Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@PeteMan, Not yet. Will be sallying forth later this evening and may pop our heads in to see what it's like, but no doubt it'll be quiet - not many people about yet, despite the idyllic conditions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, see you in Burgi's or the Spitzbub one afternoon next week ?! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@radar, An offer I can't refuse! Give me a shout.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First day here - some of the best (european) powder for a long time - spent the day lapping the Hasenauer & Sunliner chairs in the trees where the visibility was reasonable.

Who needs to go to Japan/Colorado for pow when conditions are as good as this!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
here here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied in Hinterglemm today. Absolutely superb powder and very quiet. Some of the pistes were like off-piste due to the amount of snow coming down and so few people around. Visibility was very bad higher up and the wind was also blowing but once down in the trees it was just fantastic as has been mentioned above. Forecast is for better light tomorrow so could be another great day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also spent a superb day yesterday in unlimited stashes of powder. It's my 2 boys first real experience of snowboarding in powder and their whoops of joy said it all really. To be fair, we've earned it having struggled the last few years to find anything but cannon snow. Looking forward to today as some sun forecast
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Question: is the lift operation business as usual on Christmas Day and Boxing day? Anything special on that we need to look out for. Apart from looooooadsa snow! 5 sleeps....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RetroBod, Yes, it’s business as usual 😀 on those days. Their holy day is Xmas Eve and even then all the lifts will be open.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Piste 68 is open - yippee!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Early I know, but what is Saalbach like around Easter? Just wondering whether we could squeeze a late trip in?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FrediKanoute, We normally stick around in Saalbach until around the second week of April. You can get a cold snap and fresh snow in late March or early April, and the resort and the pistes are relatively quiet. If Easter is early (as it is this year), I would say that you can be reasonably confident of having an enjoyable holiday. We’ve hosted Easter guests who have enjoyed it enough to go on to buy an apartment here.
If the weather should happen to be mild and spring-like, it obviously pays to get out early whilst the pistes are still firm. In the afternoon the south-facing pistes can be expected to be soft - the best skiing will be found at Leogang, Fieberbrunn, the Zwoelferkogel and Schattberg North.
You can expect to be able to ski down to the village on the main pistes until early April.
Between 16th and 30th April, “White Pearl Mountain Days” (google it) will be hosting daily mountain top parties at various restaurants throughout the Ski Circus- ski till mid-afternoon, and then relax in a deck chair with great food, and a glass of prosecco (or something), and watch a live band or solo violinist or saxophonist, before skiing down. Last year it certainly enlivened the second half of March.
If you would like further information about the resort PM me your email address.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrediKanoute, +1 for what TT said.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got a cheeky extra 2 hours yesterday afternoon having arrived in SB early. Got the ski legs running on the Bernkogel. Fab-u-lous. Ashamedly we have missed first lifts but looks like a bluebird day........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well things have changed now! Heavy rain from top down last Thursday and Friday. Today heavy rain below 1700m and temperature3-4 deg, drenched by 1pm and retired....
snow report
@skivor, Had a nice lie-in and a nice day watching tele and generally lounging about. After a blast around yesterday, and then the Hinterhag, and then a late night watching Spacey in Bobby's, good to recharge the batteries ready for a week of fine days ahead. Very Happy
latest report
Here's hoping!
snow report
Blue sky day but crazy temps 15Deg on top. Great skiing to Leogang then moist lumps along 66/65 to Hinterhagalm then Burgi's Bar our favourite place. Vodka/RedBulls dissipated tired limbs!
snow conditions
@skivor, out of curiosity where did you get that temperature reading from? I was there a few days ago and noticed several of the signs on lifts giving false readings.

https://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/wetter/stationen/saalbach/
ski holidays
Top of Prundlkopf or Wildenkarkogel (still feeling our way round). Certainly felt like that was correct (as evidenced by state of my nose which had no sunscreen!). No point in nose photo because of alcoholic consumption on way back to Saalbach!
ski holidays
@skivor, if it was on the lift display I think it was probably wrong. I got a little sunburnt on Saturday, but the temperatures have been nothing like that warm as far as I am aware.
snow report
I noticed that it said 10 degrees on the Poltenlift on my way through at 12.00 and 12.55 (did piste 68 twice), but it didn't feel that warm. The south-facing pistes were in pretty good nick - skied faster than at any time yet this season. Friends went to Fieberbrunn and said it was icy over there. Skied down from the Bergeralm at 5.30pm and it was setting hard like concrete where the bashers hadn't been.
latest report
@tatmanstours, on Saturday there were 10C variations on different lifts within a few hundred metres of each other...
snow conditions
Don't !forget Cuckoo (world-class Irish band) are on this evening in Bobby's Pub. Well worth seeing
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, On Saturday I ate my lunch (Chicken Man) in a T-shirt outside on the balcony. However, in the shade it was much colder, so I imagine that temperature recordings had a lot to do with whether they were in full sun or shade. The previous Sunday was even warmer, I was sweating buckets and it wasn't that sunny.
ski holidays
@Penry, The warm front, or whatever it was, seems to have passed through - colder for the foreseeable future.
snow report
@Penry, my point was that some of the readings on lifts were quite clearly false. It wasn’t a question of being in the sun or not. It was reading 15C at 10am on the Schönleiten lift on Saturday morning. I am pretty confident that was some sort of error. It was very mild for January mind you.
snow report
Seems to me that if the readings are wrong the resort should sort it. I have no axe to grind and reported what I saw. I've skii'ed for 30 odd years and can assure you that on south facing slopes on our way over to the Poltenlift the snow was transforming by 11.30. Not saying the skiing was bad but it is like spring skiing and north facing definitely gives you the best slide....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skivor, has definitely been warm in the sun!
ski holidays
Cool
latest report
This time last season, if I remember rightly, we had a couple of weeks of -20 to -30 degrees - I remember my face hurting as I skied!
latest report
Can anyone tell me about the ski routes (F34/F35) from the Reckmoos to the Tirol S talstation?
Are they pisted? How steep?
I'm thinking of taking my daughters down there and don't want to scare them. They're reasonable skiiers on reds and easy blacks.
latest report
F34 and F35 are proper ski routes and not pisted. I haven't skied them often and would say they require pretty high competence and experience of skiing in deep snow. You could try F33 at the top of the Hochhörndl, quite steep, to give you a feel of what you might face on the other routes but with an easier out back to the piste. Once you're committed to the other routes it is quite a way back to the piste.
ski holidays
Thanks @espri,
I’ll properly have to give it a miss then.
snow conditions
A couple more questions.
Am I right in thinking the first week of April is the last week of the Saalbach season?
Do they normally keep all the lifts and pistes going to the end of the season, conditions allowing?
snow conditions
@Drammeister, Yes, it closes this year on 8th April, which is earlier than usual, but the policy appears to be that when Easter's over, and the supply of punters dries up, it's not financially viable to keep it all running.

Regarding the question of whether they will close any of the slopes during the last week of the season, this is the reply I've received from the lift company:

"Dear Mr. Tatman,

thank you for your kind E-Mail and your interest in the skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn.
It is just planned to close the Kohlmais at the 2nd of April at the moment.
The others can be closed shortly if the snow conditions is not good enough anymore or there are too less people who use the lift.
But we hope that we can use all the other lifts in Saalbach Hinterglemm until the end as well. J

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate and contact us again.
Kind regards"

As it's Easter I assume that they will try to keep as much running as possible. A few years ago I recall that one of the best weeks of the season for snow conditions was the first week of April - sunny with cold temperatures and overnight snowfall
snow report
@tatmanstours,
Thanks, that’s a bit disappointing, especially as Easter is early and the snow depth this year...
I’m surprised as that week has most of the German regions on school holidays.
snow report
@Drammeister, I was a little surprised when I first saw that the resort was closing as early as 8th April. Last year it was 15th, and generally it tends to be around the middle of April. As you say, the snow depth bodes well, as does the consistently cold weather (temps down to -20 currently). I don't know if the massive amount of development work scheduled for the spring has anything to do with it - e.g. the demolition and replacement of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn. .
snow conditions
I'm still toying with the idea of going to Hinterglemm in the first week of April, seen some reasonable appartments near the Zwolferkogelbahn.
Great offers on lift passes (low season and kids free I think from website).

How's the snow holding up?
It's looking like it might be a bit warm next week.
snow report
@Drammeister, The snow is currently pretty well perfect - Mrs tt declared yesterday the best skiing day of this season (and who am I to argue), and she is a fierce critic of slushy, mogully pistes. It’s been snowing lightly on and off most of this week - not much at village level but enough to delight some of our fellow snowHeads, who are currently staying with us.
Next week will be warmer, but not apparently the ridiculously hot, sun-bathing weather that sometimes comes our way in the early spring.
When the resort closes on 8th April, it won’t be for lack of snow but for lack of punters. Once Easter is over who, apart from possibly yourself, would consider booking a ski holiday here? (And helping to defray the enormous cost of keeping it all running?)
Normally we might be thinking of paying the Kitzsteinhorn glacier a visit in early April - it’s only half an hour’s drive away. However, unless the weather warms up considerably, we may not bother this year. It has been known for the skiing conditions to be excellent in early April - we’ll see.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy