Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions in the tirol

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I've been persuaded to book the BB. snowHead

But, I don't need to be back at work till the following Wednesday as it's carnival where I live.

So my thinking is saying, why come straight home, when I could hang around the Alps and have a few extra days skiing. Plan would be, get bus or bus/ train from arabba to somewhere else in the tirol on Saturday, then ski (poss Saturday), sunday and Monday and then travel home by train Tuesday, avoiding the carnival chaos at home.

I have a wish list, which may not all be possible..
1. Easily accessible by public transport.
2. Not too busy (even given carnival), can be a small area.
3. A selection of blue, runs which don't need reds to get to them, shorter runs are also ok, being able to see what I'm getting myself into before I get on the lift a definite plus.
4. A good ski school which will either let me join an English speaking group for 2 days (Inc Sunday) or do private lessons at a reasonable price.

My ideas...
1. Stay in the dolomite superski area, eg. Corvara, colfosco, or even kroonplatz. The advantages i can see here are that I just get a longer ski pass, I know corvara/ colfosco from the summer and have skied pralongia plateau from San cassiano before. Disadvantage is that it's still a long journey home, getting across the pass, just cuts out 1 bus. Kroonplatz would be new, and there looks to be a selection of easy pistes up the top, plus is nearer a train station (brunico) for heading home. Another advantage here would be I could probably ski most of Saturday too with any of these options.

2. Rio di pusteria (muhlbach) this is on the train line from brunico up out. Piste map looks ok. Don't know anything more yet.

3. Somewhere off the train line from Brenner to Innsbruck, eg steinach am Brenner? Looks a bit unconnected if the reds are too hard!

4. Stay in Innsbruck and commute out to places? Schlick 2000 looks good. But am thinking this option will mean busy pistes over weekend and carnival as won't Innsbruck have carnival off too?

So any advice? suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kronplatz ticks some boxes, but possibly not enough. You can ski from Kronplatz summit down a run called Reid (mostly blue standard, a couple of steeper bits but with "work around") which ends at a railway station at Perca/ Percha. From there a train goes up the valley to join the main line at Fortezza(?)
But do you want to ski carrying all your luggage?
Plenty of easy blues / reds on Kronplatz summit though.
Much though I am a big Kronplatz fan, I suspect you would be better elsewhere (Corvara / San Cassiano?)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen or anywhere up that valley. Easy access by train via Innsbruck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnHSmith, I wasn't planning on skiing with luggage, but rather transferring myself and luggage, using local buses, across to a new hotel near a Kroonplatz lift (or near to a bus stop which takes me to a Kroonplatz lift), hiring a new set of skis and then heading up the hill. Would be aiming for a lift you can download off, as I'm definitely more attracted to the skiing at the summit (based on the piste map). Then on Tuesday when I head home, I can easily get into Brunico (would be better to stay that side of Kroonplatz) to jump on a train and head back across Europe.

I've also discovered that Rio di Pusteria is also covered in the dolomiti superski area, so also has some added advantages.
And I found Sankt Andra, just outside Brixen, which looks ideal from the piste map (also dolomiti superski), but haven't worked out if it's possible to get there from Arabba on the Saturday before Carnival without paying enormous taxi fares and don't know if it will be too busy that weekend with people from Brixen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you decide on Kronplatz, you can download to Reischach / Riscone (next to Bruneck/ Brunico) or Olang / Valdaora from the summit.
For onward transport the Brubeck has the station and valley road out. There is an easy beginners slope at Reischach but your skiing would basically be on the summit of Kronplatz.
There is at least one ski school (and I think there are two or three) with a meeting place on the summit. The website www.kronplatz.com/en has links I think.
I prefer the San Vigilio side myself but it isn't as easy to get to by public transport.
I still think the area between Corvara and San Cassiano might be a better bet. There is a nice bowl full of mostly blue runs which would be great for a couple of days
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy