are a disproportionate number of Scandinavians Yanks/Canucks in these places too because they seem to know.
latest report
fatbob,

Yep, follow those Swedes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy