Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I don't have "winter sports" cover what am I missing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bigtipper wrote:
... If my baggage got lost, or the flight was delayed, this would be covered under a normal holiday insurance policy, which I generally would prefer to self insure for.

What I cannot cover or self insure myself, is low frequency extremely large claims like enormous medical expenses or public liability.

Actually if your bags are lost it's the airline's problem, and they will pay out - it's a condition of their operation. That includes stuff like clothes you have to buy whilst you wait for delayed bags to turn up. It's already covered, no need to pay more.

In the extremely rare case that I was hospitalised for the rest of my life, I'd have bigger problems than money, but.... no insurance company would pay anything like the sums they claim to cover to keep me in American hospital care for the rest of my life. Instead they'll pay 100 grand to me you home in an air ambulance (you can google the costs). So they can advertise that they're covering 5M of costs, but actually they're not going to take more than a couple of hundred K.

"Public Liability" is interesting. I wonder precisely what you'd have to do on a ski slope for a liability to arise?. Some risks are inherent in the sport; if you follow the rules and don't behave stupidly, then it may be a challenge for someone to prove you were negligent even if you make a mistake. I'll go and look for some cases. Has anyone here personally either proceeded against anyone in these circumstances or the other way around?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Direct line home insurance provides 'free' worldwide travel insurance with winter sports cover. Anyone like to comment on the pros and cons of this versus dedicated travel insurance. Has anyone claimed on Direct Line and how well did they handle things? Incidentally, this 'free' cover as part of the home insurance plus policy is the same as the policy you can buy separately from them.

I know about pre-existing conditions being excluded btw.

Any experiences?

TIA

Wallport
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just re insured with bmc £181 nearly £100 cheaper than dog tag No altitude limits for glacier skiing unlike some. Covers me for high altitude walking in summer Off piste without a guide, Ice climbing.90 days per year and 45 day single trips limits.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all, maybe it was a bit of a dumb question Embarassed

When I looked again at the policy summary from current insurer I found it explicitly stated they wouldn't pay out for curtailment of trip, or any medical expenses including repatriation, or any compensation for any loss of sight or limbs, or for any liability claim that arose from taking parts in a winter sports activity UNLESS you had opted for winter sports cover.

So then I talked to the insurance company and got them to look again at what I had told them, including my medical declaration and ... the renewal premium dropped from £320 to £167. Shocked Now to see if they can remove the baggage and cancellation cover.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 2-12-17 8:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Layne wrote:
There are a couple of things about MPI. No 1, you can exclude a lot of stuff to bring the cost down, No 2 they do a France only policy and No 3 they are very open about their cover for off piste. bug, that is 3 things.

Exactly. This is why we use them every winter. Once you ditch all the 'tourist' stuff like piste closure, ski pack, cancellation etc the price is ok.

I would hate to think that anyone would try to save a few bob on insurance on the basis of 'advice' from a few internet randoms on Snowheads. Good insurance is vital. If you want to be a cheapskate have a look at the 'ski boots in hand luggage', or similar threads, but whatever you do don’t skimp on insurance.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a little! How do you know what is "good insurance"? Like everything else, the price tag isn't necessarily an indicator. And while Snowheads isn't the be all and end all, there are some knowledgeable posters to discuss it with. The debates and real life stories on buying and claiming on insurance have certainly been interesting and beneficial to me.

Quite right, my post was poorly constructed. First comment was an agreement with yours. The second was an appeal to the OP and anyone else who might be tempted to try to economise on insurance not to do so without due diligence.

Lots of ways to economise on skiing holidays, but IMHO insurance is a poor place to start. Removing the bits of your policy that cover loss of skis, piste closure etc is fine, but we all really need medical, repatriation and third party cover in this day and age.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bigtipper wrote:
Yeh, but do they give you a discount if you are an experienced skier? Suppose all the medical claims are mainly for beginners with no experience of skiing? You could undercut the insurance industry by offering snowheads insurance on better terms, because they have had one week on a snowheads bash!

A no claims discount system would apply!

It’s the more experienced skiers who are at greater risk....

“ Most of those fatally injured are above-average skiers and snowboarders who are going at high rates of speed on the margins of intermediate trails. This is the same population that suffers the majority of unintentional deaths from injury. “ From the NSAA injury stats.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, there are very few fatalities in skiing. Your "winter sports" insurance probably pays out on accidental death, but the bulk of the claims in terms of total cost are not for fatalities.

In fact the bulk of the claims for all skiers will be for small to medium sized medical expenses claims like fixing a bruised, or fractured limb. If you put an excess on the policy, like a car insurance excess, then you could eliminate most of the claims in terms of numbers of claims.

The few claims which result in high cost medical treatment, are the claims which most skiers want insured. Most are not interested in having their life covered for a million pounds in the event of freak accident. They are much more interested in having sufficient cover for a medical expense claim which is beyond their credit card limit. (say £5,000)

An excess of £5,000 would probably mean that an annual medical expense and public liability insurance policy was about £20. I cannot confirm this is true, but that would be my estimate if you could find someone to administer it for those costs and that excess. Generally, it is such a low profit business that insurers will not be eager to participate.

This is why many mutual insurance companies sprung up originally. To cover people who want to pool risks, for no profit. This unfortunately, became organisations which were cumbersome and ungovernable run by people who had limited accountability. The competition could get capital to compete them out of business. Also the volume was key to keeping costs down. With the age of the internet, costs can be kept down by low marketing and sales costs. However, you may still have regulatory hurdles and costs which mean you still need volume to compete.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just renewed the families insurance for 2018- £60 for annual European family travel insurance with ‘winter cover’ - including £20 million medical, ski hire cover, ski equipment loss/damage, off piste (with guide) etc. Multitrip.com
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grachen wrote:
Just renewed the families insurance for 2018- £60 for annual European family travel insurance with ‘winter cover’ - including £20 million medical, ski hire cover, ski equipment loss/damage, off piste (with guide) etc. Multitrip.com

Seems impossibly cheap, who is it with? I want some of that!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slight thread derail, but thanks for all the MPI suggestions above. They were vastly better priced than anyone else I looked at by virtue (I think) of a sensible approach to optional extras (i.e. I could delete a lot of unnecessary stuff) and the ability to restrict to France.

They also appear to understand racing - other policies I looked at didn't make the distinction between low-mid level fun/amateur events and full on FIS and international races. As a result I managed to get a year's cover for the whole family, including racing and off piste, for £170.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Asked my current insurer if they could remove the cover for baggage but it only cut £9 off the premium.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just did a search on a travel insurance supermaket website for an annual multi-trip insurance policy with winter sports included. £15.82 was the best price.

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/travel-insurance/enquiry/details?qr=65145729&rid=6933396186

Anyone know any pitfalls of such a cheap policy?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper wrote:
I just did a search on a travel insurance supermaket website for an annual multi-trip insurance policy with winter sports included. £15.82 was the best price.

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/travel-insurance/enquiry/details?qr=65145729&rid=6933396186

Anyone know any pitfalls of such a cheap policy?

Well one suspects the level of cover would be poor and that the claims process designed to minimise pay out. Think Ryanair.

Who was the £15.82 with?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The link unfortunately did not seem to save the details, which were obviously on some cookie on my computer on a temporary basis. There was £250 excess, which seemed reasonable given the cost. The details have not been sent to my email address either. (as yet) I think it was some company with multi in the name.

A re-run of my details and it was called multitrip.com. Its website says annual travel insurance from £19.99, so it must be doing a discount for the supermarket website.

I thought it was the most basic policy on offer, however it had adequate medical insurance, off piste insurance cover, and medical rescue insurance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy