Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau, Wildschönau, Ski Juwel

Poster: A snowHead
@symondsg, fingers crossed then, where are you staying?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chris_n, we're in Pension Hannes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

@stevios, it's through Co-op through Crystal. I've been assured that it's going ahead so fingers crossed.

Hope you are ok but unless Co-op are flying you there I think you might have an issue. Got this from Crystal earlier

We're aware that the Austrian Government have announced that UK travellers aged 16 and over need to quarantine upon arrival for 10 days, unless they've had a booster jab and have a negative PCR result from a test taken within 72 hours before their flight arrival time.

Unfortunately, due to the short notice of this announcement and the likely difficulty in getting a PCR test over the festive period, we've made the difficult decision to cancel our holidays to Austria departing on the 27th December.

Pretty annoying given the actual new rules this afternoon. Particularly as we had PCR’s organised just in case.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevios, that's concerning. The holiday is through Crystal and the flight is Thompson. I've also been able to get a PCR test for my daughter, Randox have a pre-flight kit for £43 and are working over Christmas. I've emailed the travel agent to double check if she's got the same notice. I've not had anything yet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
symondsg wrote:
@Chris_n, we're in Pension Hannes.

That is next door to where I live, are you able to come or have you been cancelled?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n, at the moment we've been cancelled as TUI cancelled the flight. We're now looking to book via Iglu but I think all of us over 12 will need a negative PCR test so we have to get two more booked.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heavy snow all day today Razz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good snowHead

Must be a microclimate. Trying to watch various skiing events on TV today and most of Europe seems to have rain, fog and warm slushy snow today. Can't wait to get there again. Just hoping that the restrictions on travel ease off and don't get worse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spent most of yesterday skiing in a Christmas card with snow falling all day. Was only forecast for a sprinkling overnight but we have woken to 15-20cm in the village. Kitzbuel downhill race due on Saturday has been rescheduled due to 30 to 60cm of snow forecast. Conditions should be perfect for anyone coming in the next few weeks, and UK has been removed from the virus variant list so travelling is becoming easier too snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic news all around Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chris_n, all sounds good, we are there on 29th with four friends. So we don’t want huge crowds please!
Currently in Hinterthal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pamski, unfortunately having spoken to a few hoteliers / restaurant owners the 29th is when we start to get busy. I guess we aren't anywhere near completely full until mid February though so should be ok for you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
20 of us due on 5th Feb, can't wait. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris_n, thank you!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great to hear you are getting some good snow. Enjoy Eh oh! we aren’t coming out until 5th of March so hope the snow keeps getting topped up.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, Can we still get the lift passes the day before we need them from the ticket office? If so, any idea what time we can pick them up from?

After a lot of messing around with changed flights, my friends having to cancel and rebook for March due to one of them not meeting the entry criteria, then cancelling the new booking and rebooking for February but on an early flight to Strazburg instead of the late one to Innsbruck once the rules changed again, then phone calls to Crystal Ski to get me swapped to the same flight as them, we think we now have everything sorted out and will be getting to Niederau around midday on 5th February. I am so glad I have booked for 2 weeks this time. Once we get there it will be really worthwhile. snowHead
snow conditions
@J Rhiannon, yes you can still get your tickets the day before, no real time constraints on what time you buy then just tell them they are to start tomorrow. I believe they are active from 3pm. You will need to take your vaccine proof with you when you buy them for them to activate them. I hope you are flying to Salzburg as the transfer will be somewhat better than Strasbourg wink
snow report
@Chris_n, Eh oh! I meant Salzburg but my phone keeps over- ruling me. I did enjoy a week in Strasbourg over one New Year as a student and it was well worth a visit, but I’m not going there next week.

Thanks for the info. We prefer to buy as much as we can in the village rather than via the tour operator if we can. We saw the info on having to link the lift passes to our vaccine proof, so we want to make sure we aren’t rushing to sort that out on the Sunday morning.
latest report
@J Rhiannon, if you take your proof and I.D. with you they will link your pass for you, if not you can do it online.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, I saw that. We thought it would be best to take it all to the ticket office and let them do it for us - to avoid any mistakes. I think the Crystal rep could link it up for us too.

I did look into linking it all up from here before we come out, but it involved creating a long term lift pass to be reused every year and having it posted to us. We didn't want to risk delays in the post.
snow conditions
@J Rhiannon, I wouldn't rely on the rep to do anything, at the moment there is only one rep and she is run off her feet. There are normally 3 or 4 plus a resort manager. There is promise of another next week but they will still be very busy.
ski holidays
Very windy today in Niederau from around 1. The gondola and four man chair were stopped. We had lunch up at the top and had two non skiers with us and there was a very young family in the cafe too, and eventually a message was got to the cafe that they could go down in five minutes. Actually took longer than that I think, but our friends and the young mum and her kids were eventually downloaded with the gondola going very slowly with the odd stop along the way. It appeared that skiers from the little church area were being skidooed back to the gondola. We skied down and it was fine, lovely new snow on the surface and only the four of us and two snow boarders we saw on the way. Certainly windy though.
We had been up the Lanerkopf lift and down that run first thing a couple of times and it was in good Nick then so will get better after the snow today.
Staying in the comfortable Bruner apartments and good supper last night at the Simmelwirt. They do good liver there!
ski holidays
@Pamski, when conditions have any potential for wind I won't take a group up unless they can ski the whole way down. Usually Mittermoos is pretty sheltered but the run down from there needs a little more respect.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, yes I was surprised that our friends said skiers were being skidood back to the gondola but they said they looked a bit shaky and were snow ploughing so probably safest. I will keep my eye out for you this week Chris.
latest report
@Pamski, I'm normally to be found in the Hexenalm at about 4, other than that I'm one of the few in a red jacket wink I think there are only 7 of us with adult groups this week, a big improvement on the 3 or 4 last week.
ski holidays
Interesting - if it was too Windy in Niederau, I wonder what the top of Auffach was like
ski holidays
@EggRider, it depends on the wind direction but often Auffach is less windy than Niederau.
ski holidays
I am staying in Brunner apartments next week. If I see you in Hexenalm I'll introduce myself and buy you a beer Chris for all the excellent advice and information you have provided here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peter2512, thanks Peter, unless it is heaving you can be sure I'll be there at some point.
latest report
@peter2512, I am sure it will be comfortable. We are in 5 this week and previously in another probably 2. We used to stay here when it was Gasthof Brunner many many years ago. And before that I stayed in the Staffler….over 50 years ago. So although we have been to many places, had our own chalet in Les Gets for 19 years we do always enjoy a trip back here.
Stayed in most of the hotels but I think our worst experience was the Austria eight or so ago - no eager with dinner although we were buying copious bottles of wine.
ski holidays
Quite stormy on the mountains today. Auffach was completely closed the whole day, Niederau only had the lifts in the valley open, Alpbach opened the two gondolas and one chairlift after a late start. Unfortunately in the valleys it was quite warm with a lot of slush on the roads etc but the pistes were in reasonable condition. We are forecast another 10cm or so tonight and the wind is supposed to drop so here's hoping we can get on the mountain tomorrow.
snow report
@Chris_n, thanks for all that. We used the T bar at Tennladen mid morning which was quite busy. One ride up with my husband convinced me yet again that I am much better on my own! We ended up having coffee at the Cristoffel as the Tennladen cafe was closed today - with all those people around - and then had lunch at the Christoffel. Watching all the time to see of the other lifts opened. Let’s hope things improve tomorrow. As Chris says, the pistes are still reasonably good and I have been watching the piste bashers up and down the Lanerkopf this evening.
snow report
I’m lead to believe a fair bit of snow has fallen past 24/48 hrs in Niederau?.. flying out this Saturday, hoping to have some good conditioned pists?
ski holidays
I was speaking to the ski school today to arrange lessons for my complete beginner wife, they said excellent snow conditions. I am there for a week, possibly 2, with the car, looking for other skiers, particularly those who are keen for a bit of off piste/touring. But happy enough to do anything.
snow report
@Pamski, the only person I can't ride a T bar with is my wife apparently I push her and her skis about wink don't get any complaints from clients snowHead
@nevis1003, when are you coming?
latest report
@Chris_n, clients wouldn’t dare! Huge dinner at Schneberrgers tonight. It is so quiet at the moment.
latest report
@Chris_n, You never pushed my skis about on the T bar - not unless I really needed pushing anyway. I may have pushed you though. I think you may have had to drag me to the top on Kropfrader when I got off a tiny bit too early.

Funniest moment I had on a T bar was when Walter had to swing on me to drag me off the Tennladen one as I was starting to go much too high on my first ever go when he was just showing us how to get on and off. We were supposed to only go about 10 yards, but I nearly got to the tree line with him running uphill after me.

Hope the winds are dying down again now. snowHead
snow report
Today must go down as one of the most enjoyable for a long time. The wind had died down so the lifts were running in Niederau. We went up the gondola first thing, straight down on the most perfect snow, over via the little poma to the Lanerkopf chair and went up and down that run at least six times with a coffee break in the middle. Lunched at Rubezhal’s with the non skiing members of our group - lunch a bit average but ok - and then found the run back down under the gondola practically deserted so another four runs down there before I decided to call it a day and finish on a good note. I worked out this morning that the total ages of us on the four man chair was just 2 shy of 300 so I think we are doing ok.

Yesterday morning one of our friends was having a quick trial up the short poma as he had altered his boots a bit. When he got almost to the top the woman in front of him warrived, let the poma go, and then took her phone out and made a call. She hadn’t moved off the track. So the lift stopped, our friend called out to her, the liftie in the hut banged on the window all to no avail. In the end she came out of the hut and had to pull the woman to one side.
snow conditions
Sad to report 2 fatalities due to avalanche, a local couple were ski touring near Auffach. The alarm was raised when they had not returned at 9.30pm and the bodies were located at 0.40am after a large search involving mountain rescue, search dogs, a police helicopter and the fire brigade with a drone. RIP.
Stay safe, avalanche risk is high at the moment after all of the snow and wind last week, at least 15 avalanches in Tirol alone yesterday most involving skiing or snowboarding.
snow conditions
That is extremely sad news.

We have indeed been blessed with lots of new snow this week and our last couple of days when the sun returned we had some of our most enjoyable for ages, in good company which is always fun. There have been so few people around that one could ski down the Lanerkopf without seeing a soul.

Little bit more snow overnight, so it will look good as we drive down the mountain in an hour or so, friends returning from Salzburg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy