Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baselayer / Midlayer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I THINK the argument for bamboo rayon is less about the material properties than the fact that bamboo is faster growing and therefore environmentally superior to using woodpulp.

Yes, that makes sense. However, as others have pointed out that the environmental benefits of growing bamboo rather pale into insignificance when you take into account the production process required to turn all pulps into rayon. Where you get the bamboo from is probably less important than where you have it processed. I'd rather have mine processed in Austria to high environmental standards than in, say, Indonesia or India where standards may be more lax.

@Esdel,
Quote:

grass
I rather suspect that the manufacturers regard it all as wood pulp or just pulp. It's certainly not 'grassy' in the way that you or I would think of it. The fact that bamboo is a grass is about as meaningful to the end product as discussing whether a lump of coal started life as an elm tree or an ash tree.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@foxtrotzulu, To miss quote one of my favourite quotes of all time

"You know nothing, the fact that you may know you know nothing is something, but you dont"

If you had ever in fact worn anything made of bamboo, we wouldn't be having this conversation, try some , then get back to me.

I'm off to dig up some potatoes and sell them as apples.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Esdel, You have completely failed to engage or counter any of my points. Please point out where I am wrong about bamboo viscose? I have no doubt that it feels great compared to many other fabrics like cotton, wool, whatever. What I am trying to get to the bottom of is why you think/believe that bamboo viscose is likely to feel any different from any other sort of viscose? So far, you have given me a whole series of nonsense 'facts' delivered in a patronising way. Let's just look at a few of them:
Quote:
Bamboo being a natural fibre means that bacteria can't grow therefore it won't smell at all.
Cotton, wool, linen etc. are all natural fibres and can smell.
Quote:
Bamboo fiber is naturally round like a tube which makes is soft and supple to the touch. It doesn’t have spurs or burrs in its makeup, and the fibers are extremely long which reduces the amount of piling needed to create fabrics from the raw fibers.
Bamboo fiber has natural antibacterial properties which help keep germs and odor away between washings.

The shape of the fibres hardly matters when you are about to turn it into a solution.
If you were to 'create fabrics from the raw fibers' then some of what you say may be correct, but the clothes you linked to, like the vast majority of bamboo fabrics are not made from raw fibres.
Bamboo viscose does not retain any anti-bacterial properties - You can be prosecuted in the US for claiming so.

What you seem to have done is take info from 'Bamboo Bubby', an Australian producer of baby-grows and children's clothes, who may or may not use bamboo linen in their products, and applied that information to the bamboo viscose products from BAM clothing. That's a bit like arguing that because a graphite pencil is a useful writing implement then a diamond will be equally good.

Please tell me where I'm getting it wrong. I'd genuinely love to know. In the meantime, saying that I'd immediately understand if I wore a bamboo product is just daft. I have worn a bamboo T-shirt. It felt great. It felt great in exactly the same way that my other viscose/Tencel and Modal products feel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu,
I can't really picture you in a viscose t-shirt Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma wrote:
I have always purchase Icebreaker Merino baselayers but are there other cheaper makes which are just as good.

I’m also looking for some mid layers

Anybody got some links to website with deals or discount codes?

Not all merino is equal. I jumped on the merino bandwaggon earlydoors but the fragility of the icebreaker stuff I had, added to the fact if (well, when) it gets sweaty, it stays pretty sweaty (though warm) has lead me to only use them occasionally for "non-active" pursuits (holes are all sewed up). The only merino t-shirts I still use are patagonia ones that, for some reason, seem a lot more robust than icebreaker whilst being finer and less itchy.

They are loads of good fabrics out there and it's horses for courses. Generally, people rave about what they have as they've spent money on it and need to justify that (especially with merino, it is very expensive). Patagonia/s capeline, the Arc/Teryx phase stuf, Rab have Meco and I imagine decathalon do a whole range of decent stuff for a good price.

For a midlayer, a grid backed hooded fleece is my go to (ME Eclipse, Patagonia R1 are my favourites) but that might be due to my climbing background.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DJ, Thanks for the discount code - just applied it to the sale items. Don't think I care if it breaks down more quickly than Merino - they're 1/3 the price and who wants to wear 10 year old grundies? (and if it makes me look like the model then they are cheap at twice the price)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big recommendation for merino from me. I bought my first merino baselayer for skiing about 5 years ago and it was a revelation - I used to ski in a cotton t-shirt or long sleeve, and the difference is night and day. Merino is warmer, breathes better and doesn't smell, even after wearing it for days. I have a bamboo baselayer - it's nice and soft, but it isn't as warm as my similar thickness merinos, and you wouldn't want to wear it for more than a couple of days, because it will smell.

I now own loads of merino gear, from a Fjallraven Lappland Merino that cost me nearly £100 in a sale, to really cheap Mountain Warehouse Extreme T-shirt merinos from the outlet for less than £10 and I've been pleased with them all. I now pretty much live in merino during the winter months when I'm at home - they're great for walking the dog, and good as gym shirts.

For skiing, you can't beat them - a couple of merino baselayers will comfortably do you a week. I highly recommend Howies long merino boxers - they finish just above the knee, and I much prefer them to my longjohns on cold days skiing, as they provide better freedom, and don't bunch up. I've just checked the website, and they are a bit expensive at £39 a pair, but I won't hesitate to replace them when they finally do go, even at that price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy