Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance - question on stolen skis

Poster: A snowHead
Just checking through the policy before renewing our annual policy and noticed this exclusion I hadn’t appreciated (not sure if this is new this year or if I just hadn’t noticed it before).

Under Ski Equipment I am NOT covered for:

Quote:
any claim for items stolen whilst left unattended at any time unless YOU have left them secure in a locked hotel room, locked apartment, locked holiday residence or other locked and secure self contained residence

So if my skis are locked to a ski rack and stolen they aren’t covered which is a surprise to me.

My question is, is this a pretty standard clause? If they are all the same I will just go ahead and renew but if this is unusual I will go and get a load of extra quotes.

Another thought would my skis possibly be covered on my contents insurance where I have personal belongings away from home cover?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's reasonably common. I had a feeling that my insurance (MPI) allowed me to leave it on a rack outside a restaurant but I've just read the policy documents and can't find such a term, so I might be mistaken.

I've been aiming for prevention rather than cure. Lock them up, which at least will hopefully make them less nickable than somebody else's skis.

Or just use crap skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dp wrote:
I think it's reasonably common. I had a feeling that my insurance (MPI) allowed me to leave it on a rack outside a restaurant but I've just read the policy documents and can't find such a term, so I might be mistaken.

I've been aiming for prevention rather than cure. Lock them up, which at least will hopefully make them less nickable than somebody else's skis.

Or just use crap skis.

Yep we have the ski locks and I always lock them up. The skis themselves are cheap ones but the bindings are not (kneesafe bindings) and I would be most upset to loose them. The risk of them being stolen I feel is relatively low, I was just surprised to discover they weren’t covered even when secured.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This from my policy

What you are not covered for ---

"Winter sports equipment you have left unattended in a public place unless the claim relates to skis, poles or snowboards and you have taken all reasonable care to protect them by leaving them in a ski rack between 8am and 6pm"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, thanks! Who are you with?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:

Or just use crap skis.

I'm with MPI too and had the same feeling... I also couldn't find anything in the policy wording but there is this on the main ski/board insurance page on their site:

"We also appreciate certain actions cannot really be avoided, such as leaving your skis/boards outside a mountain restaurant, or sneaking through a snowpark for a quick jump, therefore there are no exclusions regarding snowparks or loss of skis up a mountain."

I suppose as they say in the wording that theft of equipment is covered and don't specify any exclusions regarding them being secured that means they're covered?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The usual cover reduces until the skis have no value after 5 years do realistically after 3 years not worth claiming because of the excess.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
The usual cover reduces until the skis have no value after 5 years do realistically after 3 years not worth claiming because of the excess.

Does this include value of the bindings? Which cost me more than the skis (including bindings) in the first place?

Sounds like may as well just renew.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, Direct Travel

https://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ski-insurance/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Does this include value of the bindings? Which cost me more than the skis (including bindings) in the first place?

Sounds like may as well just renew.

I dont know...my skis came with bindings
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From MPI Policv Summary.

Covered - "Loss, theft, or specific accidental breakage or damage to ski equipment.
Including outside restaurant at lunch time (please split skis). Also damage
whilst in use"

Only applies if Wintersports section is included on their Standard or Excel package. I hadn't noticed it before this year. I will still be locking them up though to avoid the hassle of them going missing. Police report etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:

This is very true because travel policies aren't new for old. I think most 'thefts' are actually mistaken identity so splitting them tends to sort that out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Requiring a locked room is silly, for skis. I suspect the Financial Ombudsman would substitute a more sensible interpretation.

My cover, with CheaperTravelInsurance.co.uk, does not insist on locking or locked rooms, despite being as cheap as their name implies.

It has the ski rack wording about no cover for:
"Winter sports equipment you have left unattended in a public place unless the claim relates to skis, poles or snowboards and you have taken all reasonable care to protect them by leaving them in a ski rack between 10am and 8pm"

I don't quite follow the logic. Are my skis any safer in the ski rack than if I stick them vertically into the snow bank a metre to the left of the ski rack? Must remember to stress to the family that they must always use a rack, even if it is full.

I can see that it is risky leaving them in a ski rack in the evening, when it is dark and few people might be around, but if I go for a wee at 9.50am and leave them in the rack, are they really more likely to get nicked than if I wait for 10 minutes?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
koru wrote:
It has the ski rack wording about no cover for:
"Winter sports equipment you have left unattended in a public place unless the claim relates to skis, poles or snowboards and you have taken all reasonable care to protect them by leaving them in a ski rack between 10am and 8pm"

I don't quite follow the logic. Are my skis any safer in the ski rack than if I stick them vertically into the snow bank a metre to the left of the ski rack? Must remember to stress to the family that they must always use a rack, even if it is full.

I know it doesn't apply to the vast majority of people but they have to have SOME wording in there to protect them from the dishonest and stupid. If you don't say 'ski rack' or something people will put claim when:
- They were responsibly in the rack.
- They were responsibly in the snow next to the rack.
- They were vertical in the snow, tucked around a dark corner 25m from the rack.
- They just took them off randomly outside and just left them, despite the fact it was snowing (lost, rather than stolen).
- They were nice and safe - right in front of the tracks of the piste basher that was there when they went in.
- They were with the shifty looking guy who said he'd keep an eye on them.

I do agree that a 10am start is a little odd. Clearly they aren't first-lift people - or assume you'll be shamed by your friends shouting "Rule 5!" if you try to go for a wee that early.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ironically, I have only claimed for skis when they fell from the storage area in the eaves to the garage floor and a local ski shop gave me a statement stating that they were beyond economical repair. I was able to claim on my household policy.
Nice to know that if they were stolen from my garage they were covered as well..
ski holidays
Mjit

That sounds right. There might be plenty of other places equally as safe as a ski rack, but coming up with an objective definition of such places, excluding the sort of things you mention, would be tricky.

Then again, at £25 for 4 people, for a week, I can't really grumble about having to make sure I walk a few extra metres to the ski rack, rather than dump my skis against the railings by the restaurant, where everyone else dumps them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy