Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vienna to Saalbach train tickets?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. Me and a friend are traveling to Saalbach on December 25th for a couple of days of skiing. Our plane lands in Vienna and we are planning on taking a train to Salzburg and from there another train to Saalbach. I’m wondering if it’s safe to not have these train tickets prebooked? And do the trains run often? We are thinking of just getting the tickets right at the station, it feels quite risky to get those tickets beforehand for a specific train, when there could be issues with the plane being delayed and such. We will also need time to find the trains and stations. Is this a good idea? Are there better ways to travel?

Thank you for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Catniss, you can book tickets in advance on oebb.at and there's an option for them to be transferable to another train if you are delayed at the airport for example. The quickest train from Vienna to Salzburg is Westbahn.

Train travel in Austria is cheap, on-time and clean. Can't fault it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just spotted that your date of travel is Christmas Day. Pretty sure there will be fewer trains that day so I'd suggest planning in advance and not 'winging it'. The train journey from Vienna to Salzburg is around 3 hours. From Salzburg you would probably need to change at Schwarzach, Zell am See or Saalfelden.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Catniss, Welcome to Snowheads.

While it is possible to travel from Vienna to Saalbach by public transport, you can't do the whole journey by train.
The nearest station to Saalbach is Zell am See, from where you get a Postbus to Saalbach. The bus stops directly outside the station at Zell am See. If you arrive after the last bus has left, there is a taxi rank there as well and you might be able to share a taxi to Saalbach with others in the same situation.

Trains run hourly until 14.30, changing at Salzburg. After the 14.30 departure, you cannot complete the journey by train on the same day, but you could still get to Salzburg and then get a Holiday-Shuttle from Salzburg Airport to Saalbach. Details at the oebb website and holiday-shuttle.at. The later holiday shuttles are at 20.15 and 22.30 - you get a bus (or taxi) from Salzburg Hbf Station to the Airport, so allow 40 mins for this section of the journey. The latest train you can get from Vienna is 19.30 in order to get the 22.30 holiday shuttle. On the oebb website it does not seem that Christmas Day has any impact on the timetable.

On reflection, you might find the holiday shuttle to be the best solution from Salzburg at any time of the day, as the train journey from Salzburg to Zell am See takes a slow route, and then you need to get the Postbus, and then a taxi to your accommodation. The holiday shuttle takes 80 mins from Salzburg Airport and will take you directly to your accommodation.

I assume that you've already bought your plane tickets, but if not, there are far better airports for Saalbach than Vienna. Vienna Airport - Saalbach by public transport takes over 6 hours, whereas Salzburg, Munich, or Innsbruck Airports are closer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There doesn’t seem to be fewer trains that day. Do these trains depart straight from the Vienna Airport, or do we need to travel to a specific train station?
When searching for a train from Vienna to Saalbach I found one that takes us as far as to Maishofen Ortsmitte, where is that and how to we get from there to Saalbach? I’m really thankful for all help, I’m feeling a little stressed over this sitiatuon NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Catniss, Don't travel to Maishofen! - there are only one or two trains a day that stop there and then you need to get the Postbus up the valley to Saalbach. The Postbus does not stop at Maishofen Station, so you'd have a 10 minute walk, assuming that you knew where to find the bus stop.

I would get the train from Vienna to Salzburg, then either plan to continue by train to Zell am See or look at the possibility of getting out to the Airport and taking the holiday shuttle from there. If you are leaving Vienna later than 14.30 then you can either do this, or get as far as Zell am See and then get a taxi to Saalbach.

Re Vienna. There is a train from the airport to the city centre - but I think this goes to a different station than the one for Salzburg/Zell am See, so you may need a cab or metro to the main station. https://www.cityairporttrain.com/en/home
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
Just spotted that your date of travel is Christmas Day. Pretty sure there will be fewer trains that day so I'd suggest planning in advance and not 'winging it'. The train journey from Vienna to Salzburg is around 3 hours. From Salzburg you would probably need to change at Schwarzach, Zell am See or Saalfelden.
Catniss wrote:
There doesn’t seem to be fewer trains that day.

I've never encountered trains "sold out". So I always only buy ticket at the train station. That way, I even get on a train earlier than I had in mind when the airport routine went smoothly. (but I was typically traveling on lines with lots of trains during the day)

Quote:
I’m really thankful for all help, I’m feeling a little stressed over this sitiatuon NehNeh

Have you thought of checking with the destination village's tourist office (or their web site)? They should have the best knowledge on how to get there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okay thank you so much quinton for answering all my questions. We arrive in Vienna at noon. The train route I found goes to Zell am See and there wants to switch train and continue to Maishofen, but it’s better to just stop at Zell? Getting the shuttle from Salzburg airport seems to be the least complicated option. I will look into it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Catniss, No, don't travel to Maishofen - the station is a tiny halt in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the village with no taxis or busses. Leave the train at Zell am See and get the Postbus or a taxi to Saalbach.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy