Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau, Wildschönau, Ski Juwel

Poster: A snowHead
@ado, wot @J Rhiannon said. Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hero snow today with better visibility. Much colder and more snow forecast overnight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ado, we flew into Munich on a few occasions and took the train to Worgl and there were always taxis at the station to go up to Niederau.
We also took transfers from the airport, called something like Four Seasons which were based in Innsbruck although that was a few years ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pamski, how long is it since you were here?
Four Seasons still exists, also known as Tirol Taxi https://www.tirol-taxi.at .I've used them myself in the past.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey @Chris_n thanks again for the great lessons this week. I managed red 24 today so feeling quite pleased with myself Toofy Grin

Auffach tomorrow and then home, comes around too soon.

Paul
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n, last in the village two or three years ago but in the summer and driving. Winter was four years ago I think and we drove. When we are back at the end of January with some friends it will be 50 years since David first skied there, 48 since I first skied there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ado, You can book Magreitter skis with Skiset. Yes, ski pass from the ticket office by the gondola. Just above Magreitters. I think you can only get them in advance via a tour operator.

I know quite a few people who fly into Munich, get train to Worgl (I think there may be 1 change, but apparently the people at the ticket office in Munich give excellent instructions) and there are buses from Worgl to Niederau, but otherwise a taxi.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Again thanks - will do the train transfer I think. Daughter 2 studying German in college - she wants to show off her skills! We are staying SC in Alpengruss apartments on Erlenweg. Will do a mix of eating out and making a spag bol! Googlemaps says about 10/12 mins walk to gondola/centre of town/ski hire etc. so will definitely look to have skis in a ski deposit near gondola. I think there is a supermarket selling essentials in the village also where i will pickup some breakfast items!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ado, I'll give you a wave we are on the hill looking down on you. You are hiding behind the bigger tree on the pic below. Erlenweg is close to the bus stop at the end of Wildenbach as you come into the village.

There are 2 supermarkets in the village, both are open restricted hours on Sundays. Normal days they open early and close at 6.30.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...loadsa snow! Very Happy Very Happy . I shall wave back upon arrival. Our flight arrives in Munich at 12:15. Hopefully all going well we would get to Niederau by 16:15ish. Would the ski hire shops/ski school be Open then? Be nice to be able to grab the equipment/book lessons the day before. Oh, was also wondering - if I am self-catering will I have to bring towels and rent bed linen etc? Or is that typically provided?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski hire and ski school will be open at 16.15, ski school closes at 17.00. You can book ski school online via the link at the bottom of my posts, the website is available in English.
Towels and bed linen are provided usually, if there is a charge it will be stated on your booking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @Chris_n,

A few days ago you said "Snow at Auffach was very good, all of the extra pistes that aren't on the map are open", I'm intrigued by that! Are there "pistes" that are extra to the map (I have the ski Juwel map in front of me)?

I'll be a first time visitor to Niederau from 2nd February and am very much looking forward to it. I spend a lot of my skiing time in France and have only skied Zillertal (several times) and Kitzbuhel (once, many years ago) in Austria. I very much enjoyed the Zillertal ambience!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andyrew, most of the pistes that are shown on the map at Auffach have snowmaking, there are a couple of variants that aren't shown for clarity on the map that have no snowmaking. Start and finish points are the same but there are variations of steepness and terrain (bumpy). For instance there are actually 2 blacks to the first chair but one is marked as a Bukelpiste (moguls) and is only prepared when heavy snow is expected.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pwharman, been a bit busy on here nearly missed your message, pleased you enjoyed it. Maybe we will see you and Paula again next year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris_n, quick question. Looking at the Ski Juwel piste map I see a number of ski routes marked. I know these aren't groomed or patrolled but are they avalanche controlled? TIA.
snow report
@swiftoid, They are not in significant avalanche risk areas. Some of the off piste in Auffach and Alpbach is controlled as it is close to pistes. The more serious stuff away from the lifts in all areas is not controlled.
Avalanche risk is currently at level 4.
Been snowing non stop all night and day, forecast to carry on until Friday!
snow report
40cm overnight @900m and still snowing snowHead
snow report
@Chris_n, thanks for the answer. Can't wait to get out there in a month's time snowHead
snow conditions
@andyrew - I will be in Niederau from 2nd too - if you see a skier on the slopes with a reflective red dragon on the front of their black ski-helmet, feel free to say hello

@Chris_n - Thanks for the snow reports looks like a lot of Austria has seen significant snowfall in the last couple of days. Hopefully I will see you again this year. As usual, I will be hanging around with @J Rhiannon. (some of the time… Wink )
snow report
After a very brief spell of blue sky yesterday afternoon normal service has been resumed with another 30cm overnight at 900m.
@EggRider, see you soon.
latest report
Looking forward to coming back to niederau on Saturday but will we get there ?
And is there a such a thing as to much snow
snow conditions
@Beans, of course you'll get here snowHead , still snowing lightly this morning. We are due for a day of respite tomorrow but we'll wait and see!
snow conditions
A little more snow overnight after our first sunny day for a while!

ski holidays
Lanerköpflbahn (chairlift) reopened this afternoon after being closed for 2 days waiting for a helicopter to become available to blow snow out of the overloaded trees near to the cable! Skiing is epic today with tracks all over the hills facing the ski slopes.
ski holidays
Excellent ski today, i feel like im in a Christmas card. Very Happy
snow report
Another 20 cm overnight Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
The same amount each day until we get there will do very nicely. snowHead And then for the rest of the season for everyone else of course.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
Another 20 cm overnight Toofy Grin snowHead

Will hopefully be there in two weeks. Jumbulance are coming back

Please say hello to us if you see us out there. We don't bit and would have had breakfast or lunch !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crazy weather continues, rain / sleet last night hasn't caused too much deterioration in the pistes. I'm sure the water will drain away with the depth of snow everywhere. Snowing heavily again this afternoon into evening with temperatures dropping. Storm force winds closed chairlifts and gondolas early today and more trees have come down with the combination of snow weight and wind. Avalanche control have been busy with their explosives this afternoon to keep everything safe.
Tomorrow sees winds dropping, snow stopping and some sunshine so time for a bit of a breather!
ski holidays
Perfect conditions today. Blue skies and corduroy snow. What a day Very Happy
snow report
Another dusting overnight, just to keep the trees looking pretty.
snow report
Very cold and clear overnight here atm. Despite the masses of snow we have already snow is being made overnight in the Arena area.
snow report
@Chris_n, thanks for the updates. See you on the slopes Monday hopefully.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, May I ask you a question. Will Open Faces make Ski Juwel very busy on the Saturday making a trip to Hopfgarten-Markt a good idea that day? (I might quite fancy a little bit of an exploration anyway and will have a car.)
https://www.skijuwel.com/en/news/events/open-faces-alpbachtal_event_8160
snow conditions
@James the Last, it will only affect Alpbach, but if you are looking for an excuse to try Skiwelt then it's as good as any snowHead
snow report
Thanks. There pretty much *is* only Alpbach in Ski Juwel... snowHead
latest report
I’m going to be coming to Ski Juwel for a day trip by car as it’s covered on my lift pass. Where is best to park for the easiest/best access and is it free?
snow report
No idea if it's true, but: https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/ski-juwel-alpbachtal-wildschoenau/test-result/arrival-parking/
ski holidays
@James the Last, thanks
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 Free parking right next to the lifts at Alpbach or Auffach. Depends which is easiest for you to get to.

Of the two (we skied both on three days at Ski Jewel recently) - we preferred the ski area of Auffach. Bigger and more varied. Also, despite the fresh snow, the valley runs at Alpbach were a bit worn and slick as the area was busier overall than Auffach.

We also skied Niederau, which is very small but had excellent snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy