Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing week of Dec 11th - any "good" options?

Poster: A snowHead
Being forced to take time off work (stupid carry over policy at work) so I have a week off from Dec 11. Any recommendations on where might be a good option to go for 4-5 days at this time of year in France or Austria. Easy access would be preferred. I have accepted that off piste will be limited (if any) so on piste will have to do. Was thinking maybe Tignes or Val D. I like Les Arc but nothing much seems to be open there at the moment. Any ideas?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BMG,

Chamonix is opening most areas 8th. I’ll do you an awesome deal on accommodation...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl, lots of pistes open, but it is Austrian.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Sherpa in Morzine are doing a pre exmas deal £100/person up to 4 nights bed and breakfast. It's a great deal if avoriaz is open.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You were right to think of Tignes and Val d’Isère.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@margaret, which means it's far better than France, Italy, Switzerland etc. etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Salzburg area in Austria is set to see a significant dump of snow early next week. Existing snow levels are also good so the new snow should open up a fair amount of offpiste..
Places such as Kaprun, Kaunertal and Dachstein could have a base over 3m by the second week of Dec.

https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/wetter/schneevorhersage/

https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 30-11-17 19:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BMG, yes, Espace Killy and the other obvious area is 3V. PdS too if great start to season continues. I know longer range weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable, but there's mostly snowy days forecast for that period.
Personally I'd leave booking late and if beneficial book somewhere with a decent amount of tree lined skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BMG, We are running a trip in the 3 Valleys and snow is fab at the moment, click on signature link for details.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
San Cassiano, in Albergo Frohsinn with www.dolomitesunltd.com. Dolomites looking very snowy and lots of runs ready
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are already living the dream in Tignes and Val, irrespective of any forecast Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BMG, Some pretty pictures on the Saalbach threads at the moment...

If you've not been there it's a cracking area
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mountainsun, Tignes chalet company or Dragon Lodge are other good options for Tignes early season.

Verbier (train from Geneva)

Or Youth hostel Half-board in Zermatt is a good option too and a decent place to stay and meet other folks. (Train all the way to Zermatt from Geneva airport?).

If you end up at the youth hostel in Zermatt they do dorm or private rooms and take the half board option as other 'eating out' options in the evening are eye watering.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMG wrote:
Being forced to take time off work (stupid carry over policy at work) so I have a week off from Dec 11. Any recommendations on where might be a good option to go for 4-5 days at this time of year in France or Austria. Easy access would be preferred. I have accepted that off piste will be limited (if any) so on piste will have to do.

I guess you haven't been checking the forecasts/webcams/reports?

Conditions in Tirol at least are excellent (and not just for the time of year) with plenty of offpiste in play: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134058. Less competition for powder at this time of year too...

Fly into Innsbruck or Munich and take your pick of resorts! Arlberg, Ischgl, Kitzbühel...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@BMG, Some pretty pictures on the Saalbach threads at the moment...

The Ski Circus is enjoying its best early season conditions for many years. The lift company has said that all lifts and the whole 250km area will be fully open from 7th Dec. Should be plenty of off-piste too - Fieberbrunn being "Austria's best-kept off-piste skiing secret" and currently having more snow than either Tignes or Val d'Isere. More dumps forecast too.
@BMG, We might be able to help with accommodation - PM me if interested.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Fieberbrunn being "Austria's best-kept off-piste skiing secret"

That might be one claim to far given it's hosted a FWT event for years! Completely agree it's a great ski area, but a long way from being Austria's best kept offpiste secret wink
snow report
@BMG, the snow conditions in the Alps are amazing at the moment and only look like getting better. Best year for December powder in years. Your timing looks perfect!
latest report
Yes, it is a great start to the season for everywhere except parts of Italy and Switzerland.

Lech, Ischgl and Val d'Isere will be good bets.
ski holidays
@clarky999, hence the quotation marks wink
latest report
Thanks for all the info so far.......decisions decisions......looks like a storm coming in later in the week so will keep an eye on the forecast and make my mind up. Looks to be a much better start than last year Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy