Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubbing my toe in my boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have (what I believe to be) a quite uncommon issue in regards to ski boots.

My feet grow by half a size when I go from applying zero pressure to applying full pressure on them. This means when I do a jump when skiing when in the air I am applying zero pressure so my foot shrinks in size, however when I land I apply full pressure, meaning my foot instantly grows half a size - resulting in me stubbing my toe on the ends of my boots. By the end of the ski holiday my big toes are black and blue.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to soften the landing blows, other than ending my jumping days?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have any insoles/footbeds in the boots ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do, tried both with and without, pain remains when landing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay on the ground. Problem solved!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Stay on the ground. Problem solved!

Unfortunately not an option
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gil3000, as a resident cynic I find the idea preposterous that your foot changes size in a fraction of a second. Far more likely that you don't have your ankle clips done up tightly enough so that your heel is held firmly in the back of the boot. When you land in an unbalanced position, your foot slides forward in the boot momentarily with the added force of landing. Your big toe absorbs the impact because it's the first point of contact.

I'd put a whole night's bar bill on a wager that that your boots are too big/loose.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raceplate wrote:
@gil3000, as a resident cynic I find the idea preposterous that your foot changes size in a fraction of a second. Far more likely that you don't have your ankle clips done up tightly enough so that your heel is held firmly in the back of the boot. When you land in an unbalanced position, your foot slides forward in the boot momentarily with the added force of landing. Your big toe absorbs the impact because it's the first point of contact.

I'd put a whole night's bar bill on a wager that that your boots are too big/loose.

It genuinely does, something I actually wasn't aware of until I had my boots fitted and the individual fitting these boots showed me how much they changed and by what size. It's as if my foot spreads out as soon as I plant it on the floor. I've tried numerous boots over time, had insoles fitted and moulded to my foot, had my boots fitted by professionals, had my boots adjusted from loosest to tightest and everywhere in between, ensured I'm landing balanced etc. etc. yet the problem persists. It isn't such an issue when in the air for a fraction of a second, more 1 second+. It's legitimately any time I'm in the air for this amount of time, regardless of how well/poorly I land
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How do you cope when you ski with all weight on one ski? As above, I can't imagine the foot changing size when constrained inside a ski boot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
endoman wrote:
How do you cope when you ski with all weight on one ski? As above, I can't imagine the foot changing size when constrained inside a ski boot.

It's fine, feel no pain. It's the fact when applying pressure/weight is distributed evenly the ski boot fits well, once I remove pressure from one of the feet the boot becomes too loose.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have some sympathy as my feet seem determined to change shape depending on pressure ( though not jumping), causing ongoing ski boot issues for many years and different boots. But mine don't do anything like hours, fortunately.
However, I would have thought that in your case a good bootfitter should be able to find out what's happening and at least choose and/or modify a boot for you to minimise the issue.
Perhaps an issue with volume at the forefoot or ankle? Maybe you have either a very flexible or very collapsible arch (or some similar foot bit - complicated things, feet) and your insoles aren't fully supporting them?
Hope you get it sorted.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah I have a very high arch which I believe to be the main cause of this. In turn this has meant the amount of ski boots I've been able to choose from have been somewhat limited given I need a boot that has plenty of space for my high arches otherwise I experience pain with just the boots on, regardless of what I'm doing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gil3000, so get a custom insole made specifically for a high arch to stop your foot spreading. A good boot fitter can also lengthen the toe box so that your big toe doesn't touch the end under any circumstances. If the other boot dimensions are correct and tight, it'll make no difference to your normal skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raceplate wrote:
@gil3000, so get a custom insole made specifically for a high arch to stop your foot spreading. A good boot fitter can also lengthen the toe box so that your big toe doesn't touch the end under any circumstances. If the other boot dimensions are correct and tight, it'll make no difference to your normal skiing.

Unfortunately that's what I did and the same issue persisted (this was pre season last year). Perhaps have another one fitted?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still think your boots are too big/wrong shape. But putting that aside, there are boot fitters and boot fitters. How was your last insole made? Standing on it or seated whilst the fitter moulded it to your foot? The latter is correct for a high quality issue specific one.

I had boot fitting issues for 25 years. I've used Salomon custom shell for several years which has helped a lot but the latest version coupled with zipfit liners has made a big difference. I have a quality custom made insole for a semi high arch, slightly twisted, to stop my wide foot spreading.

If your shells are correct, then zipfits and a well made insole will almost certainly stop the problem IMO.

What's your level of skiing experience? It's pretty common for the less experienced to have their boots too big/loose because they simply don't know any different.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raceplate wrote:
I still think your boots are too big/wrong shape. But putting that aside, there are boot fitters and boot fitters. How was your last insole made? Standing on it or seated whilst the fitter moulded it to your foot? The latter is correct for a high quality issue specific one.

I had boot fitting issues for 25 years. I've used Salomon custom shell for several years which has helped a lot but the latest version coupled with zipfit liners has made a big difference. I have a quality custom made insole for a semi high arch, slightly twisted, to stop my wide foot spreading.

If your shells are correct, then zipfits and a well made insole will almost certainly stop the problem IMO.

What's your level of skiing experience? It's pretty common for the less experienced to have their boots too big/loose because they simply don't know any different.

If I remember correctly I was stood up whilst it was moulded (had it done at Ellis Brigham). The guy seemed to know his stuff and I had no qualms with his knowledge, doesn't mean my read wasn't slightly off though.

Skied for 15 years+ (I'm 27 y/o), ski blacks comfortably. This issue seems to only have risen in the past 4/5 years despite three different pairs of boots - the past two have been fitted. One thing that certainly hasn't helped is the fact I've had gout off and on for the past 3 years in one of my feet - doubt this has an effect, just thought it may be worth mentioning.
ski holidays
Gout won't make your toes black. It'll make a specific part of your foot swell or if left untreated the whole foot. You won't be skiing if you have a proper gout attack. I've seen a young (at that time, undiagnosed) skier with gout and he was crying with pain on the hill. I also suffer occasionally but it's mostly due to dehydration from living in the ME and too much booze. I would only ski with it on industrial anti-inflammatories and a camelbak.

I wouldn't rate EB at all. Suggest you go and see the grumpy Scotsman in Bicester.

When he tells you your boots are too big, you owe me a night out wink
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Gout won't make your toes black. It'll make a specific part of your foot swell or if left untreated the whole foot. You won't be skiing if you have a proper gout attack. I've seen a young (at that time, undiagnosed) skier with gout and he was crying with pain on the hill. I also suffer occasionally but it's mostly due to dehydration from living in the ME and too much booze. I would only ski with it on industrial anti-inflammatories and a camelbak.

I wouldn't rate EB at all. Suggest you go and see the grumpy Scotsman in Bicester.

When he tells you your boots are too big, you owe me a night out wink

Can I have a link to the grumpy man in question, or somewhere you would recommend?

Had a number of gout attacks (only one when skiing thankfully), but it has now effected the sensitivity of my joints, obviously ski boots are unpleasant to put on at the best of times - currently tee total whilst trying to put a stop completely to gout.

Based in the midlands but willing to travel wherever providing it sorts this out. If it does indeed sort it out the Vimto's will be on me!
ski holidays
At your age, the gout is probably genetic rather than lifestyle related. You have my sympathy. FWIW, I have a pet theory that gout is related to natural salt intake - lower (natural) salt = higher risk. Drink natural soy sauce - it has more salt than salt does wink

Anyway, the grumpy Scotsman is here https://www.solutions4feet.com/

Don't expect any gratitude or even a goodbye after you've spent £750 with him.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
How was your last insole made? Standing on it or seated whilst the fitter moulded it to your foot? The latter is correct for a high quality issue specific one.

Out of interest, do you know of anyone in UK, Northern side, who can do the latter? I need this for ski and walking boots, but can only find the stand-on fitting and that doesn't give me enough or high enough support. Even pretty well-regarded ski boot fitters seem only to do the stand in ones, and I've ended up reheating and pushing up the insoles myself in some cases.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, i know you are somewhat tied to the north but is there no way you can do a day trip to London? Profeet 100%
snow report
Your feet cant change by half a size. That isn't how feet work. You would need exceptionally fat feet and a distinct lack of bones for that to be remotely true.

Your boots don't fit.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
Your feet cant change by half a size. That isn't how feet work. You would need exceptionally fat feet and a distinct lack of bones for that to be remotely true.

Your boots don't fit.

They do - I've measured both before and after (potentially a touch below .5, but definitely closer to half than not growing at all). No my feet aren't fat, I believe it's due to exceptionally high arches that I have - this contributes to many boots feeling agonising as my feet tend to be crushed by the boot due to this..
ski holidays
Your feet don't change size instantly, they can change shape.

They can change size rapidly due to vasodilation 2ary to pain - but I would think seconds would be a bit quick.
ski holidays
@Thornyhill, @motdoc, I have just taken my socks off, put a tape measure on the floor and can easily get well over an inch of difference in my foot length (and they're only very skinny M23.5!) depending on whether I simply 'clench' my arch and foot muscles (not difficult on a steep/scary run, by the way - so probably easy enough to happen in any boot that isn't an utter all-round ultra-tight fit, especialy if taking off and landing as the OP referred to), let them relax, stand relaxed or stand very pressured.
So, um, yes, my feet can change by "half a size" too; a lot more than half a size, I reckon. I'm not talking about curling things up, just normal ability to contract, relax and put strain through my tender little foot paws. Like the OP I just seem to have very flexible feet; maybe being thin, with no fat or visible padding to speak of (oh, the joys of ski boot comfort rolling eyes ), makes the issue more apparent?
snow conditions
@Grizzler, I can be 5'9 if I slouch or 6'2 if I stand on tippy toes. That doesn't mean I grow 5 inches in a few seconds. Well fitted boots will support your tootsies at all points. Badly fitted boots won't, allowing for a change in shape.
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
Out of interest, do you know of anyone in UK, Northern side, who can do the latter? I need this for ski and walking boots, but can only find the stand-on fitting and that doesn't give me enough or high enough support. Even pretty well-regarded ski boot fitters seem only to do the stand in ones, and I've ended up reheating and pushing up the insoles myself in some cases.

Grizzler - you could give rivngton alpine (based near chorley) a call and speak to them
http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
Well fitted boots will support your tootsies at all points. Badly fitted boots won't, allowing for a change in shape.

I don't disagree in the slightest - well-fitting boots and appropriate insoles are essential.
I was just pointing out that some people can and do have feet which expand and contract as the OP was reporting and others refuting.
latest report
@Johnor, last time I was there ( a long trip south for me still) they only did Sidas (?) stand-on ones rather than mould into your feet ones.
Someone has suggested a couple of places in Kendal or Keswick for walking boot ones but have yet to see what type they do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizzler,
An interesting comment about "clenching foot muscles on a steep/scary run."

I've got a friend who suffers agony in ski boots. He has very limited ski experience & last year mentioned foot clenching on steep runs...

2 beginner friends also mentioned it years ago and I was flabbergasted.

I can honestly say that, in over 30 years of skiing, I've not once clenched feet or toes - regardless of the gradient. (Sphincter, yes
Toofy Grin - but no to the feet!)

I wonder if this is a common problem.

So, :sH, how many of you have experienced foot clenching? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Grizzler wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
How was your last insole made? Standing on it or seated whilst the fitter moulded it to your foot? The latter is correct for a high quality issue specific one.

Rivington Alpine seems to be the "goto" Northern place, not been personally, but my wife has.
snow conditions
Agree, feet do get bigger and spread out under weight.
I've just fitted Superfeet Blue foot beds and they seem to hold foot size better than my old instaprint custom footbeds, and are more stable.
I also make sure my toenails are trimmed well back.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, me, unfortunately! I often clench/curl my toes. It's quite possibly due to being nervous on more difficult ski runs, but I also do it when running (which seems to be related to the amount of effort I put in, as it's more likely to happen during a long and/or hard run). It's a pointless and annoying habit, which has caused many black toenails - not so much of an issue for running, as trainers are forgiving, but can be painful in ski boots. Obviously I try to concentrate on not doing it, but forget/get distracted all too often!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy