Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal BA Charter Flight - No More Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
We're flying Edinburgh-Chambery on a BA charter flight the week before Christmas. It was as clear as muck during booking but we have now been told that there is no more space for ski carriage on this flight. Apparently they have a limited allocation on a first come first served basis. I've spoken to Crystal who have not been much help.

Has anyone got round this odd system?

Option 1 - Turn up at the airport and hope for the best (looks like it might be >£50 each way turning up at the airport).
Option 2 - Try and fit everything under our 2x20Kg weight allowance with a double ski bag as one of two checked bags (apparently not allowed) then hope for the best!
Option 3 - Try and ship the skis separately!
Option 4 - Hire Sad I'd rather not do this as I'd rather take our own touring gear which would be expensive to hire in resort.

I'm guessing that this might not be the busiest flight the week before xmas so perhaps plenty of remaining hold space.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B.A. normally let you take one ski bag up to 23kg instead of a suitcase but not if it's a charter flight. It's up to the company (in this case Crystal) to decide the baggage policy.
Are they not allowing you to pay extra for a ski bag? Saying there's no room?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
speachmaus wrote:
B.A. normally let you take one ski bag up to 23kg instead of a suitcase but not if it's a charter flight. It's up to the company (in this case Crystal) to decide the baggage policy.
Are they not allowing you to pay extra for a ski bag? Saying there's no room?

No option to pay more. When booking online it said that you needed to call to book ski carriage. After booking we called to be told that there was no more space left.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
go back to crystal & tell them you was told you could take your ski's. ie blatantly lie!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would just turn up at airport with one ski bag to replace one suitcase. BA has a good hand luggage allowance with no weight restriction plus a personal item. and say you've flown loads of times with BA (I have) and always take ski bag in place of case.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would guess you are going to be on an Embraer, so it is more designed for business travellers with a briefcase and not skiers carrying the kitchen sink. So space in the hold will be limited, so if they say its full it probably is (Flybe have similar issues with their turboprops where ski length has been restricted too). So unless you can get back to the carpark pdq you could be left at the wrong side of security with your skis. For £50 you could probably hire a reasonable set on line before you leave.

Size matters wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottishskier wrote:
It was as clear as muck during booking but we have now been told that there is no more space for ski carriage on this flight.

We are flying Edinburgh to Verona (for the Dolomites) on the 30th December with Crystal and were told at booking that there was restricted space for skis on the flight and that the weight allowance per ski bag was a paltry 15 kg.

I assume that they're using the same aircraft.

It's pretty clear on their website :-

BA Cityflyer Charters (BA)

For the following flights:

Edinburgh to Toulouse
Edinburgh to Chambery
Edinburgh to Salzburg
Edinburgh to Verona

Baggage allowance

Your checked luggage allowance is one bag at 20kg.

Your hand luggage allowance is 5kg per person with maximum dimensions of 56×45×25cm.
Ski carriage

Your ski carriage allowance is one bag at 15kg. Your boots must be carried as part of your hold luggage allowance. Carriage costs £40 return and can be booked by calling us on 020 8610 3123. Space is limited so we recommend adding this to your booking as soon as possible.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't trust Crystal an inch. We turned up at checkin and they went along the queue saying the airline had imposed an extra surcharge and took £30/person. Got to the desk and the airline checking said 'No, no surcharge'. When we went along the line of people queuing the Crystal Rep told us to stop or they'd call airport security and have us removed from the terminal. Never travelled with them again, obviously.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LaForet, Was that some years ago ? :: I had a similar experience. Approaching the baggage hall I spotted a Rep going down the line, but only stopping at people carrying skis. I hide behind a pillar until the Rep disappeared before joining my pals.... (therefore avoiding the surcharge Smile )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If that's a surcharge that hasn't been advertised, they can't apply it at the check in. I'd be suspicious of the courier (genuine? acting for the company or themselves?)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It seems risky to turn up at the airport without anything prebooked. What will you do if they say no?

https://www.luggagemule.co.uk/ quoted me £143.99 return for a ski bag for a similar trip. More than the airport price, but probably less than storing your skis at Edinburgh for a week and hiring some in resort.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I travelled with Crystal a number of times, out of Dublin. Frequently the carrier was Monarch, who had free ski carriage in their terms and conditions manual.

The system works like this:
Turn up with unbooked ski bag to be told at desk that there’s a surcharge. Say you’ve never paid before and that you want someone to check. The check in staff (Monarch) check with the airport desk staff (Monarch) who confirm free carriage. Job done.

In my case it was Crystal charging for the ‘extra’ on ski carriage. I only did this with Monarch flights because I knew the lay of the land. If you can check the land with the carrier and maybe take a punt.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rogg, I don't think this is about charges at all. Its the size of the hold and the weight the thing can take off with. Especially flying out off Chambery where the runway length is short so aircraft are weight limited and if they have a tailwind (you can only take off one way thanks to a mountain) expect bags to be unloaded.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@rogg, I don't think this is about charges at all. Its the size of the hold and the weight the thing can take off with. Especially flying out off Chambery where the runway length is short so aircraft are weight limited and if they have a tailwind (you can only take off one way thanks to a mountain) expect bags to be unloaded.

Yep - don't conflate the two - one opportunism by the TO to extract ancilliary income (see also Ticket on Departure fee for late booking despite everything being an email ref these days) , the other a real aviation safety issue for which baggage would be deplaned.

Think we have this every year on Chambery flights though don't we particularly from the regions?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thelem wrote:
It seems risky to turn up at the airport without anything prebooked. What will you do if they say no?

https://www.luggagemule.co.uk/ quoted me £143.99 return for a ski bag for a similar trip. More than the airport price, but probably less than storing your skis at Edinburgh for a week and hiring some in resort.

Parcel2go are quoting as little as £25 for a package that weighs 10kg with dimensions of 180/25/25. UK to France.

Insurance is extra if you want it, and then you've got to get the skis home again too!
snow report
I suppose you could cancel and try another company. The goods you purchased (ie a ski holiday) was not fit for purpose since you couldn't take your skis with you. Afterall have you tried skiing without skis. Does Scotland have a Sale of goods act?

How can a winter sports company try and sell a product so flawed?
snow report
@johnE, Given that space is limited for ski carriage is included on their website and encourages early booking I think you would be on a hiding to nothing. I don't know the percentage of skiers that take skis but I bet its less that half so to use a cricketing analogy a sticky wicket comes to mind. Also given the relative shortage of ski charters from north of Hadrian's Wall this would potentially create a lot of heartache.

Regarding the flawed product I suspect they have chartered a smaller plane because there is only limited demand from Edinburgh compared with more populace areas of the UK for package holidays. I was no fan of Crystal but when I lived in Fife they were about the only option for a full package. The next stop was Manchester.
ski holidays
@scottishskier, We had this problem going to the Dolomites a couple of years ago, we used https://www.sendmybag.com/ you need to check with the hotel or chalet that they will be OK to accept the delivery, I think it cost about £140 return for two sets of skis in a skibag, happy with the service and would use them again.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
I would guess you are going to be on an Embraer, so it is more designed for business travellers with a briefcase and not skiers carrying the kitchen sink. So space in the hold will be limited, so if they say its full it probably is (Flybe have similar issues with their turboprops where ski length has been restricted too). So unless you can get back to the carpark pdq you could be left at the wrong side of security with your skis. For £50 you could probably hire a reasonable set on line before you leave.

Size matters wink

Even online, £50 will barely cover the most basic planks, decent skis are >£150/week
snow report
@scottishskier, I know it's not much help for the trip you've already booked but IME it's much less hassle to forget about Chambery and Crystal and DIY with Easyjet Edi - Geneva flights.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, Which resort - as it depends on the local cartels. More than decent skis are available at €80 in Tignes.
snow conditions
@swiftoid, Should have DIY'd but seemed like a good idea at the time! I've never bothered with them before and does not encourage me to use them again!

@chocksaway, we're heading to Tignes so that is good news. I seem to have found a place that does touring gear and will allow you to swap during the week too. Looks like around 90Euros a head.
snow report
Crystal usually give you a choice of Chambery or GVA from Edinburgh (Chambery costing a bit more) so could have gone that way and got the luggage on board?
ski holidays
Was Edinburgh->Chambery a Monarch charter in the past by any chance?

Faced a similar issue booking Gatwick->Innsbruck flights for Jan. due to, in that case Thomas Cook offering less ski space on their flights than Monarch had and it all being sold out on the 10:30am flight, so we had to go with the 6am one instead. As the only ski owner in our group I've not yet confessed to my friends that the reason they have a 2-3am alarm, rather than a 6:30-7:30am one is purely because of my skis... Smile
snow report
@scottishskier, Out of interest, where have you found offering a touring set-up for that price?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy