Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage. British Airways

Poster: A snowHead
@ster, if we're allowed to fly & return to the UK without quarantine again before Xmas, I'll definitely test it for you.

The link I put above suggests there's no problem at all tho'.

@DCG, Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowdave, I had found that page too, thats why I checked with an agent on the phone as the page quoted conflicts with the main BA website.

I can only think that the holidays website terms may apply to ski holidays (flights plus hotel) booked with BA Holidays, or 2. as it mirrors so closely the old policy that it just hasn't been updated for these new rules?

But let us know how you go. Good luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well you are certainly allowed a surfboard or kayak up to 190cm as part of your normal allowance. So if in doubt, claim it’s a very narrow surfboard
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't worry. BA take a ski bag as a hold bag.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yorksboy wrote:
Lufthansa carry skis free (in addition to usual allowance) - but not to North America.

https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/sports-baggage-conditions

Your skis' weight when combined with your hold bag must be 23kg or under. You must book the option to add hold bag when first booking rather than a light ticket and paying to add a hold bag later; this is sometimes cheaper but you can't then take your skis as part of your hold luggage. Have watched many an incandescent Brit caught out in this way at Munich Airport.

You also get a free chocolate with Swiss which is nice!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowsartre wrote:
Yorksboy wrote:
Lufthansa carry skis free (in addition to usual allowance) - but not to North America.

Your skis' weight when combined with your hold bag must be 23kg or under. You must book the option to add hold bag when first booking rather than a light ticket and paying to add a hold bag later; this is sometimes cheaper but you can't then take your skis as part of your hold luggage. Have watched many an incandescent Brit caught out in this way at Munich Airport.

Unless it's changed, the skis don't have to fit within the 23kg. They're in addition (same as with Swiss). You do need to call in advance and have them added on to the booking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You should inform LH prior to flying if you intend taking skis. I never say when booking, I always get Mrs M to call them afterwards as she likes to chat in German. They have never checked the combined weight of our skis and hold luggage (or if they have they are very lenient) although they do [sometimes] weight the skis. My hold case is always well under 23kg but the other three are on the limit and we take 3-4 skis and 3-4 boots in additional bags. I would say that we usually have 3 hold bags at 20kg+ and mine at about 15kg, a double ski roller at 20kg+ and junior's skis and boots in separate bags (with Mrs M's crampons,walking poles etc etc) a total of 7 bags at about 115ish kg. Well over 4x23kg.

We have done this with LH, Swiss and Austrian.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
..and I personally prefer Swiss as the nice girls always bring me a lot of gin snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:
Yorksboy wrote:

Unless it's changed, the skis don't have to fit within the 23kg. They're in addition (same as with Swiss). You do need to call in advance and have them added on to the booking.

You have to call to register your skis - not available on a light fare.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Yorksboy, When flights are full - eg the last flight from Munich on a Sunday evening in ski season - I have frequently had the check-in person combine the two weights (hold bag and ski box). I have also been asked to take items out of a child's rucksack at the gate before as it was 200g over the hand luggage weight, admittedly this was also the only time that I have witnessed Lufthansa weighing cabin luggage at the gate (at check in, yes).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre, I've had mine weighed at the gate with lufthansa
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowsartre, @holidayloverxx,

I,ve a flight to Salzburg ( via Frankfurt) booked for the 12th December. I booked this specifically to transport skis to Austria. When I telephoned to register they said that a pair of skis and poles were in addition to my checked baggage. To be honest I won’t have much additional luggage, just skiwear. Leaving skis etc in Austria for my trip in the new year. Coming back before Xmas with hand luggage only. I’ll let you all know how I get on.

I can see that there may be problems on busy flights especially if people turn up with out registering. However, the website is clear and this was backed up by their agent on the telephone.

Ski carriage charges etc is one of the reasons that I haven’t bought my own skis for about 30 years. I usually rent. But I got a good deal and will leave them in Hinterglemm for the future.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All good and interesting stuff but as this is the British Airways ski carriage thread and people might hope to read about BA, maybe set up a Lufthansa thread if its also wanted?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think I have ever had cabin baggage weighed by any airline.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
I don't think I have ever had cabin baggage weighed by any airline.
BA don't because 23kg in hand baggage is unlikely and you will be lugging it yourself.

I've has it weighed by KLM and also Emirates on a Qantas ticket so had to argue about it. Never flown Emirates since then.
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
@Yorksboy, When flights are full - eg the last flight from Munich on a Sunday evening in ski season - I have frequently had the check-in person combine the two weights (hold bag and ski box). I have also been asked to take items out of a child's rucksack at the gate before as it was 200g over the hand luggage weight, admittedly this was also the only time that I have witnessed Lufthansa weighing cabin luggage at the gate (at check in, yes).

Interesting, then they should really learn their own baggage rules Happy
snow conditions
@ster, I would call again and ask a different agent. If you get the answer you want, make a note of the name of the person you spoke to and the date and time of the conversation. It's common to get inconsistent answers from BA staff - to be fair, that's not suprising given the complexity of everything they need to know - and I would be really surprised if they had changed their policy in the way you were told without making it clear that only midget skis are allowed. I personally have never had trouble using my baggage allowance to carry sporting equipment with BA, although that's more commonly a bike than skis.

As a couple of others have noted, you should check the pricing of business class tickets very carefully as, particularly when there's a sale on (there is now), it's common for the business class uplift to be less than the cost of a second bag. Beside the additional baggage allowance, Club Europe also comes with lounge access, decent food on the flight, priority check-in, security and boarding, and a guaranteed empty middle seat.

Apart from the BA Holidays link that has been posted, this page on the BA website says that skis are OK up to 190cm. To avoid any possibility of nastiness at check-in, print out a copy that shows the date you viewed it and take it with you when you fly.

Somewhat optimistically, I have booked to fly with BA to Vancouver in January. I'll make my own enquiries.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
... Somewhat optimistically, I have booked to fly with BA to Vancouver in January. I'll make my own enquiries.
Um, how are prices/ cancellation policies for that?
snow report
philwig wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
... Somewhat optimistically, I have booked to fly with BA to Vancouver in January. I'll make my own enquiries.
Um, how are prices/ cancellation policies for that?

I booked in February when coronavirus was a little local difficulty in Lombardy and Wuhan so, sadly, I'm not covered by the current flexible booking policy. At the moment, it looks like I will get a future travel voucher if I'm not allowed to travel or if I have to quarantine on my return. New bookings have much more flexibility. I don't want to cancel, though - I want a holiday.

Prices are (and, when I booked, were) exceptionally low. If you pick your dates carefully, you can fly for £383 in Economy or splash out and travel in total luxury in First Class for about £1,894.
latest report
That was fast...I've had confirmation by email from BA by email as follows: "You can take your skis as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight. The maximum dimensions would be 190 x 75 x 65cm."

So, as suspected, you were incorrectly advised when you were told that there would be a charge.
snow report
@Jonny Jones, good stuff.

Although not good that the main BA website is quite misleading on the matter. And their agents misinformed, or rather I think all they do is regurgitate the website info.

Where did you write to to get your confirm?
snow conditions
I just used the online enquiry form on their website. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a priority help line which may explain why they responded in less than an hour.
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
That was fast...I've had confirmation by email from BA by email as follows: "You can take your skis as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight. The maximum dimensions would be 190 x 75 x 65cm."

So, as suspected, you were incorrectly advised when you were told that there would be a charge.
Thanks.
snow conditions
Got an email confirming all is well too. Took less than 12 hours to get a reply from filling in their webform. Very strange that their website, having been so clear on the matter, is now a bit of a mess on the subject.
ski holidays
Anybody got any idea what BA are doing these days? The website seems to suggest they will not allow skis/snowboards as your normal checked baggage, but there is no way of finding out how much carriage will cost without having an existing booking?! Madness.
snow report
@Pastorius, doesn't look like it has changed? Still states that you can take skis or snowboard as your checked bag.
ski holidays
I've never really come across any airline anywhere who won't take skis/ snowboards as standard checked baggage. I suppose they may exist. I think it's maybe the charter business which causes people to even think there may be a problem with this, but there really isn't. Some airlines (eg Air Canada, maybe Swiss) let you take skis as well as the standard allowance, but that's way too much luggage anyway.
snow report
@philwig, EasyJet certainly doesn’t, it has been steadily getting worse over time...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked flights with BA only a couple of weeks ago. Skis acceptable as checked baggage without any issues.
snow conditions
@philwig, as above, EasyJet have size restrictions which means skis don't count as standard baggage...but that's clear and flights are kinda priced to suit. Often I can get EJ tickets plus the baggage charge for skis and still pay less than the basic BA ticket.

BA do different things for different flights, althought that may only be short/long haul and particularly if the flights are actually with one of their 'partner' airlines (or whatever they call them)
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@philwig, EasyJet certainly doesn’t, it has been steadily getting worse over time...
I should have said: "scheduled airline". My bad, but obviously Easy Jet charges vast amounts for carrying snowboards, usually more than the flight cost in my case.
snow conditions
@philwig, easyjet...and Ryanair....are scheduled airlines not charter.
ski holidays
BA becomes expensive in Cattle Class when you want to take a bag AND skis separately. I think an extra £100 for the skis. I find only an issue if i was planning an off-piste trip with all the extra kit etc. Business class maybe a viable alternative as not much price difference..

I actually usually use avios to Geneva with BA. ?16,000 points and £50. Usually availability far out enough. Save in the airport with food and booze, loads of baggage and quick off the plane. Handy if coming back from a tripas you can wait in the Bus. Class lounge.

I think I have churned about 200,000 points with new Amex cards, spend, nectar offers etc between the wife and I in the last few months. Just taking out a Amex Gold card will give you enough points for the flight. Obviously only an option if you pay off CC every month and spend enough to make it worthwhile. Always happy to refer for the extra points too.
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
@Pastorius, doesn't look like it has changed? Still states that you can take skis or snowboard as your checked bag.

Seems they've changed their policies
ski holidays
@Pastorius,

From the website. Calculate the dimensions of your ski bag together and the dimensions of checked baggage allowance to compare

"You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within the maximum bag dimensions.

Skis and snowboards must be packed in a protective bag and can be in the same bag as your boots or clothes. 

If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot bag can be carried as hand baggage if it's within the correct dimensions. If it doesn't, it must be checked in and will count as an extra checked bag.

For safety reasons you can’t board the aircraft wearing ski boots."
latest report
Maximum dimensions 90cm long - therefore no ski carriage on checked luggage surely?
snow report
For ski bag as your gold bag that used to be 190cm Max length
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
For ski bag as your gold bag that used to be 190cm Max length
Gary Fat Fingers found, a couple of months ago, a Tweet from BA saying this was still the case, but I can't now find it. Maybe another enquiry to BA might clear this up.
snow report
It gives that length on this page

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/destinations/holiday-types/ski-holidays/ski-extras
ski holidays
Pastorius wrote:
Maximum dimensions 90cm long - therefore no ski carriage on checked luggage surely?

Isn't it the sum of all the dimensions? If you look at the sports equipment section it clearly states you can take a ski bag as your checked baggage
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy