Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone have ski wax speed data?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads!

Does anyone have access to any data from ski waxing tests? I understand the benefits of waxing skis and why harder or softer waxes are better in different conditions. However I am keen to see what the real term benefits are.

How much faster is an optimally waxed ski to a non waxed ski? How much slower is using the wrong wax to an optimal one for the conditions in % terms?

How are ski wax tests done to negate extraneous factors such as snow temp fluctuations, weight of the skier, aerodynamics etc?

Has anyone been involved in a wax/speed test?

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts and any links to real term data.

Thanks,

Joey G

Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@joeyg, As someone who offers professional servicing services and as an ex ski racer, id have thought you could tell us the answer to this question...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@paulc1984 , always looking to build on the knowledge!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back in my days as serviceman in WC (xc, where this is even more important, and alpine, where waxing is joke compared to xc), I did few 10.000 ski/structure/wax tests Smile But honestly, I didn't do a single test comparing nonwaxed skis with waxed ones. Even between almost perfect wax and really perfect wax, difference is big. This will be more from xc side, where testing is more thorough, and it depends on test you do so results are different. They can be in distance or in time, as tests can be done just down little hill and compare how far each ski glide, or they can be done on hill with timed section. So on distance difference between two similar waxes (on calibrated skis) can be up to 2 or 3m on about 50m glide test. For times difference can be up to 0.2-0.3 on 5 to 6sec glide section. That's for xc, where speed on glide section should be approximately same as speed on xc race is, so most of tests are done on terrain where you get 20-30km/h speed.
For alpine, noone does glide tests for SL/GS skis, but for SG/DH skis, tests are done on few 100m straight sections where you reach speed from 110-130km/h on timed section (also about 5-10sec section) and differences between good and bad wax (or good and bad skis) can be also up to 0.3 in some cases even 0.5sec.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Waxing is the biggest scam ever to hit the consumer ski industry.

The wax gets scrubbed off by snow, water and debris within minutes of sliding down the snow.

Wax lasts about 1% of the ski day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure for both of your claims @CharlieBaron and @Whitegold. Absolutely no need to wax. Waxing is worse thing you can do to protect your 1000eur investment (read: skis). So no need for that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, clearly you are waxing wrong then. When I wax it last. Sure I wax every other day when on a mountain but it would likely last longer if I wasn't so OCD.

1% of your day, you sure must be covering a lot of miles (or you are so poo-poo slow you don't notice the difference!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
White wax = Fast
Yellow = Fast as Fook
Blue = oh for fooks sake

+ Zardoz = I'm gonna kill @PaulC1984,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GlasgowCyclops, haha. I you go and let me wax your skis whilst supplying me with wine what do you expect 😂😂😂

You had to keep up with Tania somehow Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy