Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about ski touring!

Poster: A snowHead
Evening All,

I'm considering dipping my toe into ski touring, but have realised i don't know an awful lot about it!

Do you folks have any websites that you use?

Boots, i assume the flex and sole will be slightly different than a standard piste boot? Bindings....again, slightly different given the motion to skin up the hill? Can these bindings be fixed on the descent to avoid the 'telemark' type style? In other words, if i didn't fancy hiking up a piste could i configure my boots and bindings to behave like your typical piste set up and have a day using the lifts?

Like i say, novice central here on the ski touring subject!

Any advice will be greatly received!

Cheers all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How long do skins last? Are there different types of skin for different snow conditions?

I know Google may be able to help, but i'd refer to have it from the horses mouth so to speak!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wildsnow.com is a good source of info.

https://www.wildsnow.com/2009/tips-backcountry-skiing/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-at-bindings

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-11-17 20:47; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can ski tour in Alpine boots (with suitable bindings) but they're heavy and uncomfortable. Specific touring boots are better.

Yes, different bindings. There are essentially two types - "frame" bindings, which are more or less an alpine binding mounted on a frame with a pivot at the toe and a locking mechanism at the heel and "tech" bindings which use a pin system at the toe (requiring special boots). Tech bindings are, generally speaking, much lighter and hence preferred by most ski-tourers. They are expensive though and may not offer as much injury protection as a normal binding.

Once the heel is locked down, you ski on them as normal - you would never use a touring setup to make Telemark turns.

Skins last ages as long as you don't abuse them. There are small variations in types of skin, but it's more about a compromise between grip and longevity than different snow types.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ninja_dave wrote:
Can these bindings be fixed on the descent to avoid the 'telemark' type style?

Yes.

And have a go, it's easier than you think.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I started with the most rudimentary kit and upgraded as I went along. Yes you can spend a fortune, but it can be done cheaper, or you can rent the whole kit and caboodle for a few days to see if its for you. Beware it can become addictive!

Also have a few goes on the nursery slopes ie only a couple of hundred metres up, the most difficult thing for an averagely fit person is the palava from going from uphill to downhill mode and learning how quickly you get very sweaty so what you need to have on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ninja_dave, Whether or not you have you own or rent boots, the easiest way to try basic ski touring is to rent some skis with frame bindings and matching skins. The frame bindings work with standard piste or alpine boots, and behave as normal piste bindings until you want to start skinning. You then just attach the skins to the ski bases, and release the heel lock on the frame bindings, so the pivot at the toe. When you have climbed as high as you want, you remove the skins, lock the heels of the bindings again and ski down as normal.

Skinning will feel awkward at first, especially if you try a kick turn on a steeper section, but it becomes second nature. If you find you really like ski touring, then its time to look at lighter dedicated touring boots and bindings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some great info there folks, thanks very much. I'll be doing some more research on this......

@Chocksaway Again, it's glaringly obvious, but something i hadn't considered!

Thanks for the links, i will be checking those out with this mornings brew!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that you're unlikely to do the haute route first up, I wouldn't go straight into credit card more.

I've done a number of day tours with my downhill boots (raichle flexon) and hired skis/skins. Touring boots can also be hired in most places.

As ever, technique is far more important than getting the best tech. I would strongly recommend getting a bit of instruction. You could use an instructor in resort, or go on a course. The eagle ski club runs beginners touring hole and they are excellent.

Obviously a basic level of fitness is required, but the amount of friction the skins can generate means that it never gets too steep.

Give it a go. It's a great way of getting properly out there. I'd have to say that the downhill is often a bit ... Challenging as snow conditions can be pretty unpredictable
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pendodave
Quote:

It's a great way of getting properly out there. I'd have to say that the downhill is often a bit ... Challenging as snow conditions can be pretty unpredictable

That is one of the reasons behind getting involved with it. I had a chat with a couple of lads and girls in Cortina last year who were skinning up the mountain and it was away from the crowds, they'd barely seen anyone all day....sounds like bliss to me, plus it's one step closer to getting involved with Haute Route which ive had on my radar for a while now!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pendodave wrote:
Challenging as snow conditions can be pretty unpredictable

This! Make sure your technique is up to scratch - easy to find yourself in lots of "interesting" snow conditions from top to bottom of a run! And goes without saying - make sure you're with a guide or are comfortable with avalanche risk assessment.

As others have said, easy to configure a set up which is suitable for DH most of the time and the odd tour here and there. Especially if you're looking for lift-assisted stuff - great way to get into it... Lifts to you chosen start point, and an hour or so skin can often open up some amazing terrain.

I used Salomon Guardian frame bindings with freeride boots for years - basically a standard DH boot with a "walk" mode to allow more flex when skinning. A heavy set up, but fine for a couple of hours skinning here and there. I've done whole days on them and not as fast as folk on full touring kit, bit fine for the occasional day.

I wouldn't go to specific touring boots (and pin bindings) unless you're really into touring. Loads of freeride type boots out there now which will ski like DH boots but have a walk mode.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ninja_dave,

if you are really interested I'd go into the guides office and ask whether they have an introduction to ski touring group running during the week and where they would recommend to hire gear. They will have a kit list and point you to the one or two shops in resort that take touring seriously. I'd hire boots and skis rather than use your alpine boots. You can then taste it for a day, get some instruction and see if you want to do more.

probably best in March but if the snow cover and weather is stable early season that can work too.

enjoy!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go with a frame binding and alpine boots at first. Then, if you like it, go for a pin binding set up.

If you buy new boots anytime soon then make sure they have tech fittings.

I have done 1,400 vertical metres on frame bindings and alpine boots (inc foam liner) but I cannot say I am in a hurry to repeat the experience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla wrote:
Go with a frame binding and alpine boots at first. Then, if you like it, go for a pin binding set up.

If you buy new boots anytime soon then make sure they have tech fittings.

I have done 1,400 vertical meters on frame bindings and alpine boots (inc foam liner) but I cannot say I am in a hurry to repeat the experience.

Very good advice here.

I would personally start with Marker frame bindings, the F10 or F12. Much as I ridiculed them in the beginning (I had Fritschi, Silvretta and Dynafit) I've owned and used them for the last 5 years on my "occasional" touring skis. Yes their mode (between ski and tour) switching is annoying but they are the simplest and best skiing (downhill) of all the frame bindings out there.

Skins, the early Ascension skins from BD were bombproof, they discontinued them (I still have a pair that are 15 years and 300+ touring days old) but the place that made them started selling themselves - http://climbingskinsdirect.com/. There are many other great options out there, the only problem I have with the aforementioned skins is I always have to fit aftermarket tail straps to stop the tails pealing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, you know the French don't have a word for "faff" Laughing
ski holidays
@ninja_dave, my advice would be to book yourself on a course. Hire the stuff. It’s not just stuff you need maybe more important is the knowledge that you get doing it with someone experienced. One other tip would be to make sure you’re reasonably fit.

When you try it you will either love it or hate it. Problem is if you love it you’ll very soon want the best ie lightest kit, in which case anything that you’ve bought will be a waste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy